Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is our landlord being unreasonable?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Shif

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:29 pm
Did the lanlord even come to see what the problem really is? Check to see if the oven is actually broken/ or if the gas line is leaking...anything??? Legally he has to come out to check the problem. As far as replacing anything broken, not sure if htere is an actual time frame that it has to be completed by.

Quote:
decided to raise our rent

if you have a standard lease, it is illegal for him to just raise the rent. Check your lease.

Most importantly, make sure any written correspondance is kept, letters should be mailed certified, receipts kept, etc. record dates and times of conversations. If he is a jerky landlord, you need to stay on top of him and be aware of your rights.

MrsLeo

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 10:00 pm
My oven isnt working properly either but since its not completely broken the landlord isnt responsible. I used my oven maybe 5 times since we moved in almost 2 years ago.
Hopefully my husband should be buying me a new oven but we'll see about that.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 10:07 pm
greeneyes wrote:
Ok, thanks for the push. I'm going to do some research.

Also, it won't necessarily cost an arm and a leg to use an attorney. There might even be a free consultation.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 10:08 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
I don't think he can just raise the rent in retaliation for your asking for a working oven (which I believe you're entitled to).

If you don't have a lease the landlord can do anylthing he or she wants.

I don't believe you're correct.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:40 am
I rented apts for over 20 yrs, Crayon. I have a lot of experience. also I rent apts for a lilving, don't forget.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:51 am
Just like TR -Did you check the pilot? Make sure that is lite before assuming the oven has a problem. My pilot has gone out and I knew there was a problem because I could smell gas.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:20 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I rented apts for over 20 yrs, Crayon. I have a lot of experience. also I rent apts for a lilving, don't forget.

Good for you. It doesn't mean that it's legal to do whatever you want to a tenant who doesn't have a lease.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 28 2008, 1:26 pm
You're a tenant at will. If you don't like it, you can move.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 5:44 pm
greeneyes---how about an update on you stove.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 6:07 pm
Ive never heard of such a thing as a landlord having to provide a working oven. In my apartment, we pay for EVERYTHIGN - exterminators, fixing leaks, fixing broken toilets, clogged sinks, broken windows... we bought our own appliances... we pay our own heat, electiricity.... and we pay rent. It woudlnt occur to me to ask my landlord to take care of a broken oven - I would do it myself!

Tehilla

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 6:09 pm
MB, in general leaks and exterminators are a landlord's cheshbon not yours.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 6:30 pm
Since I pay a crazy low rent, I just hold my breath and thank H' that my landlords arent raising me and just pay for repairs myself.

shoy18

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 6:39 pm
when you rent, nothing is your responsibility unless otherwise stated in the contract, if an oven brakes and it came with the apt its the landlords problem, if however you put in your own appliances and plan on taking them with you then I would assume you have to pay for repairs yourself.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 7:17 pm
NOTHING came with this apartment. we renovated it from SCRATCH - put in new kitchen, new bathroom, porch, window gates, holes for the air conditioners, built new closets, removed old moldings, put in new appliances. that was th eonly way you could get an apartment 12 years ago. It's a total rundown wreck by now....

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 7:20 pm
mb, you aren't afriad that you'd put a lot of gelt into your apt and then you'd be asked to move?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 7:43 pm
Even if you're renting, you can't just kick out a tenant the next day. There are laws and B"H they favor the tenant.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 7:47 pm
That's true, a legal eviction can take 18 mos and cost a million dollars.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:09 pm
we still haven't heard from greeneyes. Where are you?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:17 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
mb, you aren't afriad that you'd put a lot of gelt into your apt and then you'd be asked to move?
I've been living here for 11 1/2 years so the money we put in years ago has been really 'used' by now. I amnot putting in a cent other than necessary repairs - no painting or scraping even though the walls are peelisn and the floor is a disaster. but if I have a leaking sink, cockroach infestation, or broken window, I gotta fix it to live...

We're hoping to move out of here in a coupleo f years BE"H, when the housing crisis will pass, and/or we'll get section 8....

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 8:24 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
We're hoping to move out of here in a coupleo f years BE"H, when the housing crisis will pass, and/or we'll get section 8....

is that how long it takes to quality? oyyyyyy
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics