Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How to eat-Israel's food rainbow

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:35 am
Israel has come up with a new version of the food pyramid: the food rainbow. I absolutely love this idea because it really embraces the Mediterranean diet that we have here. Instead of putting such a heavy focus on carbs and meat, like many other western diets, it encourages a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and some whole grains, as well as encouraging the consumption of healthy fats, with animal proteins being near the bottom of the list.

I find this especially interesting right now, and wanted to share, because lately there have been so many posts here about the Jewish dietary lifestyle (mainly focused on the Ashkenazic approach of lots of meats and carbs) and people struggling with getting enough vegetables into their diet. These are things I, and I think many of my fellow Israelis, have a hard time identifying with, since our local diet is so different. This new food rainbow really does portray the way many Israelis eat.
(The website is in Hebrew but the rainbow is a visual infographic)

https://www.efsharibari.gov.il.....diet/

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:52 am
Seems on point to me

And it's a lot more relevant than counting general macros.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 5:59 am
Thanks for sharing. This is really interesting. Look forward to reading up on it!

corolla

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:12 am
This looks amazing, but there is a slice of bread in the green section.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:16 am
corolla wrote:

Yes, because it includes whole grains in the green area instead of carbs being their own category.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:47 am
corolla wrote:

Whole grain bread - לחם שחור.

In this rainbow, whole grains are plants.

Labaneh and hummus (homemade) are healthy fats. (An essential assistant for digesting a plant-based diet)

And bourekas are a not-recommended "red
zone" snack food.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 7:52 am
I also like that it differentiates between meat (and other foods) in its raw state vs. processed. I don't think I've seen another dietary chart that doesn't equate steak and hotdogs.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 8:25 am
Last time we were in Israel I remember we went to the Biblical Zoo. We (from the US) had brought things like pretzels and granola bars for snacks (carb heavy but easy to transport and not perishable). We were sitting and snacking and then looked around and noticed that all the Israelis who were eating had brought containers of cut up fruits and veggies.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
Last time we were in Israel I remember we went to the Biblical Zoo. We (from the US) had brought things like pretzels and granola bars for snacks (carb heavy but easy to transport and not perishable). We were sitting and snacking and then looked around and noticed that all the Israelis who were eating had brought containers of cut up fruits and veggies.

It's true. Summer time everyone takes watermelon for snacks, I love it. Obviously you'll still see Bamba here, but granola bars are so expensive whereas cukes and carrots are cheap and readily available and yes, very healthy. Overall there's less of a single serving snack culture here. I go to the States and see my friends and family shop, I look at stores there, and there's so much single serving snack food, most of it high in carbs and sugars and all of it heavily processed.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:15 pm
Teomima wrote:
It's true. Summer time everyone takes watermelon for snacks, I love it. Obviously you'll still see Bamba here, but granola bars are so expensive whereas cukes and carrots are cheap and readily available and yes, very healthy. Overall there's less of a single serving snack culture here. I go to the States and see my friends and family shop, I look at stores there, and there's so much single serving snack food, most of it high in carbs and sugars and all of it heavily processed.

Wow I didn't even realize. We brought oranges, cucumbers, sandwiches, apples, and water to the zoo. Huh. I guess we've integrated.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 1:26 pm
Teomima wrote:
new version of the food pyramid: the food rainbow

Just in time for Pride Month? 🌈

I'm kidding! Calm down! Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise