Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gooseberries/Golden Berries

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:17 pm
I noticed golden goose/gooseberries for the first time today at Trader Joe’s. They looked good but I never heard of them—does anyone know if they have a bug problem and need to be checked etc.? I couldn’t find anything on CRC or StarK website.
TIA!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:20 pm
I assume they would be a form of raspberry because they resemble raspberries

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I assume they would be a form of raspberry because they resemble raspberries

They don’t look anything like raspberries. They look like orange round grapes or baby cherry tomatoes.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:27 pm
Ok. I have seen yellow raspberries and I thought you were describing those.

Now that you describe them, they are actually that mysterious fruit in a canned fruit cocktail. I always thought they were grapes until I read the label 😂

yamz

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:32 pm
Actually, I believe they may be related to tomatoes. They even look a lot like orange cherry tomatoes. No place for bugs to hang out. Just rinse them off and enjoy!

nanny24/7

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:37 pm
They usually come with a "shell" of dried leaves connected flowering around each berry. I would remove the leaves of each berry and then rinse.
I did once see a bug but it was very clearly on the leaf and crawled away as soon as I picked off the leaf.
This was only once and I have eaten them quite a few times.
They have a nice sour puckery taste.

amother
IndianRed

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:37 pm
They are delicious I always get them in TJ. Just wash them off if you want (I don’t)

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:43 pm
Amarante wrote:
Ok. I have seen yellow raspberries and I thought you were describing those.

Now that you describe them, they are actually that mysterious fruit in a canned fruit cocktail. I always thought they were grapes until I read the label 😂

Those aren't grapes?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 4:45 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Those aren't grapes?

Not the ones in the canned fruit cocktail from my youth. Was it Dole?

I remember being shocked when I read the label ingredients and they were gooseberries which I had never heard of at that point. It has been years since I have eaten canned fruit cocktail so they could have switched the fruits around.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:06 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not the ones in the canned fruit cocktail from my youth. Was it Dole?

I remember being shocked when I read the label ingredients and they were gooseberries which I had never heard of at that point. It has been years since I have eaten canned fruit cocktail so they could have switched the fruits around.

In my youth there was that canned fruit cocktail, tropical I think. I've googled, the Del Monte has grapes. Dole has white grape juice.

Those weren't grapes? I think I"m older than you, I ate it in college in the 80s.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:16 pm
We were once served at a simcha and no one new the bracha…
(Ha’etz)

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:18 pm
sky wrote:

Should be the same as blueberries. They grow on bushes.

I actually grew up with gooseberry bushes on our property. We loved them. I can't remember a time that I was ignorant of the mighty gooseberry.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:32 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
In my youth there was that canned fruit cocktail, tropical I think. I've googled, the Del Monte has grapes. Dole has white grape juice.

Those weren't grapes? I think I"m older than you, I ate it in college in the 80s.

I googled and there are references to gooseberries in canned fruit cocktail but latest ingredients don't have them.

I know they were in the cans because I remember being so shocked because I had assumed they were green peeled grapes

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
I googled and there are references to gooseberries in canned fruit cocktail but latest ingredients don't have them.

I know they were in the cans because I remember being so shocked because I had assumed they were green peeled grapes

Yikes.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 5:41 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Yikes.

From an article on gooseberries

If you think you have never seen or tasted a gooseberry, here's a test: Have you eaten fruit cocktail from a can or in a restaurant? That green fruit resembling a grape likely was a gooseberry. The berry's stripes are a dead giveaway.

mom4many

Post Mon, Jun 21 2021, 6:02 pm
sky wrote:
(Ha’etz)

Actually I have a golden berry bush growing in my garden and it is ha’adama. In Hebrew it’s called “duvdevan adama”. (Ground cherry)

We should just confirm that we’re talking about the exact same “fruit”...

I agree that you’d see right away if there’s a hole & a bug got into it.

iyar

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:52 pm
The berry that looks like an orange cherry tomato with a crinkly skin around it isn't really a gooseberry. It's a golden berry like mom4many said and the bracha, like she told us, is ha'adama. The gooseberries that amarante fondly remembers from fruit cocktail that look like grapes are similar to currants but they're much bigger. They're more common in Europe than in the US. I don't know what the bracha is.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:00 pm
The goldenberry or Cape Gooseberry plant is very similar to the tomatillo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen