Home

Protectsia Writing in a Magazine
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:17 pm
I wamt to write for magazines but I found that all the ppl I kno who write for these mags are apparantly sworn
to secrecy and wont tell me where to send in my stuff why?
Back to top

amother




Daphne
 

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:20 pm
What do you mean by won't tell you where to send? You can't send to the submissions email?
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wamt to write for magazines but I found that all the ppl I kno who write for these mags are apparantly sworn
to secrecy and wont tell me where to send in my stuff why?


I've been writing for magazines for more than 30 years, and I have never heard this before. They should have an email link to submit, or submit via Submittable.
Back to top

amother




Yellow
 

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:24 pm
Or a phone number you can call, and an address you can mail to, if it's one of those magazines.
Back to top

seeker




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:54 pm
I dunno, both on imamother and off, I have only seen writers offer generous help to others. But anyway, as the others said, submission info is usually very publicly available.
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:21 am
Look online under submissions on any of their websites.
https://mishpacha.com/help-center/
Back to top

amother




Pearl
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:38 am
I don't write. I do know that in the general editing world at large (not frum) that you have to send in submissions through the proper channels. For example, if you know Ms. A, who writes a weekly column, you cannot submit samples to her editor directly.
Is that what happened in your situation? They assumed you meant their personal contact at the magazine?
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:03 am
Huh? No, you send your pitch to the submissions@... Email address.
Each mag has one.

I think it's called protexia if you are asking a friend to get you an "in" wth an editor. You will put them in a very uncomfortable position. They don't want to jeopardize their business relationship.

I was published once by Mishpacha, once by Binah, and rejected several other times.

Also, I don't submit without reading what I have written over and over, over several days, and have a good friend writer/critique look it over. She is really helpful. In the case of my mishpacha article, my friend really pushed me to dig deeper into the topic I was writing about.
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:04 am
And for perhaps a better idea of what to do, join soferet googlegroup.
Or Google ann goldberg, israel. She had a writing bulletin
Back to top

amother




Poppy
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:22 am
I don't know which magazine you are referring to, but I echo what everyone else said. Are you referring to writing a set column or submitting freelance articles?

I have written articles and stories that have gotten published. In the last few years, I have been published around 20 times, in Mishpacha, Ami and Binah. I dont have an "in" with any magazine. I just send the piece to their submission email.

The thing is you need to send your piece to one magazine and wait until they respond. You can't send to two places at once.

And like one of the other posters said, I spend a lot of time editing and refining my piece before I send it in.

It's very common to get rejections. Several times, I have gotten a piece rejected by one magazine and proceeded to send it to the next where it was accepted.

Hatzlacha.
Back to top

amother




Buttercup
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wamt to write for magazines but I found that all the ppl I kno who write for these mags are apparantly sworn
to secrecy and wont tell me where to send in my stuff why?


submissions@mishpacha.com
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:47 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Huh? No, you send your pitch to the submissions@... Email address.
Each mag has one.

I think it's called protexia if you are asking a friend to get you an "in" wth an editor. You will put them in a very uncomfortable position. They don't want to jeopardize their business relationship.

I was published once by Mishpacha, once by Binah, and rejected several other times.

Also, I don't submit without reading what I have written over and over, over several days, and have a good friend writer/critique look it over. She is really helpful. In the case of my mishpacha article, my friend really pushed me to dig deeper into the topic I was writing about.

With all due respect to the magazines, once you email your pitch, the pitch belongs to them. I've heard from friends and read here from women who have emailed the pitch, were ignored or rejected, just to find their same story appear not too long after. Sending in a pitch is just another way for them to curate ideas to send to their known authors. So yes, this is how you have to do it but know it is a risk.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 8:53 am
watergirl wrote:
With all due respect to the magazines, once you email your pitch, the pitch belongs to them. I've heard from friends and read here from women who have emailed the pitch, were ignored or rejected, just to find their same story appear not too long after. Sending in a pitch is just another way for them to curate ideas to send to their known authors. So yes, this is how you have to do it but know it is a risk.


Watergirl, I have NEVER heard this before. While it's been called bad form to pitch two outlets at the same time, printing your piece without a contract or agreement or payment is wholly unprofessional.

Legally, I do not believe the pitch belongs to them.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:07 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Watergirl, I have NEVER heard this before. While it's been called bad form to pitch two outlets at the same time, printing your piece without a contract or agreement or payment is wholly unprofessional.

Legally, I do not believe the pitch belongs to them.

I have. It's not ethical and not halachic, but I think there is a disclaimer somewhere in the very very small print. It's not they are printing your piece. They are stealing the idea/theme/story line. A pitch is not a piece, it is a pitch - a paragraph or so.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:08 am
watergirl wrote:
I have. It's not ethical and not halachic, but I think there is a disclaimer somewhere in the very very small print. It's not they are printing your piece. They are stealing the idea/theme/story line. A pitch is not a piece, it is a pitch - a paragraph or so.


Oh, sadly I know all about this: idea theft. Like when you "try out" to work for a mag and for free, give them a list of ten articles that would be great for them and then somewhat miraculously those articles appear. I send an invoice!
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:19 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Oh, sadly I know all about this: idea theft. Like when you "try out" to work for a mag and for free, give them a list of ten articles that would be great for them and then somewhat miraculously those articles appear. I send an invoice!

Yup. Totally a thing. That's one reason I never send any stories when magazines run contests for prizes. They literally tell you that your story becomes their property once you send it in if they print it or if they don't. The top three will win some kind of prize and the rest get filed away... wake up people. This is their way of getting you to send in content for their own use when they run out of ideas. And it happens. Chicken Soup for the Soul really knew what they were doing with their model - millions of story submissions for free = no author to pay; how many books are in their series now? And frum publishers wisely took up the same model (I am sure CSFTS did not invent it) and there you go. And this is not even theft, its a very smart way to sell books, magazines, etc and not have to pay authors. Win-win!
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:42 am
watergirl wrote:
Yup. Totally a thing. That's one reason I never send any stories when magazines run contests for prizes. They literally tell you that your story becomes their property once you send it in if they print it or if they don't. The top three will win some kind of prize and the rest get filed away... wake up people. This is their way of getting you to send in content for their own use when they run out of ideas. And it happens. Chicken Soup for the Soul really knew what they were doing with their model - millions of story submissions for free = no author to pay; how many books are in their series now? And frum publishers wisely took up the same model (I am sure CSFTS did not invent it) and there you go. And this is not even theft, its a very smart way to sell books, magazines, etc and not have to pay authors. Win-win!


This is why I do not work for the chance of prizes: I do not work for free.
Back to top

amother




Jean
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:59 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is why I do not work for the chance of prizes: I do not work for free.

But for new authors isn’t it a good idea to do some beginning work for free to build up a portfolio and name? People of all industries do this.
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
But for new authors isn’t it a good idea to do some beginning work for free to build up a portfolio and name? People of all industries do this.

It's exploitative in all industries.
Back to top

vintagebknyc




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
But for new authors isn’t it a good idea to do some beginning work for free to build up a portfolio and name? People of all industries do this.


Never. The whole "getting exposure by working for free" is a big scam.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Add-letter inBinah magazine
by Esty 4
0 Today at 4:28 pm View last post
Der Shteren Magazine
by amother
2 Sun, Nov 21 2021, 12:29 pm View last post
ISO: binah magazine roasted vegetable soup
by Winterb
4 Tue, Oct 19 2021, 10:39 pm View last post
[ Poll ] Ami magazine-
by amother
3 Thu, Oct 14 2021, 5:30 am View last post
ISO low cost Creative Writing course for young adult, Bklyn
by amother
1 Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:26 pm View last post