Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech therapist paycheck rant!!!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:19 pm
im a speech therapist.
I work PT, 9-3:30
M-th bh so I get my fridays off

I cant believe my paycheck at the end of the month was 3000 bc I was taxed 1000

I know I dont work FT bc im not there till 5 but I really make so little
speech is the worst!

I want to be home to see my baby, and when I have more kids I dont want to miss their childhood by working till 5 and coming home at 6:15 (long commute). I guess I have to accept my job doesnt make any money!

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im a speech therapist.

speech is the worst!

I want to be home to see my baby, and when I have more kids I dont want to miss their childhood by working till 5 and coming home at 6:15 (long commute). I guess I have to accept my job doesnt make any money!

That’s $30 an hour? Sounds off

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:36 pm
That sounds low for an slp.
Why are your taxes so high?

Bluepink

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
im a speech therapist.

speech is the worst!

Are you saying you were paid $4k gross this month? That’s about $42 per hour. Not a lot, but not a little either. Unfortunately, job hours and convenience are often related to salary.

mommy100

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:45 pm
Speech get paid per session not hour so are you seeing students back to back the whole time? Also are you a cf or certified that will change the pay rate and lastly are you working with bilingual students?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jun 17 2021, 11:49 pm
no wonder I can't find a speech therapist for my son

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:14 am
find a job closer to home. 1/2 commute is ideal. Short commute is the secret to happier life.

Otherwise, part time work gets part time pay.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:28 am
A lot get taken off for taxes.
I do seit.
But even 4000$ seems low if you work that many hours a week

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:42 am
You are working 26 hours a week. You are making $38.50/hour. Or $45.50/ hour if you are off an hour for lunch-not sure if you have a lunch break or not. That is really not bad at all. When SLP/OT/PT/Seits… make $75-100 a session /hour, they are usually either working for themselves and/or contract-which means no guarantee of work and dead time between cases and no work-no pay if a student is out or cancels. There are ways to make more, but it is often either “inconvenient” or requires a lot of hustling and a good business sense/marketing yourself. Steady, consistent, part time work which you don’t need to find for yourself and has reasonable hours come with a cost of lower pay. I do hope that you find your work enjoyable and fulfilling. I would hate to think you picked healthcare for the cash.

-an RDN with 20+ year of experience working in a variety of settings with friends who are all experienced OT/PT/SLP/MSW who work in a wide variety of settings as well.

Tax is another story and not a function of the job but rather the government and your deductibles. Get a good account to file your returns and hopefully you will get a nice chunk back at the end of the year.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:52 am
I wanted to ask what capacity you work in.
Are you in a private Early Intevention center? Homecare? Private (Yeshiva) School? NYC DOE? Rehab/ECF? Hospital doing swollow studies?

Different jobs have different perks.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:02 am
Speak to your accountant. You may be deducting too much.

SYA

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 1:08 am
I've heard that in preschool age and above when going through an agency to see the kids in school the pay is between 50-75 an hour. Most kids get a 1/2 hour session twice a week. If you schedule back to back without breaks you can make more than what you are making now. That would be 5000-7800 monthly.

What age are you working with? Privately or through and agency?... that'll make a difference in the pay.

amother
Moccasin

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:22 am
If you build yourself up now And develop a niche then you can eventually go into private practice and ask for much more

Coffee beanz

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:26 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
You are working 26 hours a week. You are making $38.50/hour. Or $45.50/ hour if you are off an hour for lunch-not sure if you have a lunch break or not. That is really not bad at all. When SLP/OT/PT/Seits… make $75-100 a session /hour, they are usually either working for themselves and/or contract-which means no guarantee of work and dead time between cases and no work-no pay if a student is out or cancels. There are ways to make more, but it is often either “inconvenient” or requires a lot of hustling and a good business sense/marketing yourself. Steady, consistent, part time work which you don’t need to find for yourself and has reasonable hours come with a cost of lower pay. I do hope that you find your work enjoyable and fulfilling. I would hate to think you picked healthcare for the cash.

-an RDN with 20+ year of experience working in a variety of settings with friends who are all experienced OT/PT/SLP/MSW who work in a wide variety of settings as well.

Tax is another story and not a function of the job but rather the government and your deductibles. Get a good account to file your returns and hopefully you will get a nice chunk back at the end of the year.

This is all true. You get paid more as a private contractor per hour but no guaranteed salary. Do you live in ny?

Last edited by Coffee beanz on Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:28 am
I dont know why speech therapists are always so shocked with their paycheck, especially after working part time. There is a misconception that speech therapist will be rich from working minimal hours. You make a decent amount per hour. Everyone pays taxes. If it's not enough, there are jobs in different settings that pay more, or work more hours.

Coffee beanz

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:30 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I dont know why speech therapists are always so shocked with their paycheck, especially after working part time. There is a misconception that speech therapist will be rich from working minimal hours. You make a decent amount per hour. Everyone pays taxes. If it's not enough, there are jobs in different settings that pay more, or work more hours.

They are shocked because we do not have proper financial education in my opinion but that is a whole different story

honey36

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:42 am
Just wanted to say that private practice is not always better. Most private slp's will have to work after school and weekends so the hours are terrible for someone with kids.

Yes, your not making much money but that's the trade off for only working till 3:30 plus no Fridays and I'm assuming you have summer and yom tov off also...

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 9:46 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:

This is correct. There are a lot of threads by speech, OT, and seit (one of those only in NYC things) who chose these occupations because they are told they are good for frum mothers because the hours can be set by you... then they seem confused when they set part time hours and make a part time income. Fridays off is a serious luxury and your paycheck will reflect that.

OP, I know you came here to rant (did she mean vent?) and I know it is frustrating and upsetting when your paycheck does not match what you were hoping. Did you crunch the numbers when you accepted the job and decided not to work more hours and Fridays off? This is a problem you can change if you want to. It's all a cheshbon for you and your husband to make. There are so many frum working mothers who do full time or more than full time (like me!). You can do it if you chose to. Yes, it will take adjustment and things will have to be sacrificed and no, it is not the best. We all do it because we need the parnassa from full time hours. You are blessed because you chose a field with a lot of potential to earn very nicely if you decide to work in a full time setting and not in a school with kids or for an agency where you can decide how many cases you work. I have a good friend who works for our local county school district as a speech therapist. She has a full time case load but because she works for the district, she has school hours and is home before 5. She BH has a very good parnassa.

amother
Moccasin

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:21 am
honey36 wrote:
Just wanted to say that private practice is not always better. Most private slp's will have to work after school and weekends so the hours are terrible for someone with kids.

Yes, your not making much money but that's the trade off for only working till 3:30 plus no Fridays and I'm assuming you have summer and yom tov off also...

True
But it also depends on what you do to further your career and how in demand you are.
I currently take my son out of class for a social skill / floortime type therapist and would do the same if the therapists original degree was in speech. I pay 200 for 45 minutes and it’s been worth every penny.

Eta: I know that you dont get rich from this! But it’s more than what he’d be making otherwise

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:24 am
Please don’t feel like your degree is not worth it. A job is just hishtadlus for parnassah. Iyh you will gain more skill and get paid more one day
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics