Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What area of brooklyn?

flowergirl8

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:23 am
Looking to move to brooklyn.
We are a youngish yeshivish family.
what area would be best?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:32 am
Flatbush definitely has the largest concentration of yeshivish families, but it's not cheap. Are you looking to buy or rent? Marine Park has lots of young families buying, but it's not as yeshivish as areas like Kensington. Do you have family or a yeshiva you're looking to be near?

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:35 am
The Chaim Berlin area is probably your best bet for a yeshivish crowd in Flatbush. Figure thats the area roughly between K and Ave N and E 7 to E 19. Housing its pretty expensive there though. Nothing is cheap in Brooklyn but a similiar crowd to the Chaim Berlin area has started moving to the thirties in the past few years. Housing is a littel cheaper there. I am not exactly sure how deep that area goes but somewhere around Ave J to M and begins E 31 and ends where Flatbush Ave cuts in.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:35 am
Kensington has lots of yeshivish and nice ppl but not very young

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:42 am
I'm curious to hear what other people say. I know so many people moving out of brooklyn but it's rare to hear of someone moving in. Maybe Marine Park or Flatbush?

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:25 am
If you are looking for somewhere very Yeshivish move to Bensonhurst.

If I were young and moving to Brooklyn I would probably either move to Kensington or near the (Lakewood alumni) Flatbush kollel

https://flatbushkollel.org/

Kensington because of it's proximity to both Boro Park and Flatbush

Near the Flatbush Kollel because I think a community Kollel would be more welcoming than most other places. It is also located in a physically nicer neighborhood than most of Brooklyn

naomi2

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:26 am
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
The Chaim Berlin area is probably your best bet for a yeshivish crowd in Flatbush. Figure thats the area roughly between K and Ave N and E 7 to E 19. Housing its pretty expensive there though. Nothing is cheap in Brooklyn but a similiar crowd to the Chaim Berlin area has started moving to the thirties in the past few years. Housing is a littel cheaper there. I am not exactly sure how deep that area goes but somewhere around Ave J to M and begins E 31 and ends where Flatbush Ave cuts in.

This

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:29 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
If you are looking for somewhere very Yeshivish move to Bensonhurst.

If I were young and moving to Brooklyn I would probably either move to Kensington or near the (Lakewood alumni) Flatbush kollel

https://flatbushkollel.org/

Kensington because of it's proximity to both Boro Park and Flatbush

Near the Flatbush Kollel because I think a community Kollel would be more welcoming than most other places. It is also located in a physically nicer neighborhood than most of Brooklyn

I live in kensington and the people are really nice but mostly older. The young couples are moving away.
If you’re ok with that then for sure come! Everyone’s very friendly regardless of age and there are a lot of big families and children

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:19 am
My parents live in the chaim Berlin neighborhood and housing is extremely expensive there. It is also slowly starting to turn more sefardi as most young chaim Berlin couples can not afford to buy in the area and are moving away.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:57 am
From what I hear the young Chaim Berlin families are moving out into the thirties. Like 31 - 36, from N - J. Houses there are cheaper than the teens, though still outrageous. Think 800K for a tiny old three BR house. But there aren’t so many young families who buy in Brooklyn altogether.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I live in kensington and the people are really nice but mostly older. The young couples are moving away.
If you’re ok with that then for sure come! Everyone’s very friendly regardless of age and there are a lot of big families and children

So interesting.
I was going to ask of your opinion is based on the fact that you live in Kensington...
I live in Kensington and I'm not yeshivish, but I feel like there are lots of young yeshivish families around. At the playground, on the street, etc

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
So interesting.
I was going to ask of your opinion is based on the fact that you live in Kensington...
I live in Kensington and I'm not yeshivish, but I feel like there are lots of young yeshivish families around. At the playground, on the street, etc

I found Kensington to be not so friendly if you don’t look exactly like everyone there... in Marine Pk now but it’s a mix with mostly more modern.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:23 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
I found Kensington to be not so friendly if you don’t look exactly like everyone there... in Marine Pk now but it’s a mix with mostly more modern.

I found Brooklyn in general to not be too friendly to new people - so many people have known each other their whole lives that it's hard for a new family to find a place, so to speak. I lived first in Kensington and then further down in Flatbush with my husband when we were first married ~ 5 years ago, and didn't make any real friends to speak of.

HOpefully OP already knows some people or is more outgoing than me Smile

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:49 pm

I get you!
But I was basing this on op being yeshivish
😍

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
So interesting.

Wow
I’m basing it on my block- but you’re right- there are many more blocks I’m not seeing!

As far as friendly- that depends on the block too. My block is very very friendly - though I’m not yeshivish so I can’t quite say I feel like I fit in- but everyone’s really nice

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 6:58 pm

Again, so interesting.
I'm not yeshivish, and I've found the people in the playground and on the street to be friendly.

Maybe I'm not looking for friends specifically, so it doesn't get that far, but I definitely gets stopped for random talks with the kids etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating