Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Camp 101, please help
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:41 pm
I'm from out of town, first generation American, and have no idea what sleep away camp is about. Literally no idea. My oldest is in highschool and for the first time is going away. Tashbar if it makes a difference. I literally don't know anything about anything. I looked at some past threads here but I'm really only getting bits and pieces and don't quite know what I should be shopping for. I have some specific questions but please fill in gaps for me too...

1. What do boys wear? During the school year it's white button downs and dress pants, summers have always been shirt sleeve button downs/polos and cargo type dark pants. What's with camp? Polos, tshirts, sweatpants,...?

2. I have to lable his clothes, I assume. What's the best way?

3. Money? Snacks? How much?

4. Best luggage to use? Duffle bags?

5. What am I overlooking?

The camp has lists I'm sure I'll be receiving. But please share your experience.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:49 pm
The boys generally wear adidas tiros pants with t-shirts.

Boys Camp List
-stick on name labels, permanent marker send along
-29” suitcase on wheels, duffel bag on wheels for bedding, backpack for trips, Sterilite drawer set or foldable baskets for shelves
-2 full sets linen, 1 blanket, 1-2 pillows
-mini negel vasser set
-3 large towels, 2 hand towels for near bed
-swim robe
-2-3 bathing suits
-1-2 swim tees
-goggles and swim gear
-2 pairs sneakers, 1 shabbos shoes, 1 Adidas slides (for swimming & showers), 1 Natives or rain shoes
-4 sets shabbos clothes
-tefillin / hat / jacket
-tzitzis & yarmulkes
-hangers & pants hangers
-14 pairs socks
-14 boxers
-14 undershirts
-14 t-shirts
-12 pants (combination of long, short & lounge)
-1 set junk clothes
-2 sweatshirts (1 heavier weight)
-6-8 pjs
-packable rain poncho, mini fold travel umbrella
-net bag for socks, dirty laundry bag, pretreating laundry stick
-foldable shower caddy supply holder
-clip on fan (if they don't have A/C), flashlight
Camera, MP3 player & earphones (find out if MP3 ok if it doesn’t have internet capability)
-batteries for flashlight and camera
-siddur (with tehillim & shabbos davening)
-book, activity book, game (for quiet rest time)
-sport gear, glow sticks, slime ingredients (whatever is cool for boys)
-folding beach chair with carry strap
-2 baseball caps, sunglasses
-pre-stamped post cards/paper/pen/stamps/envelopes
-tissues for near bed, hand soap for sink, air freshener for bathroom, wipes if needed
-deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, 2 poofs, 2 toothbrushes, 1 toothpaste
-sunscreen, bug repellent
-brush, comb, nail clipper, pins for kippa

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 6:51 pm
Check out betweencarpools.com
There is a nice packing list with links

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The boys generally wear adidas tiros pants with t-shirts.

Boys Camp List
-stick on name labels, permanent marker send along
-29” suitcase on wheels, duffel bag on wheels for bedding, backpack for trips, Sterilite drawer set or foldable baskets for shelves
-2 full sets linen, 1 blanket, 1-2 pillows
-mini negel vasser set
-3 large towels, 2 hand towels for near bed
-swim robe
-2-3 bathing suits
-1-2 swim tees
-goggles and swim gear
-2 pairs sneakers, 1 shabbos shoes, 1 Adidas slides (for swimming & showers), 1 Natives or rain shoes
-4 sets shabbos clothes
-tefillin / hat / jacket
-tzitzis & yarmulkes
-hangers & pants hangers
-14 pairs socks
-14 boxers
-14 undershirts
-14 t-shirts
-12 pants (combination of long, short & lounge)
-1 set junk clothes
-2 sweatshirts (1 heavier weight)
-6-8 pjs
-packable rain poncho, mini fold travel umbrella
-net bag for socks, dirty laundry bag, pretreating laundry stick
-foldable shower caddy supply holder
-clip on fan (if they don't have A/C), flashlight
Camera, MP3 player & earphones (find out if MP3 ok if it doesn’t have internet capability)
-batteries for flashlight and camera
-siddur (with tehillim & shabbos davening)
-book, activity book, game (for quiet rest time)
-sport gear, glow sticks, slime ingredients (whatever is cool for boys)
-folding beach chair with carry strap
-2 baseball caps, sunglasses
-pre-stamped post cards/paper/pen/stamps/envelopes
-tissues for near bed, hand soap for sink, air freshener for bathroom, wipes if needed
-deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, 2 poofs, 2 toothbrushes, 1 toothpaste
-sunscreen, bug repellent
-brush, comb, nail clipper, pins for kippa

Thanks so much for this post! A few follow ups:

1. My sons haven't wore tshirts... probably ever. They've always had to wear, at minimum, collared polos, and for the past few years, colored button downs (when not in white shirts). I can't imagine my kid in Adidas pants and a t-shirt...is that really the standard across the board? He also hasn't been allowed to wear shorts since 3rd grade. Now he needs tshirts and shorts?

2. What size linen? Twin size?

3. You wrote natives or rain shoes ... Aren't natives Croc type shoes? And what are rain shoes?

4. Shabbos clothes is a white shirt and a suit...he needs Four suits?!

Thank you so much taking time to type it all out!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much for this post! A few follow ups:

1. My sons haven't wore tshirts... probably ever. They've always had to wear, at minimum, collared polos, and for the past few years, colored button downs (when not in white shirts). I can't imagine my kid in Adidas pants and a t-shirt...is that really the standard across the board? He also hasn't been allowed to wear shorts since 3rd grade. Now he needs tshirts and shorts?

2. What size linen? Twin size?

3. You wrote natives or rain shoes ... Aren't natives Croc type shoes? And what are rain shoes?

4. Shabbos clothes is a white shirt and a suit...he needs Four suits?!

Thank you so much taking time to type it all out!!

1. Ok, I don't know anything about the camp you mentioned. Find out specifics about pants and tees. If your boys have always worn polos, chances are that the
camp they're going to will also have that as the tee of choice.

2. Twin size linen (even through the beds are slightly narrower than twin size, which is why I send mattress clips so that the fitted sheets don't shift).

3. Crocs work fine. I just meant a pair of footwear that can handle mud and rain.

4. If he's in suits/bar mitzvah, then 2 suits should suffice for 4 weeks. If he's younger and needs his clothes washed after every wear, then he should have at least 3 shabbos options and they don't all have to be suits.

*Keep in mind that you need a plan for shabbos clothes since the laundry service throws everything into the dryer. Older boys in camp generally have access to machines that they can use with quarters/learn how to spot clean a suit with a damp washcloth. Do find out how laundry works in this specific camp/for this age.

chanar

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:44 pm
If he’s in high school, He’l probably know what clothing he wants to be in and what his friends will be wearing.. ask him what he wants to wear!
The list that was posted here is great!

chanar

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:49 pm
Regarding your other questions, I get the biggest duffles on wheels that amazing savings has.
He’l need money for canteen and spending money for trips etc.
keep in mind you’l need to tip his counselors, waiters, lifeguards, rebbeim etc
You may want to get him an eggcrate mattress cover, the camp mattresses are sometimes thin and uncomfortable.
Send more then one laundry bag, and a sock bag.
Send plenty socks, they tend to disappear!
Don’t worry too much, He’l call you when he needs something and you can Amazon it over to him!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:19 pm
chanar wrote:
If he’s in high school, He’l probably know what clothing he wants to be in and what his friends will be wearing.. ask him what he wants to wear!
The list that was posted here is great!

I wish! He's a boy...he's clueless about clothes...and he's been in basic "uniform" for years...white shirt,dark pants, suits on shabbos...for over a decade...lol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:23 pm
chanar wrote:
Regarding your other questions, I get the biggest duffles on wheels that amazing savings has.
He’l need money for canteen and spending money for trips etc.
keep in mind you’l need to tip his counselors, waiters, lifeguards, rebbeim etc
You may want to get him an eggcrate mattress cover, the camp mattresses are sometimes thin and uncomfortable.
Send more then one laundry bag, and a sock bag.
Send plenty socks, they tend to disappear!
Don’t worry too much, He’l call you when he needs something and you can Amazon it over to him!

Omg, I can amazon stuff to him?!?! What a relief. I didn't think of that. Phewww.

A sock bag is a smaller laundry bag?

How much are tips usually (minimum amounts, I can barely scrape it together and dh doesn't get it so I have to push for it)

chanar

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 9:47 pm
The camp will let you know the suggested tips during the summer, I don’t remember what it was in the past, different for each position. Rebbi gets the most.
Do you have any friends with boys who go to that camp who would be familiar with the dress code?
I don’t think the kids at tashbar camp will be in white shirts and dark pants in the weekday. Likelihood is they’re wearing tiros and sports T-shirts. If you don’t know anyone else who’s sending maybe reach out to the camp director to get a better feel of what’s standard and accepted?
Sock bag is a smaller laundry bag. Just easier when they’re doing laundry to have the socks separated..

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish! He's a boy...he's clueless about clothes...and he's been in basic "uniform" for years...white shirt,dark pants, suits on shabbos...for over a decade...lol

Tashbar is more yeshivish and they don’t allow shorts but I’m pretty sure all the kids are in adidas pants and tee shirts. What school do they do to?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:04 pm
Typical outfit for that age boy:

(And this is pretty conservative. No big words or logos)
https://I.imgur.com/qlmW18H.jpg

https://I.imgur.com/LbBt8Lq.jpg

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:08 pm
Labelland.com has the best labels ever.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:11 pm
Mesh bags to wash socks in, so they don't get lost and mixed up with other boys' socks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....185b8

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 10:17 pm
My son is going to Tashbar (second half) and if I remember correctly, they do NOT allow packages. Except for emergencies with prior approval. So don’t count on that.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:36 pm
In Tashbar:

The boys will wear the usual yeshivish white shirt/black pants/sports jacket/hat when they get up for davening and learning then they change into t shirt or polo shirt and if want can change into whatever pants they like (no shorts). For Mincha they change into white shirt/jacket/hat again then can change back (or can just put those over the t shirt they are wearing), then Maariv...you get the idea. Of course change again for swimming...

Lots of changing all day.

Great, warm, wholesome camp.

If he has friend going he should ask them about any “must bring” items so he should feel good about it. For example: a personal outdoor folding chair, “kosher” mp3 player (that ONLY plays music-jewish of course), personal sports equipment, musical instrument if he plays etc

Hope he has a wonderful time!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 11:57 pm
Following. Any affordable t shirt suggestions? I just can't see spending that amount x 12 for a shirt he will wear for 3 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:14 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
In Tashbar:

The boys will wear the usual yeshivish white shirt/black pants/sports jacket/hat when they get up for davening and learning then they change into t shirt or polo shirt and if want can change into whatever pants they like (no shorts). For Mincha they change into white shirt/jacket/hat again then can change back (or can just put those over the t shirt they are wearing), then Maariv...you get the idea. Of course change again for swimming...

Lots of changing all day.

Great, warm, wholesome camp.

If he has friend going he should ask them about any “must bring” items so he should feel good about it. For example: a personal outdoor folding chair, “kosher” mp3 player (that ONLY plays music-jewish of course), personal sports equipment, musical instrument if he plays etc

Hope he has a wonderful time!

Thanks for the tashbar info!

I spoke to my son, and he's as uncertain as me. He says he wants short sleeved button downs, but I'm scared that if everyone is in tshirts and sport pants (like the adidas one posted above) he'll stick out like a sore thumb. OTOH the adidas stuff is so removed from how we typically dress that it feels strange for me to purchase it. But what do I know, this isn't my culture...

So I'm packing regular white shirts for davening and learning. But those are typically either dry-cleaned, or in a pinch, ironed. They're technically "no iron" so they're not terrible out of the dryer. Is there a dryclean option for laundry? (Sorry if that's the dumbest question, I literally have no idea what's what)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My son is going to Tashbar (second half) and if I remember correctly, they do NOT allow packages. Except for emergencies with prior approval. So don’t count on that.

Thanks for letting me know! Can you weigh in on what he's supposed to wear? He's cringing at the thought of tshirts and sport pants but if that's normal, that's what we're getting....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 12:16 am
ra_mom wrote:
Mesh bags to wash socks in, so they don't get lost and mixed up with other boys' socks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....f646a

Ordered, thanks!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics