Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Sesame Bagel *Breakfast* Casserole

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:44 am
Despite its name, I served this for dinner - same type of ingredients as a pizza - bread and cheese. This version is relatively healthy albeit rich since it does have kale, mushrooms and tomatoes.

I couldn't locate the oil packed Calabrian chilies so I improvised by using the jarred pepper/pimentos as they would have the same texture and I added some sriracha for heat - any kind of hot flavoring would work

The casserole needs to be prepared in advance so that the bread incorporates the liquid and it then results in a lovely gooey mess. LOL It is an excellent use for bagels that are left over

It feeds a lot of people so it is a good dish for hosting and if you ever do a Sunday brunch or other meal when you can bake it is an excellent brunch/lunch type of dish.

Sesame Bagel Breakfast Casserole

Excerpt From: The Editors of Food & Wine - FOOD & WINE Best Potluck Recipes.

Active 45 min
Total 6 hr 30 min
Makes 8 to 10 servings

2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for greasing
10 large eggs
2½ cups half-and-half
6 oil-packed Calabrian chiles—drained, seeded and minced
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 lb. day-old sesame bagels (3 large), cut into 1-inch pieces (9 cups)
10 oz. button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
1 small bunch of curly kale, stemmed and chopped (5 cups)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
¼ cup finely chopped basil leaves
2 Tbsp. minced rosemary
2 scallions, thinly sliced
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 oz.)

1. Lightly grease a 3-quart oval baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the half-and-half, chiles, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in the bagel pieces and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and wilted, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cherry tomatoes, basil and rosemary and cook until the tomatoes start to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the scallions; season with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly.

3. Fold the vegetables and shredded cheeses into the bagel mixture, then transfer to the prepared baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. Preheat the oven to 350°. Remove the plastic wrap and cover the baking pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 45 minutes longer, or until the top is puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. —Anna Painter

MAKE AHEAD The casserole can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight.

dveikus

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 9:57 am
This sounds amazing. Thanks for posting it! Would it be too spicy for kids? (If so I could eliminate the chiles.)

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 10:00 am
dveikus wrote:
This sounds amazing. Thanks for posting it! Would it be too spicy for kids? (If so I could eliminate the chiles.)

Not the way I made it. I didn't make it with the Calabrian Chilies because I couldn't find a kosher version - if it exists maybe someone can point me to it.

The peppers packed in oil have no heat at all - they are like pimentos and I think they are just red peppers. I added a little bit of Srichcha sauce but you can substitute red pepper or a bit of hot sauce. I didn't add much - maybe a teaspoon or so but you can certainly add and see. I think a small amount of heat just adds to the flavor like adding black pepper. Many spaghetti sauces have a tiny bit of hot sauce.

There is a lot of mild dairy ingredients plus all the vegetables so any heat would really not be noticeable and only perks up the flavors. It wouldn't result in a spicy dish that kids would balk at.

I think this would be very appealing to kids - and they would not focus on the veggies they are eating. LOL

dveikus

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:33 am
Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals