Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler Using a Walker/Starting to Walk

Did your child use a walker (or push anything as a walking aid) and when did he/she start walking on his/her own?
Yes, before 15 months  
 47%  [ 35 ]
Yes, between 15 and 20 months  
 9%  [ 7 ]
Yes, after 20 months  
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, before 15 months  
 20%  [ 15 ]
No, between 15 and 20 months  
 10%  [ 8 ]
No, after 20 months  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Other (please explain)  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 73

AllThings

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:42 pm
Recently I've been hearing from mothers that their toddlers started walking 'late' and thought it may have been because they were using a baby walker at that stage. Wondering if y'all are finding this to be the case? (referring to children who are considered developmentally typical, not delayed...)

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 5:50 pm
Mine Walked at 15 months. Most consider that late. Her ped was not worried and her dad didn’t start till that age either. Never used a walker.

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:10 pm
Didn 't use a walker, but maybe pushed a chair or a toy...

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:35 pm
I voted yes, 15-20. my dd was 15months old when she started walking, although she walked with a walker since she was abt 9 months old

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 6:54 pm
All my kids walked at around 16/17 months. Only one used walker. My kids have tiny feet and I feel that plays more of a part than a walker. I find kids with bigger feet walk earlier.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:39 pm
AllThings wrote:
Recently I've been hearing from mothers that their toddlers started walking 'late' and thought it may have been because they were using a baby walker at that stage. Wondering if y'all are finding this to be the case? (referring to children who are considered developmentally typical, not delayed...)

No, not in the least bit. I used a walker for all my kids, and they all walked before 12 months.

fbc

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:45 pm
Our daughter (5yo) took her first many steps the day before she turned one. And hasn't stopped jumping around since then BH!

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:48 pm
Am I the only one who doesn't remember exactly what age my toddler started walking? I know it was after 12 months but do not know if it was before or after 15 months. And she isn't even 2 yet. I feel like everyone remembers these numbers except me.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 2:11 pm
my son our first child used a walker he started to walk at 11 months

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:28 pm
One of my children would push objects around. Sometimes she would fall forward or backwards. It was sometimes dangerous. Sometimes object that had wheels on it. Buying her a Walker was safer than all that. She was a late walker. But that was because she had a fear of letting go. Other siblings used the walker earlier. Walked between 11-13 months

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 8:42 pm
I didn’t vote because my response would skew the results. My baby started walking just after 20 months and he started pushing a walker (or a doll carriage or any toy about chest high) just within a couple weeks before he started walking in his own.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:08 pm
I’m a PT. Using a push toy is a good way to facilitate learning to walk.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 9:10 pm
Most of my children did not use a walker and started walking around 20+ months.
One child used a walker and walked at 9 months. Another used a walker and walked around 15 months.
I think babies that are on the floor walk earlier but genetics does play a part here.

blessedflower

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 2:32 am
Voted other.
I prefer to let my kids learn by themself without help of a walker. My dd was able to walk but she wouldn't, I think she was scared so I gave her a walker and after a few days she was running around, without it.
I wouldn't use it lechatchila

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:29 am
One of my kids pushed everything around that moved, although we didn’t have an actual walker, and started walking at 12 months. The other wasn’t as into the pushing/walking thing and walked at 14 months.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 8:43 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Mine Walked at 15 months. Most consider that late. Her ped was not worried and her dad didn’t start till that age either. Never used a walker.

Omg 15 months walking is very very average!!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 8:43 am
My kid walked at 25 months Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics