Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Fresh broccoli and cauliflower

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:22 am
I see on the star-k site it says the thrip cloth method/checking white basin over light box (after the other steps) for broccoli and cauliflower. Does anyone do this? It seems too easy..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 9:45 am
Now I see that CRC says broccoli is pretty impossible to check, but cauliflower pretty much similar method to star-k?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:01 am
The biggest problem is when you buy organic. Sadly, brassicas attract all kinds of insect pests unless they are heavily sprayed.

I wash and check my own broccoli and cauliflower, by cutting it into bite size pieces and checking each one. I don't go crazy looking for things that are invisible to the naked eye.

If I find 3 aphids, I assume the rest is infested, and return it to the market for a refund. If I find one caterpillar, I just remove it and check the rest super carefully.

If you can find greenhouse veggies, that is your best bet. They're the least likely to be infested, and often have the most nutrients.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:08 am
The method is accurate and it works. Usually the heads are clean and sometimes you'll find an infestation and they need to be thrown out.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
The method is accurate and it works. Usually the heads are clean and sometimes you'll find an infestation and they need to be thrown out.

Yup. It makes me sad that so many think this is too much trouble, it's really not bad.

Of course, not everyone holds the same, but for those who are comfortable with star K, it's really worth the effort to get fresh cruciferous veggies.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 10:17 am
imasinger and ra_mom, is there a way to check fresh cauliflower and broccoli? What about romaine lettuce?

What's stopping me is that I'm not sure I'll find all the bugs or that I won't realize something is a bug... is it very hard to check? And what's the best method?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 5:59 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
imasinger and ra_mom, is there a way to check fresh cauliflower and broccoli? What about romaine lettuce?

What's stopping me is that I'm not sure I'll find all the bugs or that I won't realize something is a bug... is it very hard to check? And what's the best method?

From star-k
1. Wash florets thoroughly under a strong stream of water.
2. Agitate florets in a white bowl.
3. Examine the water to see that it is insect-free.**
4. If it is insect-free you may use the vegetable.
5. If insects are found, you may re-do this procedure up to three times in total. **If there are still any insects, the whole batch of veggies must be discarded.

The last few years they've been recommending adding a thrip cloth and light box, to pour the water through after agitating and removing florets from the water. So if a thrip is left, it will be sitting right there on the cloth over the light. I still use a white bowl, good light and careful checking.

Romaine is the same except add dish soap so the water is slippery when agitating the lettuce. Do you need the star-k link? I keep a color copy of their 1 page PDF that covers all produce in front of my recipe binder.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:25 pm
https://www.star-k.org/article.....thod/

Here’s a video
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics