Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Top Ten Reasons why you cant make a living in Israel
1  2  Next

Did this video change your perspective on ability to make a living in EY?
Yes  
 27%  [ 3 ]
No  
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

jessica3

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:19 am

scruffy

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:26 am
Making aliyah is my dream.

This video is nice but doesn't give a balanced picture...

The reality is it's hard to make it work

ארץ ישראל נקנית ביסורים

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:34 am
The one thing I wish I'd done differently before making Aliyah, is to take at least a year of conversational Ivrit.

I tell EVERYONE that this will make your adjustment a thousand times easier. If you can pass the tests for Ulpan Aleph and Bet, you can go straight to an Ulpan that is geared towards learning the terms that apply directly to your field. There are Ulpanim for doctors, lawyers, engineers, electricians, plumbers, whatever you need.

Aside from that, there are more and more Anglos moving to Israel, and the need for native English speakers is going up every year. If you already speak French or Spanish as well, then you have an even greater chance of landing a job, as there are many olim coming from those backgrounds as well.

Contact Nefesh b'Nefesh and find out if your degree is transferable, and if not, what you need to do to get recertified in Israel. Usually just a few university courses are all that's needed, and then you have a double degree.

Every bit of knowledge you have puts you one step closer to success, so learn, learn, learn!

jessica3

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 7:34 am
95% information Americans have about aliyah is from people that have either never made aliyah, or are amongst the 5% that tried but failed. This video actually tries to bring the balance back and show the whole story. Living in EY is hard, but so is everything that is good in life.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 8:02 am
Your subject line is really bad. And it has nothing to do with the video.
What is the nachlieli program?

Also, there are so many jobs in israel, for so many different professions and careers.

Please explain why this program believes many people think its THAT hard to find a job here?

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 8:40 am
1. What is this project? They never say.
2. They interviewed a bunch of people who are employed in Israel. I know about 1000 people like this and I knew people like this before I made aliyah. I don't understand why this video needed to be made. If someone is contemplating aliyah, wouldn't he/she speak to people they know in Israel?

No, this video didnt change anything for me I find it a bit strange.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 9:07 am
Nachliel is a grassroots organization trying to increase chareidi aliyah. They work closely with Naava Kodesh and Avira D'eretz Yisroel. All have the same goal and are focusing on different areas.

IsraeliSoul

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 9:34 am
I don’t think there are reasons why we “can’t” make a living in Israel, but rather reasons why it can be difficult

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:44 am
Oysh. Where are the women in the video? Also, there is no way that I could make aliyah based on someone else’s bitachon that Hashem determines parnassah. Maybe if we see real statistics - how many families in RBS are making it work, how many are flying to NY once a month versus working in Israel full time, how many married children move back versus stay, also do the children have the ability to pursue any career like they do in the US or are they artificially limited ...

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:57 am
Most hi-tech jobs are in English. Just saying.

And pay well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
Nachliel is a grassroots organization trying to increase chareidi aliyah. They work closely with Naava Kodesh and Avira D'eretz Yisroel. All have the same goal and are focusing on different areas.
Ok, so then again, why would you make the subject line for this post in the negative?
And this video might help charedi potential olim, definitely not other olim, but I dont actually see anything being said that wouldnt already be know to anyone with common sense. But thats my opinion.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:18 am
jessica3 wrote:
95% information Americans have about aliyah is from people that have either never made aliyah, or are amongst the 5% that tried but failed. This video actually tries to bring the balance back and show the whole story. Living in EY is hard, but so is everything that is good in life.

Does it bring balance? It seems it's focusing on around 8 people who successfully transitioned and are doing financially well in Israel. What about the families that are struggling? What are the actual real numbers? If I interview 100 people that have all won the lottery it might appear that winning the lottery is for everyone. I'm not comparing making a living in Israel to winning the lottery. I'm just saying that this video seems like it's promotional and not intended to give a realistic picture of what it's like to make a living in Israel.

That being said, I would LOVE to make aliya one day!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 12:21 pm
jessica3 wrote:
To be fair, this video is not balanced at all. It only shows male charedi men who have made aliyah.
There are sooooo many other types of people who make aliyah, and SUCCEED.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:46 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
To be fair, this video is not balanced at all. It only shows male charedi men who have made aliyah.
There are sooooo many other types of people who make aliyah, and SUCCEED.

Seriously!
I know so many women who completely reinvented their careers when they made aliyah. why not interview them?
What about non chareidim?
And I still dont like the title of this post. Why so negative?
Anyone who isn't lazy can make a living anywhere, I firmly believe that. If people want to blame Israel for their failure to make a living, they are wrong.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:56 pm
Fair enough for it to be interviewing only charedi men if this organization is encouraging American charedi families to make aliya.
It's very normal to target a certain sector of the community, it makes it easier.

Still don't quite get what exactly the organization does.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:07 pm
People with the sort of backgrounds the people in this video have do not have a problem finding jobs in Israel. This is not new information.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:24 pm
DrMom wrote:
People with the sort of backgrounds the people in this video have do not have a problem finding jobs in Israel. This is not new information.

Exactly.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:48 pm
I don't understand the title of this thread or what it has to do with the video or poll. I also don't understand what the video and the poll have to do with each other, but perhaps that's because I'm already living in Israel. Were I not already here but considering aliyah, I don't think the video would have any bearing on my decision. I am not a charedi man and the experiences of a handful of charedi men have no bearing on my decision making process.

If you are trying to address the question of whether it is possible to make a living wage in Israel, and the misconception that it is not, you are approaching the issue from the wrong angle.

It is not hard to make a living wage here. Let me clarify: it is not hard to make an ISRAELI living wage here. If you are willing to send your children to municipal schools, to live in a medium/small apartment, to have only one car (if that), to not eat out often or buy luxury products from home, to not buy new wardrobes every season or the most fashionable stroller, then you can make do with surprisingly little here. It may not be easy but in my opinion what you gain from it far outweighs the challenges.

But if you have a difficult time acclimating to a new way of life, if you still want to travel to the States or wherever you're from on a regular basis, if you want to have a home with a yard and have familiar creature comforts and purchase familiar products or dine out regularly or buy convenience foods and items, if you want to hold lavish simchas or be up to date on trends or send your kids to expensive schools or camps, then you will struggle. And you might fail.

The trick is, with any way of life, to budget. Figure out what your total earning potential, as a couple, is and then figure out what lifestyle will fit in that budget. I can tell you from experience that if you live the above-mentioned modest Israeli lifestyle, you can make do with surprisingly little, certainly within most families' earning potential.

Last edited by Teomima on Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

LisaS

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:50 pm
The point of the organization is that chareidim face more challenges when making aliya than other religious sectors. They often have a different educational background and a harder time fitting into the chareidi communities in Israel for various reasons.

As for the video, I agree with the above comments. If you are in hi-tech come tomorrow morning.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:04 am
LisaS wrote:
The point of the organization is that chareidim face more challenges when making aliya than other religious sectors. They often have a different educational background and a harder time fitting into the chareidi communities in Israel for various reasons.

As for the video, I agree with the above comments. If you are in hi-tech come tomorrow morning.

Didn't watch the video - but honestly if you aren't willing to either choose Chareidi or Dati Leumi - you will have a ton of difficulty.

Is this addressed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions