Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Compensation for extra work

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:50 pm
How does it (or should it) work when coworker is out- either on maternity leave or vacation (1+weeks) and you are givin their workload for the time they are out.

do you get compensated for the extra work (and time) or is it just a given that you need to chip in when needed?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:52 pm
Every work place is totally different

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does it (or should it) work when coworker is out- either on maternity leave or vacation (1+weeks) and you are givin their workload for the time they are out.

do you get compensated for the extra work (and time) or is it just a given that you need to chip in when needed?

Its just a given. And its hard trust me
My workmate was just put for 6 weeks on maternity leave - and I took her over! Than my manager was out for 2 weeks her kid had surgery, and again I took over. I hope when it comes to my asking for vacation time in the summer, she remembers all those weeks I covered for people

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:11 pm
When my coworker was on maternity I was working 60-hour weeks just to keep up You just do what you got to do so I think I was compensated because I get paid over time I guess if you work by the hour and you stay later to finish their work you should definitely be getting overtime

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:22 pm
Most job descriptions include (or should include if the boss is smart) "other duties as assigned". This falls under that.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 1:41 pm
Those weasel clauses like "other duties as assigned" are the killers. I work for a huge organization that's in a hiring freeze. Since my boss retired I've been doing his work (for which I had zero preparation or training) plus my own with no end in sight. I'm not getting a penny extra.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 2:31 pm
So im asking since a workmate of mine left and so far they havent found a replacement for her.
I was asked to step in and basically take over till they find someone.
now her job was time consuming and tedious and she herself often worked overtime to complete her duties.
I have a heavy workload and am extremely busy myself. I do not have the freedom to stay overtime since bh I have children at home.

There is literally no way for me to take on another workload now

But I wasnt exactly given a choice

I just want to know how much of a "bonus" I could ask for, I feel like I should at least get half this employees salary until they find a replacement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics