Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
If you wear Tichels (not pre tied)…
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have to wear it with a wig grip so it doesn’t fall off? Any other tricks?

I have the same question. I ended up wearing snoods or berets full time because I found wearing a tichel too high maintenance. Which is a shame since I definitely look better in a tichel but I love my snoods and berets now

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:33 pm
I have thin cotton caps I got on ebay, such as this (ha. Used to be under $2).

It has some give and I tuck my oblong scarf under at the front, then go around behind my head and over the top. It's a very simple wrap & not too bulky (depending on scarf) but today even that was too much!

Here's one under $3. Look for "inner hijab cap".

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:35 pm
This one is 3 for $8

L K

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 5:46 pm
Wrapunzel cloud9 all the way.

I used to wear tichels without anything underneath for years and wrapunzel volumizers are a game changer.

They don’t add pressure and actually remove pressure and weight from the head, you don’t have to tie tichel super tight till it hurts, or have it more loose and try to keep it on using the muscles of your ears and willpower lol.
I can compare it to wearing a badly fitting bra vs a snug supportive one.

You can regulate volume (take out extra filling if you don’t like it, or reshape it to your liking), I dont Find it adds volume, it actually shapes your head better and prevents an egg-shaped look.

In terms of styling, you can pull on a volumizer, tie your tichel with one or two simple knots and you’re good to go.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 6:05 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
I use the velvety feel bands that velcro at bottom. I think mine is an old Milano brand. I also use hair gel if I'm going out to gel around the front of my hair and sides...it stops baby hair spilling out and also keeps grip on and scarf. My scarves don't move. And I mean don't move.

Do you think this would work for a chenille snood?

taketwo

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 6:06 pm
1. make sure the velvet headband is on the right way. You should feel friction when you drag your finger across it starting from your forehead towards the back of your head. If you don't feel friction it is on the wrong way.

2. Never tie too tightly. Tying too tightly will cause it to pull backwards.

3. Most of Wrapunzel Shapers stuffing is removable if you are not looking for volume, just remove some stuffing. I see you got some recommendations for the cloud 9 already. It's a very comfortable option, but sometimes will slip back if your head is larger and it is fully stuffed. It's easy to remove the stuffing so that doesn't happen.

4. Don't use conditioner on your hair at the crown of your head. Only on the ends.

5. If you are using squares/triangles put it on covering your forehead slightly, then fold up and under the excess until where you would usually start your tichel.

6. watch tutorials for square scarves and using just a non-slip headband on the wrapunzel ladies YouTube channel.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 7:01 pm
I’ve never worn a wig grip. I do double layer, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

banana split

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 7:49 pm
I fold it over about an inch in the front. I find that it holds better

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m new to the tichel scene and previously tried wig grips with my shaitels with no success (do I use the combs in the shaitel to make them stay). Haven’t tried wig grips yet with tichels but I’m have a feeling they won’t work either and then I’ll be out of luck. My tichels keep falling off 😞

I assume a wrapunzel shaper adds volume? If so I don’t want to use it…

Check out the little tichel lady on Instagram. She's a frum lady who sells tichels and shapers and such. She has tutorials where she's wearing her shaper with no stuffing in it. (She wears it because she's not going to uncover her hair on IG). Maybe that's an option? I personally wear the low volume shaper, and I removed most of the stuffing. (When you buy it it has quite a bit in it, and comes with extra too.) It's not like a wrapunzle shaper because the volume is at the bottom, not at the top of your head.

(The owner's name is Jessica and she's really helpful. She responds very promptly to messages on her website or ig)

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 8:38 pm
This may sound strange...but I learned this trick from my mother
The next time you want to throw out a ruined pair of pantyhose, cut off the waistband plus some more
It makes a great teichel grip!

funmama

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 10:32 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
This may sound strange...but I learned this trick from my mother
The next time you want to throw out a ruined pair of pantyhose, cut off the waistband plus some more
It makes a great teichel grip!

Can you give some more details how that works?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:22 pm
Somehow the friction stops the tichel from slipping
I’ve got news for you… When my mother wore wigs that did not have a front comb she would use this trick and the wig would not slip back either
I would say about 3 inches after the waistband you should cut it off… Slip it over your head like a headband with the waistband by your hairline… Try it ..it doesn’t cost anything! You were going to throw out the pantyhose anyway so you might as well experiment 😊

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:42 pm
On Instagram saw idea to buy velvet material and glue a large piece to the tichel fold using fabric glue.
They used cheap velvet pillowcases from ali express.
Looked like a good idea

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 12:07 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
On Instagram saw idea to buy velvet material and glue a large piece to the tichel fold using fabric glue.
They used cheap velvet pillowcases from ali express.
Looked like a good idea

Interesting idea!

batmelech1

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 6:21 am
Try the “Rinati Lakel” website. She has some grips, and headbands to wear under your tichel. I love her style. Very classy.

Roots

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 12:32 pm
I wear a velevt headband
doesnt move
( I removed the velco on the bottom and put elastic instead- that way the velco doesnt get stuck to my hair. ouch!)
also just realize that velvet has 2 sides- one side that slips and one that doesnt move.
good luck

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
I have the same question. I ended up wearing snoods or berets full time because I found wearing a tichel too high maintenance. Which is a shame since I definitely look better in a tichel but I love my snoods and berets now

Me too (berets not snoods) it depends a lot on the type of hair and shape or size of your head I think.
I have a small head and very straight hair. Nothing but a hat stays on my head, I’ve tried clips and velvet bands and the scarves always just slip off.
I have not tried a bobo because I don’t love the look and it seems uncomfortable to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 12:54 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Me too (berets not snoods) it depends a lot on the type of hair and shape or size of your head I think.
I have a small head and very straight hair. Nothing but a hat stays on my head, I’ve tried clips and velvet bands and the scarves always just slip off.
I have not tried a bobo because I don’t love the look and it seems uncomfortable to me.

Is that my problem? I also have a small head and very straight hair

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 2:08 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I have this velvet headband thing.
it Velcro's together on the bottem.

Same. I use it with my pretied tichels and wigs both.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 2:09 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Same. I use it with my pretied tichels and wigs both.

Yes that’s a wig grip
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels