Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Would you bother reporting such an incident?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:33 pm
DS (17 YO) was walking in Manhattan (the W 40s off 5th Ave) when he happened to pass by some African American anti-police protest with around twenty five to thirty five people there. He tried walking by unnoticed but then heard the guy on the megaphone saying “We are going to bring an end to the police” and then in an apparent reference to DS adding “and Jews with Kipas. We are going to make sure they are not around anymore….”

Luckily DS was right near the train station he was heading to, so he just ran down the stairs inside. Question is if he should just ignore the incident or report to someone and if he should report it to who?

blessedflower

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:44 pm
Scary! No idea what you should do

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:45 pm
I would go to my local precinct and report it. Conversely, I would reach out to my my neighborhood representative on city council and report. This cannot be tolerated.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:45 pm
I’m not really sure what can be done. People are allowed free speech and unfortunately that includes hate speech. If they were just chanting in a protest and not doing anything towards your son, then they haven’t done anything illegal and there is really nothing to report

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:46 pm
Very unfortunate but I don't think the police will do anything. Thankfully nobody was hurt. The city is running wild with crime and the I don't think the police will intervene with something that fortunately is over with.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:50 pm
try the anti Defamation league, they should be able to advise you. If nothing comes from it its helpful for their statistics and when they fight for more security.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Very unfortunate but I don't think the police will do anything. Thankfully nobody was hurt. The city is running wild with crime and the I don't think the police will intervene with something that fortunately is over with.

But it will go on record, and every time it's said it will be repeated on record. If something bad happens, there will be proof.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:54 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
But it will go on record, and every time it's said it will be repeated on record. If something bad happens, there will be proof.

There is nothing to put on record, they didn’t do anything illegal. Police don’t write up reports for crimes that haven’t happened yet

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 3:56 pm
The police will probably laugh at you. They don’t care about anyone either.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
There is nothing to put on record, they didn’t do anything illegal. Police don’t write up reports for crimes that haven’t happened yet

That is untrue.

A man online said filthy things to me (on a friend's facebook page). I printed out that page and went to the 78th precinct, and they entered it as a case of harassment. Was it illegal? No. What happens when the guy, say, punches someone and the police get called? Why, this printout comes up.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
The police will probably laugh at you. They don’t care about anyone either.

The police have never laughed at me when I have gone to them.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:06 pm
The only benefit it has is that goes in record . So if these individuals do something worse it would be on record and will be able to be used against them.
For example I had kids yell out a school bus daily “F’n Jew”. Then they started throwing their snacks out the window as they said it. DH felt I should report it in case one day they throw a rock and I get hurt. I never did report it but I understood the idea of reporting.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:23 pm
I would. It only helps to report antisemitic incidents. Otherwise they claim it doesn’t happen. So yeah each and every report help to prove that it’s happening and the city must start dealing with it. So many don’t report which is why the stats are not accurate.

wordsmith

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:54 pm
If you can, report it to the ADL, it's important that accurate numbers of anti-Semitic incidents (and that's what this is - anti-Semitic harassment) be available and too often they are not. Knowing the true scope of the issue helps when our communal representatives press the need for more security funding, increased patrols, etc. https://www.adl.org/reportincident

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:03 pm
This stuff happens around KJ all the time. No point in reporting unless it's against a particular location or person chv.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:35 pm
Absolutely report it. Even if nothing is done about this incident, it adds to the statistics to prove there's a problem. Big things start with little things. You know the analogy of the frog in a pot? I have no clue if this is biologically correct, but it's said that if a frog is thrown into a pot of boiling water, he'll jump right out. If he's put in a pot of cold water that is gradually heated, he stays put till he's good and cooked.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:02 pm
Definitely yes

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:14 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
That is untrue.

A man online said filthy things to me (on a friend's facebook page). I printed out that page and went to the 78th precinct, and they entered it as a case of harassment. Was it illegal? No. What happens when the guy, say, punches someone and the police get called? Why, this printout comes up.

Harassment is illegal and a crime. It is not what OP is describing. OP is describing a protest where they mentioned anti-sematic remarks. This falls under free speech. They did not harass her son. They did not follow him, or curse at him or even address him directly. They made a comment during their protest while he walked by.

In this case, it was also a group of strangers on the street. There is no specific name to report, as you say it would help in the future if he committed a crime. They are not going to send out detectives to investigate and come back with the names who attended and find the man responsible for the remarks. So even if a report was made, which it wouldnt be, it would do absolutely nothing.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:29 pm
Um ok so what if they choose to say “kill the choose your color minority group?” Free speech? Or cancellable culture

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:30 pm
JLM
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries