Home

Would you buy a book of poetry?
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

Would you buy a book of poetry?
Yes  
 26%  [ 23 ]
No  
 73%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 87


tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:12 pm
Would you buy an aesthetically pleasing book, perhaps with some illustrations, maybe coffee table-sized, that contains a compilation of only poems in several styles?
Or would you only appreciate a classically written novel or memoir, fiction or non-fiction?
Do you appreciate a nice poem once, but don’t see yourself rereading it again?
Do you find meaning in words, and clever word combinations, or do you prefer words only that tell a longer story?


Last edited by tigerwife on Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Camellia
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:17 pm
I love poems.
Would buy.
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:24 pm
Yes. Why is there no frum poetry anthology?
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:45 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Yes. Why is there no frum poetry anthology?


I wonder if it’s because very few people appreciate poetry and wouldn’t spend money on a collection?

I love a good poem. Sometimes I get moved to tears by them (well, both from very good poems and awfully bad ones). I’ve bought a collection of Shel Silverstein for my little ones because even though he’s a little creepy, his poems are genius and I want them to appreciate words like that.

Look, I’ve gone all imamothery now and added a poll Smile
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:50 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I wonder if it’s because very few people appreciate poetry and wouldn’t spend money on a collection?

I love a good poem. Sometimes I get moved to tears by them (well, both from very good poems and awfully bad ones). I’ve bought a collection of Shel Silverstein for my little ones because even though he’s a little creepy, his poems are genius and I want them to appreciate words like that.

Look, I’ve gone all imamothery now and added a poll Smile


Shel Silverstein can be hilarious and poignant.

I also really enjoy Billy Collins, though he has a completely different style. Which other poets do you like?
Back to top

agreer




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:53 pm
If it was a collection of the "poems" on the end pages of Jewish magazines - no way.
Those are not poems.
Those are words
Written,
In broken lines
Trying to hard but failing too much.

Worse are the rhyming poems that don't make sense. Blech.

But if it was like the poetry of Lin-Manuel Miranda? Maybe.

(I voted no in the poll because almost no one is like LMM.)
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jun 15 2021, 11:59 pm
agreer wrote:
If it was a collection of the "poems" on the end pages of Jewish magazines - no way.
Those are not poems.
Those are words
Written,
In broken lines
Trying to hard but failing too much.

Worse are the rhyming poems that don't make sense. Blech.

But if it was like the poetry of Lin-Manuel Miranda? Maybe.

(I voted no in the poll because almost no one is like LMM.)


Has he published anything?

That man is a GENIUS.

ETA I agree that words broken into lines is not poetry, and that frum poetry is not always worthy of the name. But art is a matter of taste, and I would obviously only buy a book of poetry that fit my taste. We can debate the definition of poetry for days...
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:19 am
I have two books of poetry on my shelf right now. One is a coffee table edition of Shel Silverstein poems, and one is Memo to Self by Ruth Lewis. I don't know why you say here is no frum poetry-did you ever read Memo to Self?
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:20 am
youngishbear wrote:
Shel Silverstein can be hilarious and poignant.

I also really enjoy Billy Collins, though he has a completely different style. Which other poets do you like?


I love to read poems out loud when they have good rhythm, like “If” by Rudyard Kipling, or some Robert Frost. Names are failing me now. I’m the geek in the back of the high school class who actually read all the Lit books on her own for fun. I love the silly poems by Lewis Carrol, and the quirky but razor sharp Silversteins. I am probably most fascinated by song lyrics actually- I totally agree with agreer ( Wink ) about LMM. Poetry slams are awesome, and calling them rap kind of dulls it for me. If a song has a beautiful tune but awful lyrics, I can’t listen to it. If it’s good, I cry, even if it isn’t sad. So few songs have good lyrics.

I actually never heard of Billy Collins but looked him up- thanks for mentioning him!
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:21 am
Crookshanks wrote:
I have two books of poetry on my shelf right now. One is a coffee table edition of Shel Silverstein poems, and one is Memo to Self by Ruth Lewis. I don't know why you say here is no frum poetry-did you ever read Memo to Self?


No, I’ve never heard of her! Would love to read her book.
Back to top

mochamix18




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:26 am
I already have several, although not coffee table books as described. I own and enjoy anthologies of poems by Ann Sexton, Pablo Neruda, Robert Frost, William Blake abs Edna St, Vincent Millay. Please don’t quiz me, I haven’t memorized any 😂. Was this asking if a specifically frum volume of poems were published would we buy it?
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:28 am
Crookshanks wrote:
I have two books of poetry on my shelf right now. One is a coffee table edition of Shel Silverstein poems, and one is Memo to Self by Ruth Lewis. I don't know why you say here is no frum poetry-did you ever read Memo to Self?


I heard of this book but I haven't been able to get a hold of it. (Edited to clarify that I heard that she had published a book but not what it was called, nor where I could find it.)
Back to top

youngishbear




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:35 am
tigerwife wrote:
I love to read poems out loud when they have good rhythm, like “If” by Rudyard Kipling, or some Robert Frost. Names are failing me now. I’m the geek in the back of the high school class who actually read all the Lit books on her own for fun. I love the silly poems by Lewis Carrol, and the quirky but razor sharp Silversteins. I am probably most fascinated by song lyrics actually- I totally agree with agreer ( Wink ) about LMM. Poetry slams are awesome, and calling them rap kind of dulls it for me. If a song has a beautiful tune but awful lyrics, I can’t listen to it. If it’s good, I cry, even if it isn’t sad. So few songs have good lyrics.

I actually never heard of Billy Collins but looked him up- thanks for mentioning him!


I was the nerd doing the same thing in the other classroom.

I have mixed feelings about lyrics. I could learn to love a tune because of its lyrics, sometimes, but that's rare. Bad lyrics don't necessarily ruin a tune for me.
Back to top

mamma llama




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:52 am
youngishbear wrote:
Shel Silverstein can be hilarious and poignant.


Yes! "Where the Sidewalk Ends" was brilliant! I'm not even sure how many times of reread it at this point...
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:10 am
mochamix18 wrote:
I already have several, although not coffee table books as described. I own and enjoy anthologies of poems by Ann Sexton, Pablo Neruda, Robert Frost, William Blake abs Edna St, Vincent Millay. Please don’t quiz me, I haven’t memorized any 😂. Was this asking if a specifically frum volume of poems were published would we buy it?


Not necessarily Jewish themed or outright frum but I was wondering if it was worth marketing a collection like this to a frum audience at all.
Back to top

amother




Amaranthus
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:20 am
tigerwife wrote:
Not necessarily Jewish themed or outright frum but I was wondering if it was worth marketing a collection like this to a frum audience at all.


It's hard to see this working because people who only buy frum books won't buy good secular poetry, and frum poetry tends to be treacly.
Back to top

Einikel




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:26 am
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
It's hard to see this working because people who only buy frum books won't buy good secular poetry, and frum poetry tends to be treacly.


I learned a new word today!
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:49 am
tigerwife wrote:
Would you buy an aesthetically pleasing book, perhaps with some illustrations, maybe coffee table-sized, that contains a compilation of only poems in several styles?


Good poetry paints it's own pictures in your mind. Illustrations are extraneous, and often irritating since your vision does not necessarily match someone else's.

Beautiful clear presentation of the poem is all that is necessary, and at most a small pen and ink drawing that each person can build on for themselves.
Back to top

mochamix18




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 3:56 am
tigerwife wrote:
Not necessarily Jewish themed or outright frum but I was wondering if it was worth marketing a collection like this to a frum audience at all.

Why?
Back to top

wif




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:09 am
Ok. All of you who love Shel Silverstein: hold the phone.

See, when we were dating, my husband and I had a debate over who was the better poet. I said Shel Silverstein, and he said Ogden Nash, and we debated this for a long time, quoting poems at each other in a sort of epic poetry battle. I stuck to my guns until we got married. I brought Shel Silverstein to our marriage, and he brought Ogden Nash, and we read each other's books and...

He was totally right.

SO go check out Ogden Nash.

You will be so happy.

I am so excited for you!

Oh, and I would definitely buy a frum poetry book. I actually have in the past, but I misplaced it in a move and I'm blanking on the name. It was real poetry, not the sort of poetry so aptly described by agreer, and it was lovely.
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] Is "money can't buy happiness" advice for poor or for rich? 27 Today at 2:03 pm View last post
Lakewood- Please tell me where to buy a dining room set...
by amother
11 Yesterday at 11:39 pm View last post
Boxes to return stuff in - where to buy in Monsey?
by amother
0 Yesterday at 2:01 pm View last post
Cheap place to buy contact lenses in Monsey
by Dini
6 Yesterday at 12:44 pm View last post
Back to Basics book on Judaism 4 Fri, Jan 21 2022, 2:40 pm View last post