Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names in Anglo charedi israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 5:52 pm
We plan to stay in israel long term . Recently dh and I were talking about baby names and I realized we ar white kind of at a loss . We like what would be considered unique but not very out there names in jpf/ yeshivish American circles but don't know how that correlates to names in israel . We don't know what is in style . We want to make sure we aren't naming our kids names that sound nice in America but would sound off in israel .
For reference some names we like for a girl : chaviva , yonina, yakira, batya, Avigail, nava , chedva
For a boy we like : Gavriel, uri, Shmuel

What are some names that fit into that type of category that are popular in israel ?

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 7:25 pm
"In style"?

I really can't relate to this question.

We (and most other yeshivish / Charedi that I know) name after a family member or Rav, meaningful figure from tanach, etc.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 7:54 pm
Duplicate post

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 8:03 pm
Tanachi names are always acceptable, but sometimes one or two names come to the fore for some reason. I've heard if a lit of babies called Tamar recently. Before that it was Yael, and a few years back there were lots of Avigayils.

OP I think most if the names you mention would be acceptable. The Israeli chareidi community dies not make a thing of having unique names, possibly because they are less concerned about the future email address. The focus tends to be on family names, meaning and tradition. Some people will make a point of naming after a deceased family member or a Rav. Others may consult with a Rav as to the best name. And some will just decide for themselves.

LisaS

Post Sun, Jun 20 2021, 11:44 pm
If you plan to stay in anglo communities then it's less of an issue than if you are trying to make sure your kids will have names common in the general Israeli society.

Of the girls names you mentioned the first four I haven't heard in my community, the last three yes. Of the boys names all are of course popular in many circles.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:02 am
Chaviva Yonina and Yakira are *exclusively* American Jewish names - they will label your child as such . Avigayil is one of the most popular frum names I’m Israel very much in chareidi and pretty popular in dati leumi society as well (but a bit less so) Batya would work well too (but less popular), Chedva to me is old fashioned, but would work as a a bit unique but acceptable, retro.
Gavriel and Shmuel are classics - Uri is w bit modern but will fit in perfectly in American/modern chareidi society.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 12:44 am
Thanks fir all who replied. What j mean by in style is that I won't unknowingly give them a name that is considered old ladyish or not pretty in their culture . Like for example chaviva is " normal " babe in American bays yakov but not really in israel it seems. Any mute babe suggestions welcome ...

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:18 am
Yonina to me sounds like a Polish cleaning lady

salt

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 1:58 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Chaviva Yonina and Yakira are *exclusively* American Jewish names - they will label your child as such . Avigayil is one of the most popular frum names I’m Israel very much in chareidi and pretty popular in dati leumi society as well (but a bit less so) Batya would work well too (but less popular), Chedva to me is old fashioned, but would work as a a bit unique but acceptable, retro.
Gavriel and Shmuel are classics - Uri is w bit modern but will fit in perfectly in American/modern chareidi society.

Perfect summary.

I know 2 charedi Israeli Chedvas (aged ~ 5 and 15). If it's pronounced with the emphasis on the 'va' (מלרע) it sounds less old fashioned.
Agree with this poster about all the other mentioned names.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:02 am
DD is Chedva. I think it is a beautiful name and I think I’m more obsessed with her because of it. There are a few other Chedvas in the neighborhood.
Tamar is very popular in every israeli demographic.
I think Chaviva would go, I’m not sure about Yonina and Yakira. Batya, Avigail and Nava would be accepted.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:13 am
Yakir is acceptable here. Not Yakira.

I'm similar to you OP. The issue is is a lot of names I like like Yakir are considered Sefardi names.

Uri/Uriel is also more sefardi but not too too much out there anymore.

Not that I care about what society thinks, it's more that I don't want my kid to be made fun of and be a social outcast.

The girls names you said are very odd in Israel. I can give you some more out there names that are tanachi more for girls and would be uncommon but acceptable in a chareidi circle.

Noa, Nava, Naama, Ayala, Meira, Rut,

There's some more I recently saw on a thread.

Yakira is a made up name as far as I know, not sure about Yonina. But you could do Yonah (either for a boy or a girl) Batya is fine, not heard much but would sound fine.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:17 am
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
"In style"?

I really can't relate to this question.

We (and most other yeshivish / Charedi that I know) name after a family member or Rav, meaningful figure from tanach, etc.

In style meaning somewhat used nowadays. You don't want your kid to have a very unusual name.

Michla, machla, and Ritzpah were all meaningful people from tanach, yet a majority of people do not use their names. And kids may even make fun of your child if you would name them it.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:32 am
I know several Chavivas, Yakiras, and Yoninas - every single one of them was born to American Jewish families - except one Yakira who was born to British Jewish parents. I would not name a child one of those names in Israel, although obviously perfectly fine in American Jewish communities (along with Adira and Meira - other names of this genre).

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:47 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I know several Chavivas, Yakiras, and Yoninas - every single one of them was born to American Jewish families - except one Yakira who was born to British Jewish parents. I would not name a child one of those names in Israel, although obviously perfectly fine in American Jewish communities (along with Adira and Meira - other names of this genre).

I see Maor is popular in the DL world. I do see Meira here the past few years in some Anglo areas. I think its fine.

amother
Hosta

Elisheva also seems to be an American name. I know one Elisheva whose parents might be tzabarim bnei tzabarim. The others all have an American parent.

amother
Hosta

amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I see Maor is popular in the DL world. I do see Meira here the past few years in some Anglo areas. I think its fine.

Maor is good for girls and boys both.

Meira is Anglo.

etky

chanchy123 wrote:

I agree except in regard to Meira.
I know many totally Israeli Meiras some of whom (older ones generally) are secular btw.
I think that once upon a time it was a way to call a female baby after a male Meir and in previous generations Meir was a very common male name across the board here in Israel.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:51 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Maor can be for boys and girls.
Meir and Yair for boys are names that always seems to be in style.
And Tair for girls is newer and less common, but also seen in DL world.
Meira is American Jewish.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 2:57 am
salt wrote:
Maor can be for boys and girls.
Meir and Yair for boys are names that always seems to be in style.
And Tair for girls is newer and less common, but also seen in DL world.
Meira is American Jewish.

Yes, my three year old has a girl Maor in gan, this is the first female Maor I've encountered.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:06 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
In style meaning somewhat used nowadays. You don't want your kid to have a very unusual name.

Michla, machla, and Ritzpah were all meaningful people from tanach, yet a majority of people do not use their names. And kids may even make fun of your child if you would name them it.
It's not so much that Yakira, Adira, Yonina, etc. are unusual it's just that they are so affiliated with a very specific community that if you don't belong to it - it's a bit off. Like a very litvish family naming their daughter Chaya Mushke.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names