Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
7mo crying voice sounds angry

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 7:14 pm
A few weeks ago my 7mo's cry started sounding different. I don't know how to describe but it's more angry/harsh sounding, like it's coming from her belly but also being compressed in her throat. It's a sound a baby would make when escalating but she starts out crying like that, even for minor stuff, like if I move out of her range of vision (and might stop and laugh immediately when she sees me again).

She even does this when whining but if I do it back she'll start laughing, almost like she was just playing around with sounds. Like today she was tired and I was changing her nappy and she started whining, I did it back to make her laugh, and then we had a "sound-off" with us making noises and her laughing, but once I stopped she went back into whining and then to crying. (She really needed a nap that time.)

I'm wondering why she's doing this strange alarming cry instead of normal crying. It sounds like it takes more effort.

Overall she's crying less than she used to. It's just the sound I'm wondering about.

A week or two so after this started she cut her first two teeth, but it's been more than a week and a half since they came through. Also I'd think if it was pain she wouldn't stop crying immediately when she saw me and she's crying less than she used to overall.

She's practicing "talking" more than before, mostly vocalizations with some syllables but doesn't say mama or dada yet. Is this change part of a normal phase?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:21 pm
Bump.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jun 16 2021, 8:28 pm
Hi! Speech therapist here.
Your baby until about 8 months of age will begin to have what is called 'reduplicated babbling.' So combing consonants (p, t, k,b,d,g) and a vowel; so pa, and ba.

Your baby may also be experimenting with her mouth, squealling, making clicks and raspberries.

All normal stages of vocal development Smile

As for the crying, I am not too sure. Perhaps an experience mother can weigh in?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics