Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is going rate for mothers helper?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 2:27 pm
What is the going rate for a mothers helper in Far Rockaway, Queens,NY

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 3:24 pm
Depends on experience, how much work they’re given, and contracts..
I pay mine 15$ per hour

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 25 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Depends on experience, how much work they’re given, and contracts..
I pay mine 15$ per hour

For a mother’s helper who just plays with or entertains the kids or a babysitter that takes care of the kids when the parents are not home.

My mother’s helper would be about 14yrs old

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:00 am
Not in NY but OOT. My girls get $8-10 an hour for that.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 12:31 am
$5 per hour for middle schooler oot

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 27 2021, 1:07 am
OP, just a tip, you should pay the standard babysitting rate in your community for mothers’ helpers. Girls actually prefer babysitting over being a mother’s helper because it’s kind of “awkward” as they call it to have the mother there watching everything they do. Some mothers will pay less than the babysitting rate because they think it’s less work for the girl, which may be true, but they don’t realize that the girls are already reluctant to take the job because they don’t want someone watching their every move, and then to be paid less for their time when they could have instead taken a babysitting job that pays more, makes them not want to work for that person again. My girls are offered lots of babysitting and mother’s helper jobs and they can pick and choose who they want to work for...not sure if your community is the same but just something to consider.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
OP, just a tip, you should pay the standard babysitting rate in your community for mothers’ helpers. Girls actually prefer babysitting over being a mother’s helper because it’s kind of “awkward” as they call it to have the mother there watching everything they do. Some mothers will pay less than the babysitting rate because they think it’s less work for the girl, which may be true, but they don’t realize that the girls are already reluctant to take the job because they don’t want someone watching their every move, and then to be paid less for their time when they could have instead taken a babysitting job that pays more, makes them not want to work for that person again. My girls are offered lots of babysitting and mother’s helper jobs and they can pick and choose who they want to work for...not sure if your community is the same but just something to consider.

I guess in my mind, I consider a mother’s helper someone who is not qualified to be alone with the children. If someone is qualified to be a baby sitter then I would expect babysitter rate to be appropriate.

What age would you let a babysitter be alone with a 1yr old, 3yr old, and 5yr old?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 8:36 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:

Where I'm from, mothers helper jobs are for younger kids (11-12) who aren't old enough to babysit but are old enough to watch over and entertain toddlers and preschoolers while mom does other stuff around the house. It's a good way to get your feet wet leading up to the age of actual babysitting, and it is supposed to be cheaper than babysitting because it's a simpler job and the kids doing it are younger/less experienced. Yeah, 16 year old is going to want a real babysitting job at real babysitting rates. 7 or 8 dollars to have an 11 year old entertain your 3 year old while you take care of stuff around the house is fair and reasonable in my circles.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 28 2021, 10:04 pm
Got it. In my city we usually don’t have young mother’s helpers for pay. Kids babysit from about age 12 as long as they’re mature normal kids. It would be considered fine for a 12 year old to watch kids the age you mentioned, op.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics