Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Do you worry about hidden cameras in Airbnb bedroom?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:13 am
Is this crazy? I still end up going but I have niggling thoughts about if the owner put a hidden camera in the bedrooom...After all, you can hide it anywhere and no one would know. Not like hotels where there are lots of different cleaning people and less places to hide it generally.

Anyone else ever have this thought?

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this crazy? I still end up going but I have niggling thoughts about if the owner put a hidden camera in the bedrooom...After all, you can hide it anywhere and no one would know. Not like hotels where there are lots of different cleaning people and less places to hide it generally.

Yes. I also wonder if the construction man who redid our roof left a camera in my bathroom skylight.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:43 am
No more worried than when we are away for Shabbos but I guess it's possible.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 2:19 am
I've never thought of this but if it really concerns you, there are devices you can buy that can tell you if there's a camera.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 2:32 am
Can’t imagine that I am so interesting to watch that anyone would be bothered. I also work under the assumption that people are basically good and decent human beings.

s c

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 5:43 am
Have really never thought about this before . We use air bnbs quite often and now I'm also gonna be wondering !

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 5:49 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
Yes. I also wonder if the construction man who redid our roof left a camera in my bathroom skylight.

Why are you wondering that? No one wants to see you 💩.

I do remember reading of a hotel manger who was arrested for placing hidden cameras in rooms and would enjoy watching them every night though….

imasinger

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 5:55 am
If the thought bothers you enough, you can spend the money on a camera detector.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/....._id=0|254&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcdKbRC4fzDIchz_NLUAXDcPxS0gcjgPsoQfUGf0ubF42ZbeJ_nX1jhoCcLoQAvD_BwE

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 5:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They are welcome to watch how we drop in our beds exhausted every day after shlepping kids to outings and beach.

In the last airbnb we used, our kids slept in the "master bedroom" because dh and I needed separate beds Hee hee

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 6:08 am
I read of a case a while ago where a bunch of guys got busted for collecting and trading videos from hotel rooms. They can go for a lot of money on the internet.

cmother

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 6:17 am
Yes, always have that on my mind in every room/hotel we rent.
Not afraid our images would get on the net, just the creepy thought that someone might be watching.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 6:46 am
Most Airbnb’s do have cameras however it’s officially illegal to have them in the bedrooms. I personally saw the lights start blinking on the cameras both in the main room and on the porch of the house we were staying at. I panicked and asked the house caretaker what’s going on and she said that the owners only have the camera activated outside in the driveway. I obviously didn’t believe her. (Maybe she was just repeating what the told her) Once I didn’t believe them anymore I started to worry about hidden cameras in the bedrooms. It could be a light bulb or whatever... I am really not comfortable anymore when we go away.
My husband has a friend who owns an Airbnb. He has cameras for all over aside for bedrooms and bathrooms. Once he reached that when a group of 6 reserved the house, they were being dishonest. After the first 2 cars pulled into the driveway, he watched a coach bus pull up with 20 more people. They were all carrying luggage and went inside. He feared that his house would be destroyed by the party going on in his house. He called and said they all must leave.
So ye, I do believe all Airbnb’s have cameras.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 8:14 am
imasinger wrote:
If the thought bothers you enough, you can spend the money on a camera detector.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/....._id=0|254&gclid=CjwKCAjwz_WGBhA1EiwAUAxIcdKbRC4fzDIchz_NLUAXDcPxS0gcjgPsoQfUGf0ubF42ZbeJ_nX1jhoCcLoQAvD_BwE

Maybe I'm just naive and trusting but has anyone actually found a hidden camera or personally know someone who did??

Of course you hear about stories but I've never imagined that it's normal for these things to be around bedrooms, bathrooms etc.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 8:26 am
Since the story that happened a few years ago where the Rabbi planted a camera in the Mikvah room, I am absolutely paranoid

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:13 am
I have used AirBnB before, and I will again, but this article definitely gave me pause.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news.....-away

I heard an interview with the journalist, and her takeaway did not seem to be "AirBnB knows there are horror situations and just see it as the cost of doing business," but rather "AirBnB knows there are horror situations and is really committed to providing as much as possible when it's needed." But it still is alarming.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:38 am
Wow! Eye opening. The article is much more about physical violence and attack then spying but I guess anything is possible.

luckymom1

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 9:46 am
When I stay at an airbnb, I use only superhosts and ask where they have cameras. They are required to tell you. Superhosts wouldn't risk someone finding one as they are blacklisted forever.
It does cross my mind when I am there but doesn't worry me really. You can always give them a show 😝

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 10:41 am
luckymom1 wrote:
When I stay at an airbnb, I use only superhosts and ask where they have cameras. They are required to tell you. Superhosts wouldn't risk someone finding one as they are blacklisted forever.
It does cross my mind when I am there but doesn't worry me really. You can always give them a show 😝

That’s good to know. What exactly is a super host?

luckymom1

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 11:19 am
They need to have at least 3 reservations that total 100 nights, 90% response rate, 1% cancelation rate, and 4.8 rating.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 01 2021, 12:40 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I've never thought of this but if it really concerns you, there are devices you can buy that can tell you if there's a camera.
which devices? Can you post links?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics