Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should we get bunk beds?

Would you get bunk beds for 11 and 9 year old girls?
Yes  
 65%  [ 21 ]
No  
 15%  [ 5 ]
Maybe  
 18%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 32

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 2:47 am
For space saving purposes I'm considering getting bunk beds for my daughters ages 11 and 9. They like the idea, but I'm worried about different things. The top bunk girl forgetting she's in the top and falling down the stairs? Also worried if one is moving around too much at night keeping the other one up. Are these legitimate concerns? Please share your thoughts and experience with bunk beds! Also, until what age do kids usually have bunk beds?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 2:59 am
There is no one fast rule. Kids are in bunk beds until they are not needed anymore.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 3:03 am
I don't think anyone is likely to forget that they are in the top bunk. The whole view of the room is different. Ate brother of them in the habit of jumping blindly out of bed? Even if they sit up and swing their legs over, they would notice very fast that the floor is some distance off.

You need to know your daughters to judge if moving would be an issue, but I would guess that this is something one can adapt to and ignore without too much difficulty.

Some people sleep in bunk beds until they get married.

lk1234

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 3:04 am
At that age no - I would stick to separate beds. Keep in mind they are almost teenagers - I don't think that they will want bunk beds for long.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 3:10 am
Bunk beds worked for my boys but there was no room for 2 regular beds. When my youngest got older he didn't want to sleep on top anymore.
For my girls we kept 2 regular beds and I'm happy we did.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:13 am
I slept on a bunk bed till I got married at 20.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:26 am
They'll get used to it

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:28 am
I have 3 girls in 1 small room in my bungalow. Im putting a bunk bed. They’re not happy about it but too bad. It’s that or one kid sleeps on the couch. 3 teenage girls. If they can sleep like that in camp they’ll manage it at home too.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:29 am
amother [ Firethorn ] wrote:
I have 3 girls in 1 small room in my bungalow. Im putting a bunk bed. They’re not happy about it but too bad. It’s that or one kid sleeps on the couch. 3 teenage girls. If they can sleep like that in camp they’ll manage it at home too.

For a bungalow for a summer is different than every night at home though.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:43 am
My kids dont mind. The older one actually likes her privacy up on top. Get a sturdy wood one in the jewish stores they are not that expensive I paid $800 with mattresses (if you can) it will address all your concerns.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:43 am
If you have the space for 2 beds, even if it will be tight, I'd do 2 beds over a bunk. At that age it starts to get unpleasant to sleep in a bunk. We moved recently and my 2 girls age 11 and 10 got there own beds after being in a bunk bed for most of their lives, and I do find it's been better for them. They are still in the same room, but they have more of their own clearly defined space. My 9yr ds who shares a bunk with his younger brother sometimes complains and I can see he wont be able to sleep in a bunk bed long term, I'm trying to work on it that il have space for him to have his own bed in a couple of yrs
Saying that, dh says he slept in a bunk till he was 15, and hes fine! If you dont have the room, then you dont

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:52 am
Boys in a yeshiva dorm use bunk beds until they get married. We had them in seminary. My son and daughter have had one since my daughter turned 6, when he wanted a bed.

monseymom25

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 4:58 am
I wouldn’t be worried about forgetting and falling off but the noise and moving may take getting used to. A couple other things to keep in mind are that it’s difficult to make the bed and change linen on the top bunk. When a child is sick it’s hard to go up and down and sleep on top and to see her, take temperatures, etc. If the girl on top wants to just sit on her bed talking or reading she has to climb up.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 5:30 am
I got bunk beds for my older two that could be separated into two separate beds. They were great and a wonderful space saver. We separated them when they were 11 and no longer really needed much floor space to play. It's likely I'll get another set of bunk beds in the future for my younger kids.

Ours were solid wood with thick legs. Falling out or the bed shaking was never a concern.

Oldest

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For space saving purposes I'm considering getting bunk beds for my daughters ages 11 and 9. They like the idea, but I'm worried about different things. The top bunk girl forgetting she's in the top and falling down the stairs? Also worried if one is moving around too much at night keeping the other one up. Are these legitimate concerns? Please share your thoughts and experience with bunk beds! Also, until what age do kids usually have bunk beds?

I wouldn't worry about one moving too much as bunk beds are made to be very sturdy and don't move and shake with the child's movement.
You also don't have to worry about her falling down the stairs as all bunk beds come with a guardrail for the top bunk and the space where the ladder is, is too small to accidentally fall down

TIP: get a bunk bed that can separate into two separate beds as your daughters may not want to stay in a bunk bed once they become teens

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:37 am
gootlfriends wrote:
Boys in a yeshiva dorm use bunk beds until they get married. We had them in seminary. My son and daughter have had one since my daughter turned 6, when he wanted a bed.

I actually don't think bunk beds are the norm in yeshiva. Most yeshivas I know (brothers, brothers in law) do not have bunk beds.
OP it's really a type, I slept on the top bunk till I got married (21.) We were 3 girls in a room and I liked the privacy. If you get a sturdy bed with a bit of a railing on the top bunk, it won't shake when the one on the bottom is moving and the one on top won't fall.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:39 am
I slept on a bunk bed basically till I got married. In seminary we also had mostly bunk beds.

Two of my kids are on bunk beds (same age as your kids) and they’ve been on them since they were young. They’re fine on it, never fallen off, and often use it as a climbing frame.

honey36

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:40 am
Pros: great space saver. Even if technically have room for two beds, it's nicer of the room has more floor space for other things (other furniture or just more space).

Cons: harder to change the sheets and make the bed.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:42 am
If it makes your living space more enjoyable, it's definitely worthwhile. It makes a huge difference in some spaces. We have a bunk bed in one of our rooms. And I grew up with bunk beds.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:56 am
Until I got my own room at age 20, I slept on a bunk bed. Loved the top bunk, as it gave me some privacy in the room I shared with 2 sisters. Our bunk bed was really sturdy, barely felt each others movements. I say go for it.
BTW a few years with more room in the house, my parents disconnected the bunks & now my sibs have them as separate beds:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics