Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Maaser System

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 8:35 am
I’m wondering if anyone has a good system for how to keep track of how much maaser they owe and have paid. I have a word document where I list everything but it’s not that efficient or neat.

Thanks!

Lovable

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 8:38 am
For me its super simple, being that I get paid through direct deposit to my account. So I set up an automatic weekly maaser transfer to a separate maaser account that we created

L25

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 8:58 am
10 percent of my husband's paycheck goes in to a separate account. when we get gift money... we take maaser and put it in as well. The only thing that makes it challenging is that people/organizations don't always cash the check right away so my husband has to keep track that there is really less money in there then it seems.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:08 am
My husband uses an excel sheet. He does it this way because besides for keeping track of how much maaser we owe/pay, he likes to spend it in certain categories- a certain percentage to yeshivas and torah institutions, a certain percentage to organizations that help the needy, some to charities in EY, etc etc

So he has a column where he inputs all income as it's received, and you can set one cell to automatically calculate 10% (or whatever percentage you choose) of that column, and then you can enter what you paid out, and it will give you a running total. It works pretty efficiently, and we can also look back on previous years to see what we gave certain organizations.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:09 am
Having 10% sent to a separate account is actually so smart! I’m going to consider doing that.

I also really like the excel sheet idea - I’d need to research how to set up the cells appropriately though.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 9:16 am
Our system is that we pay throughout the year and we reconcile at the end of the year. We use excel.

At the end of the year we take our W2 and calculate the amount we should have paid throughout the year.

Then we add up all the tzedaka we gave that year. My husband is good at entering it into the spreadsheet when it happens because he always checks the credit card and bank statements anyway.

Then we compare the two numbers. If we gave extra, we push it forward to the next year's cheshbon. If we paid too little we add it to next year's amount we owe and make sure we give extra the following year so we can catch up.

teachkids

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 10:38 am
We also use an Google sheet (like Excel) sheet. If you want to pm me your email I can send you a template
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions