Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What does erev shabbos/yom tov look like in your house?
Previous  1  2  3

What's erev shabbos like in your house on a scale of 1-5 ?
1 (Calm, on time, happy)  
 18%  [ 45 ]
 22%  [ 54 ]
3 (somewhat in the middle)  
 37%  [ 90 ]
 8%  [ 21 ]
5 (last minute lighting, chaotic, lots of tension/getting angry)  
 11%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 237

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 9:47 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
My house is calm and ready early. Back in the days when my kids were small I set the dining room table on Tuesday and I did grocery orders. Cooking starts on Wednesday. I don't make fancy dishes, but good traditional Shabbos food that everyone likes. I only work until 12pm on Friday so that helps. For many years I did not have a cleaning lady on Friday so I got up at the crack of dawn Friday morn to wash the floors. I still set up my Shabbos candles on Thursday. I hate feeling tense so I do everything I humanly can to prevent stress. Of course, HKBH is in charge but I feel like He helps me because I try my best. Aside for my married kids I don't have much company for Shabbos - when I do, I am still ready early but certainly I am more stressed.

How does it work with setting the table? Doesn't everything get full of dust?

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:04 am
I wish I was more organized but always ends up being very last minute. However I don’t let the atmosphere become tense and I don’t believe in yelling. So while I barely slide into shabbos on time, and it’s more rushed than I’d like, there’s no anger or chaos.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:44 am
feels stressful to kids and chaotic
in reality-it's not thaaat stressful/chaotic
it's just not 'ready'
there is laundry to put away. last minute cleanups. some last minute
food prep.
[what I tell myself]
am definitely aiming to get better at:
1.being ready earlier
[means starting out prep earlier in week]
2. not creating atmosphere of chaos through
barking orders or emitting stress vibes
3. having food for erev in house and some activity
ideas to keep kids out of each others hair

coming from home where e/t was picture perfect and still is
but BOTH parents had this as priority and worked hard to achieve it each week
so I feel like an utter failure

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:25 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
How does it work with setting the table? Doesn't everything get full of dust?

I cover the set table with a big clean bedsheet. It's not out there for months; it's just from Thursday night. I don't live in the Sahara and we don't suffer from sandstorms; even without the sheet it would be fine. The sheet is just insurance.

Oops, sorry I see you were asking another ima who sets the table on Tuesday. It's tempting to do this, but on occasion I need to use the table during the week for one thing or another. Right this moment, I have a messy craft project spread all over it.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 11:29 am
It's usually calm. I really try not to leave anything for friday.

I find the most hectic time is the "supper time" like after at 4:30 when my kids get hungry.

...and they are not easy to feed.

I have to convince them to eat, sit...but I also need time and patience for all that.
and I also have a toddler and baby..so things can get hectic with taking care of them while doing last minute clean up and last minute stuff for shabbos.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:19 pm
What do you all feed your family erev Shabbos? I do potato kugel but would love other ideas.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
What do you all feed your family erev Shabbos? I do potato kugel but would love other ideas.

my kids dont really eat potato kugel.

deli roll or franks n blanks and sometimes deli earlier on.
Closer to shabbos, orzo, chicken, apple crisp.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:59 pm
We are pretty chilled her I cook Friday afternoon I cook basic and what we like . but really try to put up and take it out for shabbos so no cooling putting away taking out and warming up. I do have cleaning help these days Friday morning that definitely helps. It’s helps that I don’t need to be relying on my kids Bh they do what they need to help they all still have jobs to get done . My house growing up was alway crazy even though cooking started wensday . And my in-laws also start supper early. my way makes my dh a bit ansy but he realizes it works for me and we always come into shabbos with food and clean a ready house . My motto is you gotta do what works
I have definitely lost it on a Friday and got frustrated at everything and everyone but that can happen on any day someone is tired and overworked but in general it doesn’t happen often and it’s not shabbos is coming that wild make me more on edg

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:27 pm
I am a very organized person, but terrible with time (I know, it sounds like an oxymoron). So I make my menu and do the grocery shopping on Wednesday, only bake challah on Sundays (I work full time), cook most of the food late into Thursday night, will not go to sleep Thursday night until the table is fully set, but I am almost always running up to shower 10-15 minutes before licht bentching. I do cook elaborate meals and the kids are fed and house is calm on Friday afternoon, but somehow everything takes longer than I expect it to. So, my kid will be all showered and ready and I will tell my husband it's okay for him to go up an hour before the zman to shower because "I only have a few little things to do and will be right up" but it takes me longer than I expect and the little things that only take 5 minutes add up to lots of minutes. I am always rushed and light at the last minute. Wish I could change that.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:

I make a point of those kids that do not eat lunch at school having a real lunch on Friday - frozen pizza, pasta, bagels, eggs or anything easy that is real food so they are not starving, but no real cooking. Before Shabbos they eat from the cholent or sample other Shabbos foods, but not so much that they are not hungry for the seuda. We make early Shabbos in the summer, so it's not so much past regular supper time.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note