Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling on vacation with 8 month old baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:20 pm
We are thinking of going on vacation to Eretz Yisroel or Switzerland for a week this summer (we are vaccinated). However I have a 8 month old baby and I cant think of leaving him behind! ( leave him my mom would babysit, and I am not nursing, but still..) Has anyone done either trip with a baby? ( I understand we wont be able to do many activities if we take him along, but I want to know if it is double otherwise? Or you felt it wasn't worth it in the end?

Please don't suggest to take the vacation when she is older, for various reasons I can go now but I am unsure if will be go able to go later on this year and we both need to get away urgently.

Thank you for replies!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 12:57 pm
We travel With babies often. By the time my girl was 4 she had been to Israel, Italy, Spain and Greece 2x. In addition to domestic travel. I’d argue in some ways 8 months is easier than 18 months when they’re mobile and need more engagement. What specific questions do you have about travel with a baby?

jingle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:11 pm
How does the flight go, how do you keep a baby occupied for that many hours? Do you feel that the vacation is restful and rejuvenating even with the baby? Any tips? How do you go on day trips with baby along? Doesnt it get too much for baby (and parents)? Do you take a baby carrier?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 1:21 pm
No it’s not a vacation in anyway shape or form. It’s just a getaway. It’s a change of scenery. It a lot of packing and a lot of schlepping. But we like travel so it’s worth it for us. Yes I use a baby carrier for flights with non walking babies. Flights aren’t easy but you’ll pass her between. You and your husband and she’ll nap and eat and before you know it it’ll be over. Be forewarned infant jet lag is brutal. Absolutely brutal. I don’t know what it means ‘too much’ for baby but my babies are curious and I feel watching the world and experiencing travel even at a young age is good for them. Day trips: we just do. My babies were on Italian trains and Greek busses and Israeli taxis as infants. At that age you don’t need kid centered activities: anything you enjoy they can do with you. Obviously not mountain biking or sky diving but within reason

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:11 pm
We`ve done Austrian Alps and Eretz Yisroel with babies. Alps were beautiful and enjoyable with baby. Had in carrier most of the hikes. In Ey we did feel a little limited bc of the heat and we had to forgo the dead sea trip and extreme water sports bc of turn taking watching baby, but if your going more relaxed it might be easier.

It would be hard for me to leave such an age baby behind- but I still fantasy of going on vacation once with hubs alone.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:15 pm
I’ve done both those countries with a baby, but had someone offered to watch him I would’ve definitely left him behind Wink

The flight is ok, provided you have a bassinet.

Activities will be more relaxed and less adventurous obviously.

Still enjoyable, but not a honeymoon.

Last edited by SuperWify on Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:16 pm
If you go to Israel, you can find a sitter to leave the baby with for the day.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:20 pm
If you readjust your expectation that it's a getaway or experience or change of scenery vs vacation, I think its doable. We went to EY with a 13 month old. We've been away a few times, we made memories and had experiences, we have not vacationed... I would not describe it as restful, not at all, but experiencing different things, such as food or scenery or weather can definitely be rejuvenating. It's a change from the daily grind. I took a baby carrier, it was a lot easier for me to use before the baby turned one than after.. my tips are to have the right expectations. Be realistic. Plan your trips around your baby, too. Of you don't- yes it'll be too much for everyone involved. You can expect a child to just fit into your schedule, you have to fit the baby in, too. I didn't feel comfortable leaving baby alone.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:30 pm
OP< were also going to e"y next month and our baby will be 6 months! following this thread for ideas!!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
OP< were also going to e"y next month and our baby will be 6 months! following this thread for ideas!!

I found that the younger the baby the easier the trip. The plane just lulls them to sleep. Once they start crawling about though….

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:40 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I found that the younger the baby the easier the trip. The plane just lulls them to sleep. Once they start crawling about though….

im nervous about how many bottles to pack, if I can bring 9 cans of formula in my suitcase (enfami gentlease), what to do if her ears are hurting her... etc

ggdm

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:42 pm
I took my 7MO to Israel. It is a good time for vacation with a baby! Old enough to have a schedule and a bit more robust. But still young enough to not really need kiddy activities.

We only flew from Europe. I think the baby slept for most of it. Most airlines will heat up baby food for you. You can take liquids and everything you need for the baby with you. The crew was nice and we even got toys. It is much better with a cute baby than later with a tantrumming toddler!

We did less tours than we would have alone. We planned more breaks and overall more relaxed time. Which is actually nice. We took an appartement instead of a hotel to be able to make our own food at our own time. Best choice ever. We still ate out often.

We took only the baby carrier and were fine with it. Airlines will usually let you take a stroller that folds. You can even take it to the gate and get it back right after leaving the plane. If you plan a city vacation with one place to stay, why not take it if you usually use it at home (I carry my babies a lot anyway).

Go for it!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
im nervous about how many bottles to pack, if I can bring 9 cans of formula in my suitcase (enfami gentlease), what to do if her ears are hurting her... etc

You’re going To have to wash bottles on the flight. Yes formula, wipes are both heavy and diapers are not but take up a lot of space. Plus babies go through so much laundry with blowouts and spit up. Make sure you pack a change of clothes for yourself as well

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:54 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:

2 bottles in your diaper bag. Plus 3 changes of clothes. One can of formula.

A few more bottles and cans of formula in your suitcase.

Give her a paci to suck during takeoff and her ears will be fine.

cuffs

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:57 pm
You can’t use the word vacation if you’re bringing a baby. My suggestion is make the trip shorter and leave the baby behind.

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:25 pm
I know someone that was in your position didn’t wanna leave the baby but also wanted to have alone time with her husband they found a chabad house had a babysitter who they interviewed over the phone they were able to leave the baby with the babysitter for day trips
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics