Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this a good reason to try to switch schools?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 8:47 am
Nausea on the school bus. It’s a lonnng ride. A good school closer to us was full when I tried to register my older daughter. We ended up sending to a school that was farther away. She’s 6 and complained every single day about the long ride and that she feels nauseous on the bus. She leaves the house at 7:45, gets to school at 8:45. Leaves school at 3:45, gets home at 4:45, sometimes later.
If we tried to switch schools it’s possible the closer school would have room. I see the other mothers waiting for the bus at 8:10 and 4:20. I feel guilty that I couldn’t get her into the other school. Otherwise we’re happy with the school even though she in general complains about everything and hates school. I don’t think that would be different in another school.
Her sister will also be on the bus next year with her IyH. She’s 4 and they don’t get along so well.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 9:26 am
Oh boy.

Take my story for what it's worth.

I grew up in Boro Park but for high school went to Prospect. Literally the other end of town. Needed to take either 2 buses or a bus and a train and then walk.

There was also a little shuttle type van that combined the routes but if I took that I would get to school late.

In 9th grade I'd get off the bus, cross the avenue and vomit. On the street. Every. Single. Day.

Ewwwww. I think I'm still traumatized.

But.... It really was the best school for me. So I'm glad I stuck it out.

But I was in high school, not 6yo.

Can you tackle it a different way? Find a different mode of transportation? Ask to be the last to be picked up? Help her figure out where she can sit in the bus that's easier on the tummy? Teach her nausea minimizing tricks (surprisingly, she may not realize that doing stuff while in motion can lead to nausea)

I know someone who as an adult is getting OT to help with motion sickness - maybe this might be helpful for your kid?

Sea bands? They're wrist cuffs with a hard round bump that goes over an acupressure point - seemed to have helped my younger kids tolerate carpool...

Ginger candies? Gum?

Oysh, I feel for her...

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 9:28 am
My kids school is a 4 minute drive from my house and they're on the bus for 50 minutes. A closer school doesn't guarantee a shorter bus ride.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 9:31 am
If you own a house and are "settled" I would do it.

DD is still young enough that it is not a big adjustment.

If DD were older and had good friends then I wouldn't do it but 6 - 7 years old
should be ok.

I would get a class list and try to make play dates of girls who live close by to
help her adjust socially.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics