Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sunscreen
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:19 pm
If you like to let your toddler play outside every day, does that mean sunblock and a bath every day?

Probably yes but I hated that as a kid and I'm dreading starting it again.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:20 pm
IMO a toddler needs to be bathed daily in the summer

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:24 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
IMO a toddler needs to be bathed daily in the summer

My toddler is in an "I hate baths" stage. Sad

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My oldest did too. But they can get just as sticky and stinky as an older kid so....

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:41 pm
Do what works for you. Your emotional health matters too. I’m not gonna say how often my mother bathed us as kids and how often my toddler gets bathed. She’s also in the “I hate bath” stage

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 3:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Would she/he prefer a shower? I know a lot of people don't do showers for toddlers but for me, especially in the summers where everyone needs a shower/bath every day, it's so much quicker and it's just the way to go.

Alternatively, take your toddler to the store to pick out some bath toys to make the bath more fun.

lucky14

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:43 pm
Yes we do sunscreen (and bug spray- though I hate using all those chemicals but we have tics and so so many mosquitos in our area....). My toddler doesn't mind bathing but applying sunscreen every few hours to her and my older one is SUCH a chore. I still do it anyway....

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:35 am
Spray sunscreen and sink or hose baths most days for my toddler!

Window

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:47 am
lucky14 wrote:
Yes we do sunscreen (and bug spray- though I hate using all those chemicals but we have tics and so so many mosquitos in our area....). My toddler doesn't mind bathing but applying sunscreen every few hours to her and my older one is SUCH a chore. I still do it anyway....

Have you tried applying sunscreen with a makeup brush?

abmom2

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:49 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:

No way! Never thought to do that! What kind of makeup brush? Would a sponge work?

lucky14

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:55 am
qwertyqwerty wrote:

Never thought to do that. I should try it.

lucky14

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:56 am
abmom2 wrote:
No way! Never thought to do that! What kind of makeup brush? Would a sponge work?

OOOH I like the sponge idea even more. Anyone ever tried this?

newyorkmom

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:30 am
Sunscreen sticks make it easier to apply.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:55 am
Sunblock every day, of course!
I don't bathe my kids every day, unless they get especially dirty/smelly. But as far as I'm concerned, splashing around in a little inflatable pool on summer days is as good as a bath (with waterproof sunscreen, of course. What does sunscreen have to do with baths?)

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:11 am
I only do sunblock at the beach, or if there's some sort of water play. Maybe we're out in the later hours, or just not very long at a time, but I don't find it necessary.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:13 am
lucky14 wrote:
OOOH I like the sponge idea even more. Anyone ever tried this?

I use the spray (I get the kind with added minerals for full protection). Spray all over and let the toddler rub it in. She finds it exciting enough and I figure the spray gives enough coverage if she doesn't do a good job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 11:14 am
Teomima wrote:
Sunblock every day, of course!
I don't bathe my kids every day, unless they get especially dirty/smelly. But as far as I'm concerned, splashing around in a little inflatable pool on summer days is as good as a bath (with waterproof sunscreen, of course. What does sunscreen have to do with baths?)

My mom always said we needed a bath if we were wearing sunblock

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My mom always said we needed a bath if we were wearing sunblock

So, what, if you're not giving your kid a bath you're not going to put sunscreen on them?

Skin cancer is one of the most easily preventable cancers. A dirty kid is a dirty kid. But sunscreen can literally save your life.

Oldest

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:45 pm
Sunscreen- try a spray sunscreen. Not as good as a lotion type but easier to put on an active toddler.
Baths- my toddler also went through such a stage, I bought bubble bath and he is now so excited to take a bath each night Smile

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 1:04 pm
Sunscreen is non debatable - 100% must use you can buy a stick or spray to make it quicker and easier.

Baths is debatable. Personally when my kids are outside in the summer almost every day and they also go in the pool in day camp, I’ll give them a super quick shower rinse every night (usually they don’t have a shower every single night). For younger kids if I don’t have energy and they’re not particularly dirty I just wash their hands, face and neck in a sink filled with soap and water. Sometiems their feet too just depends on how willing they are and how tired I am.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics