Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Please tell me everything about OPWDD...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:18 am
Hi,
My son was just diagnosed with autism, and I was told he'd be eligible for OPWDD. How exactly will that help us? Also, is there an income bracket you need to be in in order to be eligible? Finally, does it make a difference which agency I would go through? Thanks a ton!

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:26 am
If you live in NY you can call Hamaspik.
They will guide you through the process.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 20 2021, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:27 am
OPWDD is not income based and it doesn't make a difference which agency you go through.

suremom

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
My son was just diagnosed with autism, and I was told he'd be eligible for OPWDD. How exactly will that help us? Also, is there an income bracket you need to be in in order to be eligible? Finally, does it make a difference which agency I would go through? Thanks a ton!

Firstly, mazel tov on getting a diagnosis....
Any special needs child should be eligible for opwdd (he will be approved for medicaid thru the waiver program). From when you apply until when you get approved can take a very long time. How it can help you depends on your sons age. The agency you use makes a big difference as each one has its pros and cons. Where you live will also make a difference on what the agencies provide.
What will depend on income bracket is if you want reimbursement for private insurance thru medicaid. Thought straight medicaid will still remain your sons secondary insurance.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:34 am
I'm in NY, and am going through Hamaspik (though I could probably change if that's best for him...).

suremom

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm in NY, and am going through Hamaspik (though I could probably change if that's best for him...).

Hamaspik is very on top of things and also a bit rigid. Once you are in and approved, you can then decide whats important to you and switch agencies accordingly. Always ask around to find out what services you can get as agencies will not spell everything out to you. You will also need to decide if you want to go for self direction.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:01 am
I don't have who to ask in real life, so what do they offer? Also, what exactly is self-direction?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:14 am
I use rayim I’m very happy with them. Self direction will allow you to do the therapies you want, take him places & get reimbursed etc.. it’s a very lengthy process till you actually get it all approved- even longer cuz if COVID. So whatever agency you decide to use start immediately.

BS"D!!!

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 12:44 pm
Once you are signed up, through any agency, you will be assigned a care manager who is supposed to explain and help you get govt funded services for your child. These services may include weekly hours of paid respite, weekly hours of community habilitation (someone hired to work with the child on goals you set for him), and reimbursements for certain items.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 1:11 pm
some schools also accept OPWDD- I know some girls schools in that accept it- Yesodos and Tiferes in Monsey do accept it- I'm assuming some boys schools would accept it as well.
Usually it will augment out of pocket tuition, but this is a huge financial help for many families.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:50 pm
I’m dealing with a very very serious situation regarding a family member who got approved through opwdd. We went through tri county care, which I now understand is the only Jewish CCO in the area.
We’ve been dealing with rayim, and I know they’ve helped many but there has been very serious mistreatment through a specific worker of theirs.

All I can say is tread extremely carefully, do tonz of research every single step of the way.
DO NOT, rely on the case managers recommendations without researching, even if they are a yid. And realize that every single person involved is out to make a buck… be very careful and Hatzlacha rabba.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 12:49 pm
Bumping this up.

Who would I need to contact if I offer a service (a specific exercise) that would be beneficial for those covered by opwdd? Do I just advertise? Do I contact an agency to recommend me?

Also, would my clients pay me directly and opwdd reimburses them? Or would the agency pay me?

Tia for any info

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 1:59 pm
Anyone?

play doe

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:10 am
Contact self direction support brokers directly and contact fiscal intermediaries such as Rayim, Hamaspik, HASC, Hand in Hand...
If people who have self direction go to you, you will give them invoices and their agency will pay you from the individual's budget. You will likely receive a 1099 form, so higher taxes than W2.

To reach people who have traditional services (as opposed to self directed services), maybe advertise in a publication for the SN population and try to find parents of SN kids who will spread the word through their chats, both literal and virtual.

To get paid from an agency through traditional services, you would likely have to sign up as a com hab/respite worker with the agency that the child uses. The pay for these services is typically 15-20/hr. Your best bet for this scenario to work is probably Rayim, maybe Hamaspik.

If you want to provide this service to people who live in residences, contact the residential coordinators at agencies such as Hamaspik, Rayim, Ohel, HASC, Human Care.
You can also try day hab programs at all the agencies that have them.
You must be vaccinated to enter a day hab or a residence.

You can also try special Ed schools, they might refer students to you.
Also, ask Project REACH if they would add you to their list of resources. It's run by the OU. REACH@ou.org

I may be able to spread your name around a bit. Feel free to pm me.

play doe

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:12 am
play doe wrote:
Contact self direction support brokers directly and contact fiscal intermediaries such as Rayim, Hamaspik, HASC, Hand in Hand...
If people who have self direction go to you, you will give them invoices and their agency will pay you from the individual's budget. You will likely receive a 1099 form, so higher taxes than W2.

To reach people who have traditional services (as opposed to self directed services), maybe advertise in a publication for the SN population and try to find parents of SN kids who will spread the word through their chats, both literal and virtual.

To get paid from an agency through traditional services, you would likely have to sign up as a com hab/respite worker with the agency that the child uses. The pay for these services is typically 15-20/hr. Your best bet for this scenario to work is probably Rayim, maybe Hamaspik.

If you want to provide this service to people who live in residences, contact the residential coordinators at agencies such as Hamaspik, Rayim, Ohel, HASC, Human Care, Makor.
You can also try day hab programs at all the agencies that have them.
You must be vaccinated to enter a day hab or a residence.

You can also try special Ed schools, they might refer students to you.
Also, ask Project REACH if they would add you to their list of resources. It's run by the OU. REACH@ou.org

I may be able to spread your name around a bit. Feel free to pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)