Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Summer expenses $$$$$$$$$$
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:20 pm
Wow, just wow!!
I just calculated how much our summer expenses are and I'm 😲.
Sending 4 kids to day camp in Brooklyn and one of those 4 is going to sleep away camp for one half.
We are not going upstate, not traveling.

Total cost : around $7,600
This does not include tips
We bh get a tuition break during the year, but daycamps and camps don't give a discount.

How much does summer cost you?

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:24 pm
Out of control!
My husband and I have jobs upstate. Kids in day camp. Food is more expensive , it has to get here, I get it. Snacks. Clothing. Day camp is more expensive. My y girls are begging me for floafers. I can’t afford those. They are complaining their clothing is not nice enough. I simply don’t know what to do.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:27 pm
2 Elementary aged boys are $435 each for the camp portion of summer school (3 weeks) and $760 each for day camp (4 weeks)

My 4 year old is going to one month of back yard camp @ 95 a week for 4 weeks is 380

I dont send a baby or toddler.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:28 pm
My two older kids go to sleep away camp for $12000, and that doesn’t include getting them to and from (flights, the abundance of clothes, shoes , stuff and tips) . My little ones go to day camp for between 2-3 K each. So in total I spend between 20-25 k not including any trips we take as a family .

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:32 pm
2 kids large day camps. 3k
1 kid backyard camp. 700

Baby is with me so no babysitter

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, just wow!!
I just calculated how much our summer expenses are and I'm 😲.
Sending 4 kids to day camp in Brooklyn and one of those 4 is going to sleep away camp for one half.
We are not going upstate, not traveling.

Total cost : around $7,600
This does not include tips
We bh get a tuition break during the year, but daycamps and camps don't give a discount.

How much does summer cost you?

Sounds like a bargain to me. I’m paying 3k for camp for 1!’

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:35 pm
Yep !
Didn’t calculate exactly ….
2 kids sleepaway I think about 8k ( not including clothing , and all extras needed )
1 day camp I think it was 1,700
Baby home
Plus this doesn’t cover the whole summer
Kids are going away for 5.5 weeks
Will still spend $ on either small getaway or extra entertainment after

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:36 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
My two older kids go to sleep away camp for $12000, and that doesn’t include getting them to and from (flights, the abundance of clothes, shoes , stuff and tips) . My little ones go to day camp for between 2-3 K each. So in total I spend between 20-25 k not including any trips we take as a family .

That’s really a lot of $$$

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:40 pm
Because I am off during the summer. I work in the camp my kids go to. My tips go to pay for their tips. It's depressing. 2 want to go to sleepaway camp but we can't afford it. I desperately need a break but then we could no way afford day camp.
I so look forward to the day I can get an actual break. I wouldn't even mind working 1 half or a specialty...but being a Morah 8:30am to 4:30pm every day is beyond draining. I do a great job when I am there but feel like I just have no koach to be a together mom when we get home. That is prob the most depressing part.
I want to enjoy my kids!!

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:49 pm
4 kids in Lakewood
2 going to sleep away- $6250
2 going to daycamp- $2000

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 2:55 pm
Two kids going to sleep away camp- approximately $11,000 without other expenses like clothing, luggage, transportation, canteen…..
One going to day camp, don’t know the cost
Looking for day camp for the 4th one

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:34 pm
Around $2200 for 2 kids day camp in Brooklyn. (This is the price without a discount, but these camps do work with you if you need a scholarship though.)

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:38 pm
2 kids in day camp: $3,200
1 in part time daycare: $1,200

Plus tips, swimming lessons, and Sunday day trips.

Probably spending about $5,500 total.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
Around $2200 for 2 kids day camp in Brooklyn. (This is the price without a discount, but these camps do work with you if you need a scholarship though.)

Which brooklyn day camps give scholarhships??

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:39 pm
2 kids in day camp: under 3k total

Older ones have aged out of me having to pay for anything b"h, though I have to cover transportation expenses for my college aged daughter to and from her unpaid internship (requirement for her degree)

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:40 pm
I’m paying 2500 for my toddler to go for 6 weeks of camp. That already a lot for us not sure what I’ll do next year when I have two kids in camp

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Cognac ] wrote:
Because I am off during the summer. I work in the camp my kids go to. My tips go to pay for their tips. It's depressing. 2 want to go to sleepaway camp but we can't afford it. I desperately need a break but then we could no way afford day camp.
I so look forward to the day I can get an actual break. I wouldn't even mind working 1 half or a specialty...but being a Morah 8:30am to 4:30pm every day is beyond draining. I do a great job when I am there but feel like I just have no koach to be a together mom when we get home. That is prob the most depressing part.
I want to enjoy my kids!!

It's really hard. I work all summer also. There was one summer I was on maternity leave and even though I wasn't sleeping it was the most beautiful summer of my life. I spent all day cuddling my yummy baby while the older ones went to camp.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
Which brooklyn day camps give scholarhships??

Crown Heights school's day camp

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:49 pm
Oldest is is going to sleep away camp for one half - about $2000 plus additional things needed

Second is going to special Ed day camp for $6000

Third is going to regular day camp for $1000

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 4:05 pm
Gosh I don't know how you all do it!

We're in the uk, our holidays are much shorter. We're going away for 10 days which is costing us $1,600 that's without trips, fuel etc. Then the rest of the summer will be day trips to parks or having friends over. Hopefully nothing too expensive. My dh is working throughout besides for when we're away (he will still 'work' but way less and obviously not all day at the office)

It's tough having to entertain them on my own but we can't afford day camp and going away. My kids are in school all year round, this way it's nice family time but even 4.5/5 weeks of it gets too much!

I only work term time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics