Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pinworms
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 7:50 pm
Helpppp!!!!! As im wiping my 6yr old from the bathroom, I see white stuff that were sticking to his skin.. then I realized it might be worms! Uhgggggg im grossed out! He didnt complain a bit its so weird! Any idea what I can do for this naturally ?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:03 pm
Shower him well.
Wash his pjs, pants, underpants well in a hot wash.
Buy pinworm med and give to the whole family.
Pinworms spread fast. If it is that. He probably would have felt it and complained though it’s really itchy.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:12 pm
Some kids don’t have symptoms.
Natural remedies don’t really work as you would have to be EXTREMELY neurotically strict about hygiene for 6 weeks, which is the life cycle of the worms. And 6 year olds are generally not reliable for being strict.
The meds are over the counter. Even with meds, they can be hard to get rid of.

rubyred

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:23 pm
Paraguard (made by zahler) is a natural remedy for parasite cleanse. Can be given to kids in the drops form. Wash all bedding in hot water.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....=UTF8

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:47 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Some kids don’t have symptoms.
Natural remedies don’t really work as you would have to be EXTREMELY neurotically strict about hygiene for 6 weeks, which is the life cycle of the worms. And 6 year olds are generally not reliable for being strict.
The meds are over the counter. Even with meds, they can be hard to get rid of.

The reason why I asked about natural stuff cuz I had worms as a kid and my mom gave me meds and it came back lots of times.. never got rid of it .. so if I give meds, it will most likely come back

Snickers18

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:50 pm
I don’t have personal experience, but I just read that pomegranate seeds flush them right out. Many people verified that from personal experience.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 8:53 pm
Good hand washing and training kids to not put their fingers in their mouth are the most important part of preventing and getting rid of them for good. Otherwise they will continue ingesting eggs, and neither meds nor natural treatments will help.

Miri1

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 9:04 pm
Cut down on sugar.
Shower him daily, ideally in the morning (not bath).
I've heard pineapple juice works, but don't give him too much because it is very acidic and can make his mouth sore.
I've also heard about pomegranate.
Wash underwear and pj's on hot daily, and put through the dryer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 9:45 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Cut down on sugar.
Shower him daily, ideally in the morning (not bath).
I've heard pineapple juice works, but don't give him too much because it is very acidic and can make his mouth sore.
I've also heard about pomegranate.
Wash underwear and pj's on hot daily, and put through the dryer.

Its x possible to cut down on sugar not knowing what he eats in school.. but at home I can for sure try. Does it make sense he cought it from kids in the pool? Uhggg im so annoyed

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its x possible to cut down on sugar not knowing what he eats in school.. but at home I can for sure try. Does it make sense he cought it from kids in the pool? Uhggg im so annoyed

When DD got pinworms, I did some research. I was shocked to read that at any given time, one out of 10 kids has pinworms. That means in a class of 20, there are 2 kids with active cases. At any point in time!

Pinworm eggs are invisible. They can lie dormant in the soil for months until they find the right environment to hatch. Even kicked up dust can be inhaled, and the pinworms can get in. If you have a kid who likes to help you garden, or who likes to dig in the dirt, play dump trucks, or anything like that, then you'll never get rid of them. Sandboxes are usually full of eggs as well, because cats bury their poo in there.

Like lice, they are become harder and harder to get rid of. If you only kill off the weaker ones, then the stronger worms will just take over.

Whenever we had to deal with it, we used Vermox. You can get it by prescription, or order it from Kiwi Drugs. I always kept a big stock in the house, just in case. I treated everyone in the house, including the dog.

(And really, you should be aware of what the school is feeding your kid. You are the parent, and you have the right to have a say in this.)

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:05 pm
Natural is sticking a garlic clove up their tush
But the regular over the counter medicine works just fine. One dose is all that’s needed. And may need another dose 2 weeks later (if they have eggs that hatched). All the kids in your house should take it.
Wash in hot water all linen underwear and clothing/pajamas.

Not that hard to get rid of BH.

Wash hands with soap when he gets home.
Make sure their nails are short (they like to live under nails until they get into the mouth or rush)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Natural is sticking a garlic clove up their tush
But the regular over the counter medicine works just fine. One dose is all that’s needed. And may need another dose 2 weeks later (if they have eggs that hatched). All the kids in your house should take it.
Wash in hot water all linen underwear and clothing/pajamas.

Not that hard to get rid of BH.

Wash hands with soap when he gets home.
Make sure their nails are short (they like to live under nails until they get into the mouth or rush)

A regular fresh garlic clove from the fridge? Or u mean garlic vitamin? Omg hes never gona let me do that!!

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A regular fresh garlic clove from the fridge? Or u mean garlic vitamin? Omg hes never gona let me do that!!

Oh I mean a clove from a head of garlic and I’d probably buy a real head of garlic not ones already peeled in fridge since they are less potent

Lol. I’m sure he won’t. Maybe he would do it himself?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:20 pm
Unfortunately I have some experience. It is VERY unlikely for worms to be outside the an_s unless is is a very dark room. If I have a suspicious of pinworms, I check my kids in middle of the night and only at the last second shine my flashlight otherwise they'll recede into the rectum.
If ther ARE pinworms, or if you would like to treat to be safe, there is an OTC med called Reeses pinworm med. Give before bed. The following morning wash all linens on hot. Sanitoze all surface. Vacuum floor. (Not sweep because as someone mentioned earlier the eggs can go airborne). 2 weeks later take another dose of the med to kill out any eggs which may have hatched between the 2 doses.

Sending you hugs...this is not one of the glorious parts of motherhood...

Ps, if you do choose to check them while they're in bed be sure to let them know you will do so since you won't be able to get consent while they're asleep.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 30 2021, 10:34 pm
Just FYI the garlic clove trick HURTS
my son gets worms often (some kids are just more prone to it according to my pediatrician) and we tried the garlic thing I’ve never seen him in so much pain. Ever. It was pure torture.

Miri1

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 1:20 pm
Open all your blinds during the day, since the eggs are sensitive to sunlight.

Miri1

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 1:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
When DD got pinworms, I did some research. I was shocked to read that at any given time, one out of 10 kids has pinworms. That means in a class of 20, there are 2 kids with active cases. At any point in time!

Pinworm eggs are invisible. They can lie dormant in the soil for months until they find the right environment to hatch. Even kicked up dust can be inhaled, and the pinworms can get in. If you have a kid who likes to help you garden, or who likes to dig in the dirt, play dump trucks, or anything like that, then you'll never get rid of them. Sandboxes are usually full of eggs as well, because cats bury their poo in there.

Like lice, they are become harder and harder to get rid of. If you only kill off the weaker ones, then the stronger worms will just take over.

Whenever we had to deal with it, we used Vermox. You can get it by prescription, or order it from Kiwi Drugs. I always kept a big stock in the house, just in case. I treated everyone in the house, including the dog.

(And really, you should be aware of what the school is feeding your kid. You are the parent, and you have the right to have a say in this.)

I think soil is a more common route for other parasites, like hookworm and whipworm.

Pinworms is a common childhood problem due to lack of hygiene awareness etc. The main way it is transmitted is through contact at school or at home. It can be hard to get rid of unfortunately, but there is hope! Eventually a kid will cut the cycle.
I remember once asking my doctor if it had been going around recently, and his response: it's always going around.
Sad sorry Sad

But now I think of it, if your son has no complaints, and you're not even sure what is was that you saw, maybe he doesn't have it after all!
Perhaps the white stuff was toilet paper that got stuck to him?
I've rarely actually seen the little worms, tbh, usually it's the symptoms that tell me a kid has pinworm.

There is a test you can do if you're really not sure - it involves, if I remember correctly putting some kind of tape on the area immediately upon waking up, and then the lab will analyze to see if any eggs got stuck. (yeah I know sounds lovely Smile

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 1:43 pm
To test for it, my doctors office has what they call paddle tests, which is a little plastic stick with sticky sides. You can do it at home and bring it in or they do it in the office. The dr looks at it under the microscope in the office to confirm diagnosis. But my pediatrician usually recommends just treating if you suspect it.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 2:31 pm
It may not be pinworms. Check by shining a flashlight in his backside in the middle of the night, and waiting 20-30 seconds to see if you see anything. If they're there you'll see them moving.
Going the natural route before being thorough with meds and cleaning is just asking for months of reoccurring worms IME. Give Reese or Pin-X, follow the instructions to the letter including the second dose. Keep his nails short, wash hands a lot, and wash his bedding. If you have other kids then check them too and treat if needed, some just don't feel it.
If you follow all the rules and it keeps coming back then I guess it's worth exploring the natural options but to me they seem super time consuming and much less effective.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 2:39 pm
There’s pinex. It kills the pinworms. Worked for my kids well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children