Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fridge - specifically with Shabbos mode?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:53 am
Looking for advice because my current fridge is 15+ years old and on its last legs. We need to buy a fridge. Is it worth it to specifically get a fridge with a shabbos mode or a ge fridge that can connect to that zman device? Or is the magnet fix not a big deal.

Asking because I did a ton of research and my head is spinning with indecision. The salesperson at a highly recommended appliance store recommended a fridge that does not have a shabbos mode and said we could use a magnet. But I feel like for that amount of money, do I want something that I have to play around with? In a way, I'm attracted to the idea of the zman device that does everything for me.

Any input?

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:57 am
I'm in Israel where a lot of the appliances come with the shabbos mode. So that was not a big part of my decision. But I did a lot of research at the end I went with the LG with the fridge on top and the ice maker on the bottom. It's less than 6 months old so I can't really say on his longevity but I paid for it I think 7 more years for a full warranty. And I heard lots of good things about it. In order to switch it to Shabbos loaded is literally the touch of a button for about 5 seconds which I really like.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:52 am
I'm in Israel. I and all my friends who have bought new fridges in the past 2 years have the LG with shabbat mode. I love it. Everyone I know loves it. I like that the shabbat mode is built in and not something separate.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:32 am
I have the GE cafe series fridge. It has shabbos mode which I like very much including many other features. I probably don’t need all the features as I really don’t use many of them but I got this fridge at a discount and I really do like it very much.
There’s also the GE profile which is highly recommended but with less features than the cafe series.
Which fridge did the appliance store recommend?

SwissAlps

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:34 am
We use a magnet for our fridge. You might have to play around a bit to figure out where to put the magnet and the magnet needs to be strong enough, but other than that it works well for us.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:38 am
I think most, if not all, GE fridges attach to the shabbos keeper, I'm assuming that's what you were talking about. I have that. The great part is, you set it once, and you never have to think about it again. I don't have to remember to turn off my fridge before shabbos or yomtov. It does it itself. I highly recommend

mom!

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:33 am
Get.A.Shabbos.Mode.
Theoretically, magnets are no biggie. But my two year old loves playing with the fridge doors, slamming them shut 15 times in a row and guess what. The magents (even though they were taped down) shifted. Take it from me, Shabbos mode is hassle free and you’ll never have issues.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:58 am
I would definitely go with the built-in ge model that has an automatic shabbos mode. My mother has it and it's amazing! It has lights that stay on all shabbos, dimmer than regular. Never have to worry about forgetting to put it on shabbos mode or whatever else gets done. I have forgotten my shabbos velcros just 3 times in 5 years, but each time is a huge hassle to go find a non-jew and get them to understand what has to be done.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:02 am
Just don’t leave it on Shabbos mode all the time

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:45 am
mom! wrote:
Get.A.Shabbos.Mode.
Theoretically, magnets are no biggie. But my two year old loves playing with the fridge doors, slamming them shut 15 times in a row and guess what. The magents (even though they were taped down) shifted. Take it from me, Shabbos mode is hassle free and you’ll never have issues.

My kids are forever opening and slamming the fridge door. Good point LOL

I appreciate everyone's input.

SwissAlps

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:09 am
I guess it depends on the fridge. The magnet on my fridge goes on top of the fridge. It will not move even if slammed shut.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:56 am
The GE fridge with the ZmanTech Shabbos Keeper is a gamechanger because you don't have to set it every week. It's automatic.

I own a GE Profile fridge with the Shabbos Keeper and recommend GE fridges to frum kitchen design clients because of it.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:58 am
We use a Velcro on ours (cheaper model)

We were told once you forget you’ll never forget again.
We’ve already forgotten 4 times in 3 months. And my toddler likes to remove it. (BH for neighbors that make late Shabbos)

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:02 am
I do have to set my computerized fridge to shabbos mode. I had the fridge for over a year and BH it was always done. It’s a fear I have that I’ll forget but I have an alarm set for 3pm every Friday afternoon as a reminder. I usually did it before the alarm rings since I have this fear that I might forget... but I set my oven to shabbos mode before I light so why would I forget the fridge?

shanie5

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:50 pm
Love love love the shabbos keeper! Never have to remember about magnets, velcro, turning off bulb, etc.. For any shabbos or yontif!

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 4:09 pm
CYLOR. Or better yet, purchase your appliance from a frum distributor.

AIUI, Shabbat mode is absolutely necessary for most modern refrigerators because of a change in technology as to compressors turning on and off. I don't recall the exact issue, unfortunately; perhaps something to do with the number of times the door is opened. There are a very small number of smaller-sized refrigerators using the old technology, where Shabbat mode is not required. Otherwise, however, a magnet turning off the light is not sufficient.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:

AIUI, Shabbat mode is absolutely necessary for most modern refrigerators because of a change in technology as to compressors turning on and off. I don't recall the exact issue, unfortunately; perhaps something to do with the number of times the door is opened. There are a very small number of smaller-sized refrigerators using the old technology, where Shabbat mode is not required. Otherwise, however, a magnet turning off the light is not sufficient.

Right- it’s about activating the motor/fan to turn on. People think as long as the light is taped it’s fine. Not anymore .

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 4:23 pm
The Shabbos Keeper is AMAZING! If I were purchasing a fridge that would be my number 1 criteria - Shabbos Keeper compatible.

SwissAlps

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:

As far as I know and based on what I see, the magnet tricks the refrigerator that it seems as if the door is shut. So no changes to anything in the fridge. That is why we don't keep it on the fridge the entire time during the week.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 6:04 pm
Need to buy new fridge but don't want to be limited by sabbath mode models.Do magnets work on all freezers? Can I just buy any and use a magnet. Is Shabbos keeper compatible the same as Sabbath Mode? Best appliance store in Brooklyn or that delivers to Brooklyn?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen