Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Los angeles
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 8:55 am
what's children's health plus? when we lived in la we didn't yet have kids. here we're paying $1400 a month for health insurance for a family of 4. (our RENT is only $1250--- HEALTH INSURANCE is more expensive than rent!). How on earth can you get away with $15 a month per kid anywhere in the USA? Is it a ridiculous deductible?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 10:17 am
TwinsMommy wrote:
what's children's health plus? when we lived in la we didn't yet have kids. here we're paying $1400 a month for health insurance for a family of 4. (our RENT is only $1250--- HEALTH INSURANCE is more expensive than rent!). How on earth can you get away with $15 a month per kid anywhere in the USA? Is it a ridiculous deductible?

It is a part of Medi-cal (like Medicaid) which is Govt funded and you have to be eligible incomewise. Most Drs. dont accept it.

We have reg. insurance and are paying about 300 a month, but with a crazy high deductible- $5000!

ganizzy

Post Tue, Jul 29 2008, 3:26 pm
I have a very good pediatrician that accepts it. its $5 copay for visits and medicine. you have to be income eligible and im not sure the limits. it allows a bit more money than medical.

yogajew

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 9:31 pm
thanks for the info Twinsmommy. Yeah, I didn't figure that we would get much of a deal in Pico Robertson, but it's a little cheaper than SF (rent prices have skyrocketed in the Jewish areas in SF--Richmond/sunset, which actually used to be a lot more affordable.) Also your description of the community as being large (having to walk 1.5-2 miles to eat by a friend on Shabbos) surprisingly sounds nice, especially since they have an eruv. I actually have to bribe people to come over for dinner on Shabbos, so having a large community seems like a real blessing. And good exercise. Thanks again.

bonitag1

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 12:45 am
The Valley has cheaper rents, home prices than Pico. There is a frum community in North Hollywood/Valley Village. It's not as big as Pico but there are shuls, minyanim, schools, bakeries, supermarkets, restaurants, and an eruv. The main shul is Shaarey Zedek (valleyshul.com) PM me if you'd like to come for a shabbos visit or speak to someone about the community.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 5:14 pm
My DH just got a great job offer in LA but I'm very hesitant since I know not one person there and I'm pg and will be on my own I also heard there's no bus service for the kids in school and that school in general is very expensive.

Anyone living there can give me a little insight on the community and which schools there are for girls and boys.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:14 pm
Beverly/La Brea Area:
Toras Emes - Frumy elementary school in Beverly La Brea area. Separate campuses for boys and girls. Boys attend on Sunday mornings. Most of the "yeshivisher" rabbis send their kids there. They give scholarships and have one of the "cheaper" tuitions. little emphasis on secular studies, if any...

Yavneh - known for extremely strong academics in both limudei kodesh and secular studies. Very expensive and hard to get into. Lots of rich families attend there.

Bais Yaacov - HS only I think... not sure if they have 6-8

Bais Tzivia - chasidish I think? definately frummer than Bais Yaacov (girl's school)

Yeshiva Gedola (for boys)

The Cheder - exactly what it sounds like (for boys obviously)

Cheder Menachem - Lubavitch school for boys

Maimonodies - Sephardic/MO - best secular studies IMHO

Pico Robertson:
Hillel Hebrew Academy - MO

Bais Rebbe/Bais Chaya Mushka (Chabad girl's school)

Some Sephardi/Persian schools

Ohr Eliyahu - I think it's up and coming (great academics apparently)

The Valley:
Emek - started out as a MO day school but has a lot frummer kids now.
Valley Torah - Boys and girls schools (High school)

If you live in Beverly/LaBrea the schools are walking distance

If you live in the valley there are car pools to the respective city schools

What else do you want to know?? I don't have any kids, but I worked at a few of the schools above, these are just my generalizations. I invite others to fill in more info!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:39 pm
So what about moving there how do u meet people get out I will I'h have a newborn when we go DH will be working alot, and will have 3 kids to deal with I am very nervous since I am settled where I am now have lots of friends and am walking distance to shopping parks and even my dd's school.

Help, DH really wants to make this move!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:40 pm
What type is Ohr Eliyahu MO Yeshivishe?

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:43 pm
http://www.yayoe.org/

That's their website. I honestly don't know exactly where it stands.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:44 pm
I LOVE LA. But you have to make sure live in the right community? Where do you stand religiousity wise?

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:47 pm
traffic is pretty bad in LA. What area is your DH's job in?
It's hard to get by without driving in LA, but it's managable. LaBrea/Beverly (Hancock park, westhollywood) and Pico/Robertson/Beverlywood have kosher grocery stores, restaurants, shuls, etc. all within walking distance. If your DH drives he could probably drop off DD at school and you could probably find a carpool or hire a college girl to take her home (if the school isn't walking distance)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:50 pm
Thanks so much for your prompt reply.....

I just can't figure out still waht type of kids looks like in between MO and Yeshivishe right?

One more thing how is LA schools in general when a kid is not exactly perfect and has some behavior issues like ADD and ADHD or others is there help do they try and push you off to another school where I am now NY there is alot of help and many schools.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:52 pm
DH comes from chassidishe normal backround and I'm just frum but wear denim skirts and pretied bandannas if that gives you an idea do u live in Hancock park?

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:55 pm
I taught in a few schools. Some of them have very good classroom aides and one on one help for that kind of problem. It's true that some kids don't get accepted if they have major problems. There are also schools that fully integrate students, even children with down syndrome (They have a personal aide they hire sitting in on every class)

It honestly depends on a child to child basis. If it's just a minor ADD problem I doubt they would try to push you off to a different school. I taught at a special school called Peretz Etz Jacob Hebrew Academy which takes kids with MAJOR learning disabilities and behavioral issues. All the kids were put into small classes of 7-12 students together and their philosophy is to give every child a Jewish education.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:59 pm
You guys would totally fit into the Hancock Park/La Brea/Beverly area and maybe even Pico Robertson.

Pico Robertson is predominately Persian, MO Ashkenaz and Israeli but also has a large Chabad community. The Yeshivish commnity in Pico Robertson is also expanding with new kollels and shuls.

Hancock Park has lots of shteibels, regular Orthodox large shuls, mostly Black hats on Shabbos sort of place, with a few exceptions. There is a Chasidish influence there that isn't found in Pico Robertson. The women dress predominately B-Y type, but LA is so laid back and open that there is definately a strong denim and tichel stronghold. It is such a beautiful area and the houses are SO beautiful in LA.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 8:02 pm
So it's not major issues since my son goes to regular camp and school but he does get fidgety since most of the time he's ahead or if the teacher is boring he really doesn't do well with that. Adding to that he has an extreme amount of energy that can be used to learn or if the school is not good to be naughty.

The past 2 years have been great and right now in day camp the past 2 weeks he's gotten learning awards so even though there is an issue it can be dealt with by people who know what they are doing or want to help.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 8:04 pm
So the being worried that I wouldn't fit in is not likely to happen and making friends......

waterbottle

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 8:06 pm
People will love you! There are so many NY transplants also. I think moving to a new city is such an amazing experience! You get to become more independent and grow together with your family in a new place. You get to see new lanscape and go on new adventures. Also, the weather in LA is SO GOOD! The coldest it gets is around low of 40 in the winter, and even that is rare. Average high throughout the winter is between 58-65 or something. It's fabulous!

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 3:22 am
What are the best neighborhoods for Chabadniks in LA? I know someone said there is Chabad in the Pico area. Are there any nearby cheaper areas or cities that have a Chabad community? Just wondering... Also, please let me know the official neighborhood names I should look up if I want to check out real estate online. I can't afford a million dollar home!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating