Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Person who checks car seat installation?
1  2  Next

Would/did you get your car seat installation(s) checked by a professional?
Yes  
 32%  [ 23 ]
No  
 47%  [ 33 ]
Don’t know what you’re talking about  
 20%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 70

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 2:30 am
I recently heard that people get their car seat installation checked by a professional. I’ve never heard of this in my life and of course once I looked into it I started freaking out that maybe I should’ve also.
Do you?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 2:33 am
I plan to, from a friend. You also might know someone who's certified in this. A lot of moms who are very interested in child safety, get certified.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 2:47 am
Yes, I had a professional teach me how to install my car seats and check that it’s done correctly. I am very careful about car seat safety.

GetReal

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 3:00 am
Yes. I learned a lot!

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 4:26 am
Yes, when we need to move the car seats around (rear facing to front or to a different seat/car) I get a professional to do it. Mine were installed so incorrectly before, I feel so much safer now!

I don’t know about everywhere but in NY pre-pandemic, they had a program that did it for free. It was put on hold the last year- I wonder if it started up again. When I cleaned my car this last Pesach I paid someone to reinstall.

ETA- It looks like NYC is still not doing it in person. They are offering virtual but I don’t see how that can be super effective.
“While in-person car seat inspections are currently suspended due to COVID-19, the Office of Safety Education and Outreach offers virtual car seat checks with our trained car seat technicians. Please call (212) 839-4750 for more information.”

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 6:30 am
I don’t know about now, but at least before COVID in NJ there was a schedule of certain days you could go to a state police station and they’d check installation. Whenever we move things around with our three kids car seat placements I go there and they just move them all for me. They’re very nice

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 7:05 am
The local police do it.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 7:07 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
The local police do it.

Same, where I live you go to your local police station to get it checked. It doesn't take long.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 8:18 am
I get it installed before going to give birth, this way I’m not trying to figure it out 2.5 days after birth on the way home with a tiny baby.

Most baby stores, fire and police stations can do it for you.

mommy12

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 8:21 am
Our local police and our pediatrician's office do it. We always did it with the local police.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 11:17 am
A professional told me that police and fire stations aren’t good people to do it since they aren’t active in it and I guess don’t know it so well
So I guess everyone pays for this?
When I fly I take the car seat out of the base and use the buckle in the car that we use when we arrive. Isn’t that fine?

Frumme

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A professional told me that police and fire stations aren’t good people to do it since they aren’t active in it and I guess don’t know it so well
So I guess everyone pays for this?
When I fly I take the car seat out of the base and use the buckle in the car that we use when we arrive. Isn’t that fine?

Please don't be scammed into paying for this service. "Professionals" will ask for $100 to check your car seat(s). Most people who are certified take one 4-day course in it. The person you spoke to probably wanted to dissuade you from going to a fire or police department since they want your business.

Many hospitals do it for free as well; this is probably your best bet!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 12:38 pm
I did not. I don't feel it is necessary. Most car seats are pretty simple to install and if you're nervous, look around online for ways to make sure it is secure.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 12:52 pm
Yes, it’s very easy to get it checked. My local police station has every other weekend for a few hours where you can go for free, the whole thing took about 5 minutes. There’s a NY gov website I used to find mine, but if you post location we can help find you somewhere

We followed the instructions exactly but still turned out it wasn’t installed correctly. The technician said only about 5% of people actually have it in correctly. We want our kids to be safe so I think it’s very worth it to take the little time out of your day make sure it’s right.

*If in NY: https://trafficsafety.ny.gov/c.....tions

Filter by county*

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:24 pm
When I paid to have mine installed I paid 20$ each for a total of 40$. He showed me how he was doing it step by step so I’d be able to do it on my own in the future. Obviously if the city has a free program with certified people, do that. But I think every person should have theirs done professionally.

Optione

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:38 pm
I clicked yes but really it was only when I needed to install the car seat myself and I felt like the angle was odd. There were a few cops so I asked if anyone was comfortable checking my car seat. One said he was unsure, the other did it though

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:43 pm
We didn’t used to them when we moved we heard that ppl do install. We got it done by a police officer, it was the closest location to us, he then taught my husband how to do it for future times.

We did once go to aaa when we had an issue.
Not all aaa do it so check your location.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:47 pm
We went to the fire station and they helped us out.

tymama

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:47 pm
The owner of the store that we bought our car seat form is a professional installer and he did for free any time we bought a new one from him

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 24 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A professional told me that police and fire stations aren’t good people to do it since they aren’t active in it and I guess don’t know it so well?

As it happens, I went once to one police station, then the next time I needed the seat switched I went to a police station in a different town about 20 minutes away because they had the day I needed. It was the same group of cops. They told me they travel to the different places on the different days, they are the designated cops who are certified in this.

Again, this is in NJ where there is a schedule you can look up online of which police stations have it on which days
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics