Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Amichai

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:16 am
I love the meaning and we live in Israel and plan on staying. Is there any reason not give this name? How common is it?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:25 am
It was super common in my DL olim circles 8-10 years ago. I don't know anyone who has used it in the last 5 years. It has been usurped by Ori and Noam.

What about similar less common names: Amiad, Amitzur, Amikam (love this one)

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:27 am
I know two baby Amichais... Both are children of olim. It's a name that doesn't seem to go out of style, and everyone that I know whom has the name has a big heart.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:40 am
Is it mostly used by children of Olim?

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 10:41 am
It's my father's name and yes he was born in Israel right after his parents moved there from America.
He later moved back to the US and finds it is very uncommon here.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
It was super common in my DL olim circles 8-10 years ago. I don't know anyone who has used it in the last 5 years. It has been usurped by Ori and Noam.

What about similar less common names: Amiad, Amitzur, Amikam (love this one)

And Amior, Amiram, Amitai (biblical), Amiel(also bibilcal)

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know a Moroccan Amichai in his 40s, but then again -- his parents were probably olim too!

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 23 2021, 7:15 pm
It's such a beautiful name. I love the meaning.

salt

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 3:33 am
etky wrote:
And Amior, Amiram, Amitai (biblical), Amiel(also bibilcal)

Note Amitai is different - starts with an א - root probably אמת

All the others come from the word עם

They just all sound similar in English.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 3:39 am
I know several Amichais. Some are children of olim, some are not. It's a nice name. If you like it, go for it. B'shaa tovah.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:19 am
It's a very nice name. I know a few, all Israeli. It's not as popular in the last few years, but certainly not a name that anyone will think of as outdated or anything.

Two things - first of all, in Israel, it can be pronounced two different ways. Decide how you want it pronounced and try to force everyone to pronounce it that way the first few years. Ultimately the kids' friends will do as they please though.

Second - it is a bit of 'migzar' name as they say. In other words, it belongs to a certain sector, mainly dati leumi or mesorati. There are of course secular Amichais and charedi ones ( I believe Rav Shmuel Eliyahu's son is Amichai). But in general, most Amichais are dati leumi or mesorati.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:47 am
It won't stick out, but it is a bit dated. It was more popular 20-30 years ago.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No. It’s a classic.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:57 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
It's a very nice name. I know a few, all Israeli. It's not as popular in the last few years, but certainly not a name that anyone will think of as outdated or anything.

Two things - first of all, in Israel, it can be pronounced two different ways. Decide how you want it pronounced and try to force everyone to pronounce it that way the first few years. Ultimately the kids' friends will do as they please though.

Second - it is a bit of 'migzar' name as they say. In other words, it belongs to a certain sector, mainly dati leumi or mesorati. There are of course secular Amichais and charedi ones ( I believe Rav Shmuel Eliyahu's son is Amichai). But in general, most Amichais are dati leumi or mesorati.

Rav Shmuel Eliyahu and certainly his son Rav Amichai Eliyahu are DL torani. They are not chareidim at all - just pointing this out sociologically, I don’t think it’s a common name in chareidi society at all.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:59 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Rav Shmuel Eliyahu and certainly his son Rav Amichai Eliyahu are DL torani. They are not chareidim at all - just pointing this out sociologically, I don’t think it’s a common name in chareidi society at all.

I would call them chardal, bordering on charedi.
Rav Shmuel Eliyahu certainly dresses like a charedi, and I believe his son does too.

But you are right that they aren't regular charedi. They just aren't what I would call regular torani either - they are somewhere in the gap between charedi and torani.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 7:12 am
Beautiful name
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names