Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Keeping DD entertained on toilet

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:14 pm
Today was Day 1 of toilet training. 2yo DD is smart and has been begging to use the toilet for a couple of months now. She is strong-headed and quite verbal. As predicted, 2 hours in she was declaring "I don't want to go to the toilet, I want a nappy" etc. I think the main issue is that she's bored while sitting on the toilet for the 5 minutes I set on the timer. Thing is, a couple of times today she went during the last minute, so I can't really make that shorter...
She doesn't like having books read to her and is not confident enough to balance while holding the book. She doesn't want to sing songs, and storytelling doesn't help for long either. She didn't want to draw or play with PlayDough either... Any ideas?

Rappel

Post Sat, Jun 19 2021, 11:26 pm
Why doesn't she like books being read to her?

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:09 am
It was over a decade ago, but we used a toy that was reserved specifically for sitting in the bathroom.

For us, this one worked (my grandchildren have one and love it, too) but each child is different.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0.....6DGVS

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 2:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

She doesn't like having books read to her and is not confident enough to balance while holding the book. She doesn't want to sing songs, and storytelling doesn't help for long either. She didn't want to draw or play with PlayDough either... Any ideas?

Use a potty for now instead of having her on the toilet. Its smaller and her feet can reach the ground, so there's no issue of balancing. She might be happier holding her own book then. If you do screens, you can even allow her to watch a five minute children's film while she sits.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 4:50 am
I'm not sure why she doesn't like being read to, she's not a huge fan of books in general. She seemed to gain confidence about balancing on the toilet (there's a footstool for her feet) as the day progressed. We don't do screentime... I guess we'll have to try a bunch of things until we find something that works or she gets trained, whichever happens first...

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 5:08 am
What about listening to a cd. Keep one in that bathroom only for when she is sitting. Will that keep her distracted and entertained to sit long enough?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training