Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What kid of nosh to send?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:00 pm
My oldest (12) is going to sleep over camp this summer and I was told most boys bring a plastic bin for under the bed with some food/ nosh. Any ideas of what I should send? Obviously nosh that he likes but is there anything else I'm not thinking of that the boys enjoy.

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:02 pm
you;re nor suppised to store food under a bed

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:12 pm
I send cereal crackers soup croutons and tradition soups as well
As the nosh that he picks out

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 7:15 pm
Thank you amother firethorn. Do you have an answer to my question?

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:22 pm
From my camp days, besides for nosh and chips we all brought, some other items were:
Instant Noodle soups, canned pickles, baby corn, hearts of palm, tuna and shelf stable Mayo that we ate with crackers, pringles pringles and lots more pringles, chocolate, pretzels.
The rest is a matter of taste and what the norm by his friends are.

Java

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 8:24 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
From my camp days, besides for nosh and chips we all brought, some other items were:
Instant Noodle soups, canned pickles, baby corn, hearts of palm, tuna and shelf stable Mayo that we ate with crackers, pringles pringles and lots more pringles, chocolate, pretzels.
The rest is a matter of taste and what the norm by his friends are.

Pretty accurate Smile
As far as the noodle soups, depends whether he'll have access to hot water.
A case of water bottles (or order from the camp)
Any special drinks he likes- gatorade vitamin water etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 22 2021, 11:28 pm
Thank you all!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:46 am
Throw in some plastic bags that he can use for anything that isn't finished in one sitting. Even though the plastic crate is supposed to keep critters out, its an extra layer of protection, plus freshness.

For the same reason, spend the extra money for single-serving sizes.

Not nosh, but I recommend sending at least 1/2 dozen toothbrushes. The floors are disgusting, and my kids considered them trash if they fell.

SYA

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:11 am
Crackers, rice cakes, cereal - all in a large ziplock as one opened the crumbs go everywhere and attract bigs, critters...
Granola bars, instant soup, danishes like beigels that are vaccine packed and last longer
If getting tuna - get the bag and not the can so no can opener needed. Nothing that needs to be refrigerated or frozen.

Sugar free gum and Dramamine for those who get motion sickness.

Lovable

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you amother firethorn. Do you have an answer to my question?

Im not sure if you are being sarcastic, but amother firethorn is actually right. My friend in camp mistakenly stored her nosh box under her bed one night and had to dump all its contents

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:24 am
SYA wrote:
Crackers, rice cakes, cereal - all in a large ziplock as one opened the crumbs go everywhere and attract bigs, critters...
Granola bars, instant soup, danishes like beigels that are vaccine packed and last longer
If getting tuna - get the bag and not the can so no can opener needed. Nothing that needs to be refrigerated or frozen.

Sugar free gum and Dramamine for those who get motion sickness.

Only in 2021 would autocorrect change vacuum to vaccine! LOL

For my picky eaters, I send rice cakes, cereal, etc. because otherwise they will be hungry. My son is leaving for camp today and I only got him a few bags of candy, pringles and a container of soup nuts for Shabbos. He will actually eat the camp food during meals so only needs a bit of nosh to be social in the bunkhouse, but does not need real food. No need to go overboard and I put the food in his duffel (not a huge plastic container).

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:27 am
Lovable wrote:
Im not sure if you are being sarcastic, but amother firethorn is actually right. My friend in camp mistakenly stored her nosh box under her bed one night and had to dump all its contents

I second this. We asked a sheila after my daughter found out on the second day of camp it was assur and were told the stuff did not have to be dumped, but we should not store under the bed anymore.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 12:57 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
you;re nor suppised to store food under a bed

I know this is an old thread (that just happened to come up in something I was searching for) but can someone explain, please? I thought perhaps it was bug/rodent related, but looking down thread it seems that's not what this is about.

climbing613

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 2:33 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
I know this is an old thread (that just happened to come up in something I was searching for) but can someone explain, please? I thought perhaps it was bug/rodent related, but looking down thread it seems that's not what this is about.

Has to do with sleeping on top of food. It takes in the tuma from sleeping. Like touch food before negel vasser.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:43 am
climbing613 wrote:
Has to do with sleeping on top of food. It takes in the tuma from sleeping. Like touch food before negel vasser.

Not everyone holds this way. Some people hold that you shouldn't store anything under a bed, some people hold that food shouldn't be under a bed. If it's a relevant concern, you can ask your Rav if this is something you need to be concerned about.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:16 am
climbing613 wrote:

Ty.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 12:20 am
Elfrida wrote:
Not everyone holds this way. Some people hold that you shouldn't store anything under a bed, some people hold that food shouldn't be under a bed. If it's a relevant concern, you can ask your Rav if this is something you need to be concerned about.

Not concerned. Can't think of any time I stored food under my bed. Just interesting to me that under the bed becomes tuma. What about on the night table? Say I left a half eaten bag of nosh. It's in just as close proximity to me as under the bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children