Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Monsey - ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:36 am
We will be moving to Monsey in two months and really need lots of advice. We are moving from out of town and because of special circumstances, we cannot plan the move as well as we want to.

We hope to move to New Hempstead, but we need to find a house available for rent there. If not, we would consider another area.

This is really a blind move. I don't know anybody there. We need info about homes for rent, schools for our children (daughter in elemetary, son and daughter in preschool) and what is the tuition like, pediatrician, OB/GYN, GP, insurance agents (for health and auto), and anything else you can think of that we would need to know for our move.

TIA

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:49 am
were looking at houses in new hempstead but to buy. does it help you at all to know that for 3 or 4 bedrooms homes in that area tend to run between 4 and 600 thousand? maybe from there you can infer rental prices?

insurance cant help you, our "big" move is just from bklyn, so were not changing auto, and health is thru dh's job and its called (I think?) empire 360? its the PPO his firm offers. if that helps at all.

OB-keeping same one from bklyn. Pediatrician-planning on s/o from Teaneck actually who is a family friend. But thats not in monsey proper so dunno if ud be interested. GP-we dont really have, we just call whoever when we have issues.

schools I dunno, our kids arent school age yet, im only looking for f/t babysitter/housekeeper + playgroup for a few hours a day, so im in a different camp. not to hijack or anything, but does anyone know if I can find a FRUM full time babysitter who would be willing to come to my home and do some light housework (folding, cleaning bottles, thats it). thats my setup in bklyn. is that feasable in monsey?

hopefully by me posting this, it will "bump" your thread up, and more people will see, sorry I cant be of more help, but im just as clueless!

slimnglam

Post Tue, Mar 25 2008, 1:31 pm
feel free to pm me, I live in monsey-you aske so many questions OP and I have no idea what type u are regarding schools...
I'd love to help u out

MMEC123

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 6:58 am
You can PM me too if you have questions or want phone numbers for any of these doctors and about schools- too many to list without knowing what you're looking for.

(Based on who me, friends & relatives use)
OB/GYN- Tallman OBGYN or Dr. Laurie Solomon
Pediatricians- Dr. Martin Gewirtz or Dr. Binyomin Friedman
GP- Dr. Yaacov Tendler or Dr. Werzberger

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:46 pm
we used dr. gorelick's office (pediatrician) in monsey. we always saw dr. sadler. she's very good.

also, can you get hold of a "community connections"? call them 845-371-2222 and ask them to mail you a copy if they can.

many of the resources (classifieds for houses for sale/rent, etc) are in there.

also, amother who wants a babysitter, I might know someone who would do it or would know someone who would do it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:54 pm
Squash wrote:

also, amother who wants a babysitter, I might know someone who would do it or would know someone who would do it.

first of all thanks for the community connectins thing also! I just called htem and asked that they mail me one!

is there any way you can email the name of the sitter or how to get ahold of her to to me? I can post an email address if you want- I just dont want ppl on this site to know who I am, there are people who know me on here, and were not really discussing when were moving, how much were spending, etc, with others, and being that I posted stuff like that online...well....

also, this babysitter is frum right? thats rly important to us. it would be for a 3 or 4 month old, and it would really really be full time (meaning, not like a 10-2 teaching job, more like a 730-5 job plus my commute, in manhattan, 4.5 days a week). is that something shed be interested in? I dont even know where to look....im thinking luach.com, I dont know. do people in monsey use that frequenly?

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 1:31 pm
I could email it to you but give me a chance to speak with her first. probably tonight iyH.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 2:28 pm
OP here again.

I am also looking for camps for the month of August. Do high school girls do backyard camps there, or how does it work??

Thank you.

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:11 pm
you would also find that, as it gets closer to the summer, in the community connections.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:

OB-keeping same one from bklyn. Pediatrician-planning on s/o from Teaneck actually who is a family friend.

Is the Ped in Teaneck? That will get really annoying really fast.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2008, 10:53 pm
we are also planning a move to monsey in the summer. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of YSV and Darchei Noam. We are looking into both for my three year old son. Thanks.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 7:19 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

OB-keeping same one from bklyn. Pediatrician-planning on s/o from Teaneck actually who is a family friend.

why would it be more annoying than going to the same OB (which is an hour away, pediatrician = 20-25 min away. when I was in brooklyn, it took 15 min to get to the pediatricians office, plus at LEAST 5 or 10 min to find parking, so what is the diff? is teaneck farther out than I thought or something?

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 8:01 am
Dr. Sarah Eisenberg peds and GP - frum and really really great, esp. if you'll be in New H - she's in the Wesley Hills shopping area

A Second vote for Dr.'s Laurie Solomon and Dr. Wurtzberger.

Schools, you really have to talk to people who know you (or give a bit more info on your hashkafas, etc...)

There is a great preschool (Montessori style) in Monsey, if you are interested please let me know. She takes 3-5 year olds and has 2 classes.

Yes, there are many backyard day camps. Best thing to do is ask around.

Community Connctins is invaluable!

I moved out of Monsey almost a yeasr ago but still have all our 'pertinent' info. As for insurance - depending where you are moving from you may be able to keep what you alrady have, also jobs? may provide.

Hatzlacha Rabba.

Also, plesae pm me, I have 2 friends who take new people around and hsow them the shopping places, parks, etc... and help you get oriented!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

why would it be more annoying than going to the same OB (which is an hour away, pediatrician = 20-25 min away. when I was in brooklyn, it took 15 min to get to the pediatricians office, plus at LEAST 5 or 10 min to find parking, so what is the diff? is teaneck farther out than I thought or something?

Depending on where the dr is it will probably take you 30-35 minutes, with normal traffic, between the hours of 9-3. Unless you don't take your kids to the dr when they are sick, but if they are, and you have to run to the ped. once a week because you have five kids and you are working and your husband is working, and your child doesn't want to be cooped up in the car every time he has to go the dr because he's sick and wants to be home...

Also, you driving within Brooklyn takes a while but you aren't going very far. Driving from Monsey to Teaneck feels like a real trip and it does tire you out more.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 10:04 am
OP here.
I made an appt with Dr Laurie Solomon already, so at least that is taken care of.

I called community connections and they are mailing out a copy to me, but the lady there said the camp ads are just starting now, there are not that many yet.

Regarding schools, I don't know anyone who knows me well and who lives in Monsey. I would be very happy to explain my hashgafas in detail via PM, so anyone who knows about the schools, can you please post so I can PM you.

YSV has come up a few times now. Can anyone explain please more about the hashgafah there and what the families that send are like.

We are very out of towny down to earth people.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 2:04 pm
Please pm me about schools, before we made the decision to leave Monsey we researched all the elem. schools b/c that was a big factor for us wherever we were going to live. Ialso worked for 2 schools in Monsey while living there so I have an 'other side of the story' perspective too (and most of my research was aided by my employers and dh's Rav).

Nicole

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 3:50 pm
Theres a house for rent on ash lawn in new hempstead, if you're looking...

elananh

Post Sat, Mar 29 2008, 9:49 pm
Hi,

I don't know if you are still looking for a house in New Hempstead...
My aunt is looking to sell and has an awesome 4 bedroom home there, she may even rent it out. If interested , I'll give you her tel #. My email is elananh@hotmail.com

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating