Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Writing thank you card in pencil

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:13 am
I have a horrible handwriting and writing cards by hand is an ordeal for me. Has been since I was a kid and I never got better at it. I stress, write, rewrite, etc.

Is it terrible if I wrote in pencil, so I can erase mistakes or illegible words as soon as I make them, instead of needing to make ugly cross outs and/or start all over again on a new card?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:17 am
Practice on a plain piece of paper, and when you get it right, copy the note onto your stationery.

It's best to have a boring template letter - Dear Mr. and Mrs. X, Thanks for the lovely whatever. We look forward to using it and to sharing future simchas. Sincerely, etc.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 2:55 am
Why not try an erasable pen?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 3:01 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Practice on a plain piece of paper, and when you get it right, copy the note onto your stationery.

It's best to have a boring template letter - Dear Mr. and Mrs. X, Thanks for the lovely whatever. We look forward to using it and to sharing future simchas. Sincerely, etc.

I do usually plan (type) exactly what I want to say. I still seem to make mistakes in execution.

Lately I started writing a practice round on plain paper too before I write the same thing on the card, which helps a little but not completely, and also takes me a long time.

In case it helps explain anything, I have ADHD.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 3:04 am
Oops, double post. Case in point.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 3:05 am
SuperWify wrote:
Why not try an erasable pen?

Yes, I need one of those!!!!

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:01 am
I see nothing at all wrong with pencil.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 4:49 am
Why don’t u type it? You sign ur name at end

I get typed cards from bar mitzva boys that have horrible handwriting and they just sign their names at the end

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 5:28 am
Whats wrong with pencil?

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 5:39 am
a thank you note is always appreciated
please don't stress and just do what works for you
yes many who have handwriting "issues" just type and sign

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 6:11 am
It's fine. Try a dark blue or hunter green pencil, which looks more festive and less grade-school but still has enough contrast to be comfortable for older people to read. But, truthfully, I'd type if at all possible. If your handwriting is not the best, that's a far better solution if you want your card to be neat and legible.

A century ago, etiquette decreed that personal correspondence was to be written by hand, because typing was an insult. It implied that the document was produced by a secretary and was therefore not personal, sincere or confidential and may not even have been composed by the sender. Once typewriters became common for personal use, this assumption was obsolete. No one today would be offended to receive a personal note that was typed.

While there is a certain quaint ta'am and warmth to handwritten correspondence, the essential function of any correspondence is communication. If your handwriting is illegible, your communication is compromised. If your page is smudged, you're making a poor impression. You'd be better off typing. If you're using an actual typewriter, a purchased blank card can be inserted into it. If you're using a printer and a purchased card won't work, print your message on plain paper, trim to fit and glue onto the purchased card.

I would venture to say that even for a formal wedding invitation, a typed address is a better bet than a hand-calligraphed one. Fancy calligraphy--or an ornate computer font-- is easily misread. An ongepatchked "I" can look like an "H" or a "J," an embellished "T" can look like an "F" and so on. For a monogram embroidered on a towel or engraved on a pendant, it may not matter, but if you want your mail to be delivered to its intended recipient and your message to be correctly understood, plain and simple does it best.

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 6:13 am
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
Why don’t u type it? You sign ur name at end

I get typed cards from bar mitzva boys that have horrible handwriting and they just sign their names at the end

I actually prefer them typed. What's the point of writing by hand if it's impossible to read?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 6:19 am
zaq wrote:
If you're using a printer and a purchased card won't work, print your message on plain paper, trim to fit and glue onto the purchased card.

Disclaimer voice to text

Actually today many printers can be formatted for purchased cards and other sorts of templates personally I don't have the best handwriting and when I need to print when I needed to send a certain mail I put it into word it has a template for an envelope and then I put the envelope in my printer and it is so much better because I know it'll get to its destination

So definitely double triple check your printer settings and make sure you got a techie to help if you needSo definitely double triple check your printer settings and make sure you got a techie to help if you need

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Jul 02 2021, 6:58 am
I would be so excited to get a handwritten thinking out from someone that I certainly would not care what it was written in! I haven't gotten a thank you note in years and I don't even know if I've gotten one on even WhatsApp or an email recently. I often wonder if the person even got my gift.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 1:35 am
Thank you all!!!

It didn't even occur to me to type. That is way easy for me! The idea to print it out and glue it into an actual greeting card sounds good to me. (That way I can use any pretty card that I find in a store, without worrying about the exact size and formatting issues--if I mess up the formatting, I can just print it out again on plain paper.)

My thank you cards for now are all written, but I think I will plan to do this in the future.

Thank you Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette