Home

Plead guilty or not guilty? (Q about speeding, not camera)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:33 am
I got pulled over by a hidden cop, was traveling at speed of the rest of traffic, at least that's how it felt to me. Cop said I drove at 53 in a 30 zone. It must've been a speed zone change (probably why they hide out there), traveling between Manhattan and Brooklyn, southbound FDR drive Old Slip.

This is the first time in my entire life that I've been pulled over for speed violation.

So I'm wondering what are my options. Plead guilty? Any other options?

Thanks!
Back to top

gefilte




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 1:48 pm
Plead "not guilty" and request a hearing for 12-16 months away..
(you will be unavailable during that time)
A few possibilities can occur..
A) the officer may move up/out etc. and be unable to testify against you.
ticket is then dismissed.
B) check the physical ticket for errors..spelling/car info/date etc.
any mistakes the ticket is dismissed.
C) request from Albany documentation supporting any equipment used to
measure your speed ...validating your violation.
Good Luck....anything can happen...
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:43 pm
Thank you gefilte!
I requested a hearing and got a date in a year from today.
I didn't know this is how it works, so thank you for helping me out.
They told me it's 6 points. That sounds like a lot.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:45 pm
gefilte wrote:

A) the officer may move up/out etc. and be unable to testify against you.
ticket is then dismissed.


Seriously? What's the likelihood of this happening?
has this happened to you?
It almost sounds like too good to be true :-)
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you gefilte!
I requested a hearing and got a date in a year from today.
I didn't know this is how it works, so thank you for helping me out.
They told me it's 6 points. That sounds like a lot.

That's a lot of points. You should hire a lawyer. Not for the fine. For the points. Getting that many points deducted is really bad. (Because if you get one more such violation, they suspend your license entirely.)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/n...../amp/
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
That's a lot of points. You should hire a lawyer. Not for the fine. For the points. Getting that many points deducted is really bad. (Because if you get one more such violation, they suspend your license entirely.)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/n...../amp/

Wow! Thank you!
Should I get a lawyer now?
Or closer to the hearing date in a year from now?
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:13 pm
Get a lawyer now. They will continue to push your court date off for you as long as they possibly can. Points usually stay on your ticket for a certain period of time but it starts retroactively from when the occurrence happened. Often times the lawyer is able to push the court date off so long that even if you are found "guilty", the time period will have already passed. The cost of the lawyer is usually comparable to the ticket, but it's worth it to not have the points and the insurance company will not raise your rates if the points never go into effect on your license.
Back to top

HonesttoGod




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:16 pm
Like others said plead not guilty, usually they’ll dismiss the points and you just have to pay a fine.

And also yes there is a speed trap there. I know a few people who got pulled there within 10 seconds of the speed change. It’s why they hide there.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:16 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
the insurance company will not raise your rates if the points never go into effect on your license.

Thank you! What does this mean? When do the points go into effect? Before the hearing? or after the hearing?
I have other points on my license, from 2019, for failing to obey markings. Those two violations are still pending, so far they've been postponed twice (once on their own motion, when covid started)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:17 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

And also yes there is a speed trap there. I know a few people who got pulled there within 10 seconds of the speed change. It’s why they hide there.

Thank you, this makes me feel better.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! What does this mean? When do the points go into effect? Before the hearing? or after the hearing?
I have other points on my license, from 2019, for failing to obey markings. Those two violations are still pending, so far they've been postponed twice (once on their own motion, when covid started)

If you plead guilty, or if the judge finds you guilty, the points will be deducted from your license.
Get the lawyer now. They usually do the pleading/push the hearing off for you.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you plead guilty, or if the judge finds you guilty, the points will be deducted from your license.
Get the lawyer now. They usually do the pleading/push the hearing off for you.

Based on responses above I already called and pleaded not guilty and was granted a hearing in a year from now.
Are you saying the points will be deducted before the hearing in June 2022?
Back to top

amother




Gladiolus
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:27 pm
If they take off points the fine can be huge. But still worth it in scheme of things.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Based on responses above I already called and pleaded not guilty and was granted a hearing in a year from now.
Are you saying the points will be deducted before the hearing in June 2022?

It's good that you pleaded not guilty but you should have a lawyer take over the case now not in a year.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's good that you pleaded not guilty but you should have a lawyer take over the case now not in a year.


Especially since you have other pending points violations
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:13 pm
There are hundreds of lawyers. How do I choose?
Any recommendations?
Back to top

mushkale




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously? What's the likelihood of this happening?
has this happened to you?
It almost sounds like too good to be true :-)


More likely that he won't show up or it happened so long ago that he can't even remember what happened.

I have a ticket from 2018 that still hasn't had a hearing. In NYC this can drag out forever...
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Can't fast, feeling guilty! 30 Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:08 pm View last post
I was given a psak, but I feel guilty.
by amother
10 Sun, Jul 18 2021, 3:11 pm View last post
Digital Camera - Canon
by amother
0 Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:28 pm View last post
WWYD camera for nine year old
by amother
23 Sun, Jul 04 2021, 3:09 am View last post
Security Camera - Tell Housekeeper? 5 Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:05 pm View last post