Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hospital.stay

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:12 pm
My baby is scheduled for surgery next week. Bh I've never been in the hospital and especially overnight before. How does it work? Do people generally stay here the whole time or go home in between? She will have to be there for a week following surgery. Is there anything I should specifically take with me? Any other tips you have?

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:15 pm
How old is the child? Hospitals may require one parent/caregiver at the bedside at all times.

Which hospital? Is there a kosher pantry / Bikur Cholim?

I have had a child in the hospital for a week post op. Feel free to PM me.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:21 pm
I wouldn't leave a child unattended in the hospital. Try to work out that someone should be there with her at all times. If you're in NY, contact Chesed 24/7 with any questions you have regarding food and other questions. Bring babies favorite blanket & toys.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:33 pm
INSPIREME wrote:
How old is the child? Hospitals may require one parent/caregiver at the bedside at all times.

Which hospital? Is there a kosher pantry / Bikur Cholim?

I have had a child in the hospital for a week post op. Feel free to PM me.

4 months old. I plan on staying there the whole week. How does it work with sleeping? DH plans on coming and going

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
I wouldn't leave a child unattended in the hospital. Try to work out that someone should be there with her at all times. If you're in NY, contact Chesed 24/7 with any questions you have regarding food and other questions. Bring babies favorite blanket & toys.
Good luck!

Its in Columbia. Thanks!

INSPIREME

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:34 pm
Each hospital has their own set of rules - also depends on which department the child will be in. You would need to ask your specific hospital for their regulations and expectations.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 10:50 pm
One parent can stay with the child at all times. Columbia has a couch that you can sleep on in every room. You should never leave the baby alone. Because of covid, visitors are limited. Depending on which unit, you will be able to take turns with one or two other people. They will need to be approved and on the list, requirement basically a covid test.

Call chesed 24/7 for meals. Since the chesed room opened recently, its possible they can leave it there for you.

Take along babys favorite blankie, robe for sleeping, headgear, slippers, whatever you need to get comfortable and things to do when baby is sleeping. Don't forget chargers for phone, tablet

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its in Columbia. Thanks!

I work there. Each room has parent beds. Fairly comfortable. If you’re nursing you’ll also get a parent tray of food at each meal. Each room also has a fridge. What else would you like to know?

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its in Columbia. Thanks!

There's a couch in the room that converts into a bed. They give a blanket and pillows. There are showers that parents can use. I'm not sure if the chesed room in children's hospital is open already, but it's usually fully stocked. Contact chesed 24/7 for information. I also got a tray of hospital food in my room every meal. The chesed food is way better.
On the post op ward they have rooms with 2,3, or 4 patients. You can ask for them to try to put you in a 2 patient room, the window side is even better. Private rooms are usually only for kids that have to be in isolation, but you can try your luck.
Good luck!

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 14 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
There's a couch in the room that converts into a bed. They give a blanket and pillows. There are showers that parents can use. I'm not sure if the chesed room in children's hospital is open already, but it's usually fully stocked. Contact chesed 24/7 for information. On the post op ward they have rooms with 2,3, or 4 patients. You can ask for them to try to put you in a 2 patient room, the window side is even better. Private rooms are usually only for kids that have to be in isolation, but you can try your luck.
Good luck!

Chesed room is open but only drop off and pickup (no minyanim there; no table and chairs)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 5:56 am
Thanks so much for all the info! How does it generally work with shabbos?

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 6:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Be more specific? Re: food? You’ll inform 24/7 that you’ll be there over shabbos and they’ll leave the food bag in the bikur Cholim room for you to go pickup up. You eat in your room. Unless you’re asking something else? (Like Halachos you should know when spending shabbos in hospital? Best to speak to your rabbi about that)

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

For food, let chessed 24/7 know that you'll be there over shabbos. Ask a Rav about using shabbos elevators. The doors to the ward are electronic, so you'll need to wait for someone to go in/out to go with them. Usually nurses will open the door for you if they see you there, they're used to frum Jews by now. If the refrigerator has a light, make sure to take the bulb out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:59 am
Thanks. Do u know if both parents can be there?

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Do u know if both parents can be there?

Yes, afaik, both parents can be there. I was there one shabbos alone, I thought I'd be fine and told DH that he doesn't need to come, and I regretted it so badly. It was such a hard shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics