Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
11 yr old DS suddenly fearful of the weather

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:09 am
My son was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago.
He is on Adderall which he takes most days.
He has become very afraid of the weather when its windy or raining. He is very afraid of a hurricane.
Last night we had a tornado warning and he got so afraid I have never seen before the fear in his eyes he was petrified.
Could it be the medication or something else.
Should I take him to see someone?
I am at a loss.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:13 am
I don’t know if adhd meds could cause this. But if it’s not the medication, then the combination of adhd plus new irrational phobias would make me strongly suspect pandas or pans.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:16 am
Weather is a normal phobia. How did he know about the tornado?

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:23 am
My kids' weather phobias are related to specific things that happened, or stories they have been told. It could even be a video seen. You haven't told us his age, unless I missed it- that can factor in too.

That being said, stimulants can increase agitation. Sometimes it's temporary, sometimes not. Have you guys done a dosage adjustment lately? Have you seen any other increased agitation? It's worth a conversation with your doctor.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:37 am
Definitely discuss it with your doctor as a possible side effect. We had a lot of mood changes with Adderall
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)