Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacationing in San Diego area
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 2:08 pm
Hi would like some advice on traveling to San Diego area in the month of August. What is the weather like? In addition I will not have a car. Is it possible to do this trip relying on Ubers only? how far is one attraction from the next? What about kosher food? Thanks in advance!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 2:30 pm
San Diego is quite spread out, and Ubers have gotten really expensive. I'm sure you can get them in a big town like SD, but it will get very expensive. I wouldn't want to go there without a rental car, unless you're just planning to spend all day at a fancy resort.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 2:56 pm
I live in San Diego. San Diego is very spread out. What part of town are you staying in? What type of activities are you interested in doing?

In general, I think renting a car would probably be more practical than relying on Uber, especially if you want to go to different places like the zoo, Seaworld, LegoLand...etc which are in different parts of town. But you could definitely use Uber, I have no idea about pricing. San Diego also has a trolley & buses, so those are options to get around too.

As to kosher food options. Will you have access to a kitchen?

In regards to restaurants & already prepared kosher food options the Ralph’s store in La Jolla has a kosher section/deli with food like burgers, pizza, salads, sushi, sandwiches, chicken… etc. you’ll be able to get lots of stuff here.

The JCC in La Jolla also has a kosher vegetarian restaurant. It was previously known as “The Place” but has rebranded as Botanic Burgers. I’ve heard from friends the new menu is good.

https://botanicburgers.com

Across town in the College Area at the Beth Jacob synagogue there is a restaurant run out of the kitchen called Moishe’s. Call ahead to confirm and order. It’s only open certain evenings. Typically in the summer they have daily evening hrs, but I don’t know what their summer schedule is yet. https://www.bjsd.org/visitors

Menchies Frozen yogurt in La Mesa has dairy/parve options & is certified under the rabbi from Beth Jacob.

Krispy Kreme donuts in San Diego is also kosher, but dairy and not CY.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 4:36 pm
Where are the daily minyanim and are there minyanim available other than chabad

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 4:44 pm
what are the top 5 attractions? is disneyland worth the drive?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 5:08 pm
My kids loved Legoland and the zoo.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
Where are the daily minyanim and are there minyanim available other than chabad

Beth Jacob has a daily minyan.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:29 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
what are the top 5 attractions? is disneyland worth the drive?

Balboa Park and the San Diego zoo are great. Seaworld. LegoLand. The Safari Park.

I also like the USS Midway Musuem.

Honestly, I’d skip Disneyland. There’s plenty to do in San Diego already.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 11:51 pm
I did it without car. Uber worked out great. I love San Diego and would move there if I could.

Ellie7

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 1:21 am
There's also a daily minyan at Adat Yeshurun in La Jolla.

The weather will be great 85 degrees, absolute max, no humidity.

I'd definitely also do La Jolla Cove and see the seals, maybe a short hike in Torrey Pines.

Things are pretty far apart, so you definitely can do it with Uber, but it will be expensive.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:23 am
Disneyland will take a day but it is very doable from San Diego driving in the morning and returning in the evening. You might even think about renting a motel room in Anaheim to make it convenient.

Whether it is worth doing really depends on what your children want to see. If they have been to Disneyworld in Florida then it might not be worth it. If they have never been, then it is probably worth it.

Legoland is not very exciting when children are above a certain age.

In San Diego the musts are Seaworld and the Zoo. My kids were not that interested in other stuff but we live in Los Angeles so the ocean isn't such a big deal to them. Otherwise a trip to the beach would be something enjoyable.

August can be brutally hot in San Diego. I had made reservations for a roar and snore and it was a heat wave and temperatures were over 100 degrees. Granted it was a heat wave and there is no humidity but August is when things start to get hot in SoCal although the heat is never as excruciating as it can be in NY where it is humid.

I don't think Uber is really a viable option because the costs would be extreme. At this point the rates for Uber have gone up quite significantly and it is not longer a "free ride" that is heavy subsidized.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:06 pm
Hi, we plan on going to san diego area and of July, with kids aged 3-13.

Legoland we're doing.

Zoo, to me, sounds like a zoo... Even if really nice is really expensive.

What attractions would you recommend for two days in la jolla/san Diego area? (Excluding legoland day.)

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 11:10 pm
The zoo os AMAZING. Dh and I went and saw the pandas a couple years ago. It is 100% worth it to go and I dont even like zoos usually.
Also u MUST spend time by la Jolla, the seal beach. It is beyond cool.
I want to go for 2 days just to go to the seal beach and zoo with my kids.

Ellie7

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:13 am
The zoo is a great zoo, but they don't have pandas anymore. They gave them back to China. Really.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:

Legoland we're doing.

What attractions would you recommend for two days in la jolla/san Diego area? (Excluding legoland day.)

If you can stay in the LEGOLAND hotel one night, it is so worth it! We like sea world. There’s a beautiful splash pad park across from the midway museum overlooking the bay. Definitely go to the La Jolla cove to see the seals. It’s stunning there!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 4:08 am
I loved Balboa park botanical gardens.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jul 08 2021, 10:01 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:

Legoland we're doing.

The San Diego Zoo is actually quite amazing. Really beautiful to walk around. And I believe they are open for late evening hrs now.

Right next to the zoo is Balboa Park, which is a nice area to explore. Tons of Museums (some are free) and lovely gardens to walk around.

I also really like the Midway Museum. It’s downtown on the waterfront. It’s an old navy ship that has been turned into a Museum.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:02 am
Bump!
Any other attractions that are must see? Also does it change anything if I’m going for winter break? Are the seals still in La Jolla cove?

We are doing sea world one day but another day looking for fun activities to do with the kids ages 3.5-11?? Any recommendations?

Ellie7

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:10 am
The seals will still be in the Cove, but beware the weather will be chilly. Also, we have more restaurants now. https://www.chabadatlacosta.co.....o.htm

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 1:48 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
Bump!
Any other attractions that are must see? Also does it change anything if I’m going for winter break? Are the seals still in La Jolla cove?

We are doing sea world one day but another day looking for fun activities to do with the kids ages 3.5-11?? Any recommendations?

I went this timing to La Jolla and we saw maybe 1/2 seals. We loved the zoo though we came late and didn’t get to see most which was disappointing. The zoo has a tour bus that takes you around, if you’d like and has a few stops.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics