Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
BYHS graduates
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:46 pm
Does no one else have BY memories???

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:

Bais Yaakov, we love you,
For you anything we'll do,
Watch out, we're coming your way,
Bais Yaakov, we're here to stay,
Hey, hey!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:15 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Graduated ‘05

“The following students have outstanding detention....”

We were in the old and new building.

Me too!!
We had Hebrew classes in the old building and ran across the street to the new building for English!

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:23 pm
Graduated in 2012.
Have great memories of my years there but I sure did not learn too much in those four years.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:41 pm

Just 4 years I'd rather forget.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
Just 4 years I'd rather forget.

Really?? Why??

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:44 pm
Really?? Why??

It was a factory. Students were just numbers. There was no hashkafa. Just musser.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:47 pm
I had to take the elevator in the old building due to injury . I was given a key to the elevator but was only allowed to ride it alone. More than once when I pressed the fourth floor button , I started going up and suddenly the elevator made a huge drop and the door opened between two floors. It was during lunchtime and I could see the hundreds of legs and shoes running passed. What a terrifying moment.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
It was a factory. Students were just numbers. There was no hashkafa. Just musser.

I don’t know who I thought I was but one day in eleventh grade I walked over to Miss Grama and went on a rant about how disgusting it is that girls are just a number . I named her girls in my class as examples and she had no idea who these people were. Teachers don’t know their students names. Unless you were popular or built a personal kesher with the teacher you were a nobody.
I happened to have had relationships with a few teachers. They all came to my wedding. But I don’t think it is a place for growth.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:50 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:

I do remember learning hashkafa even though they didn’t call it that.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

I think Rebbetzin Hirschberg taught hashkafa

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:08 pm
To be fair there were some good teachers its just that the atmosphere there feels like camp not school.
There are so many classes that are a joke for example 'French class' half the girls are passing notes and playing games.
There was no real admin. There needs to be strong menaheles/principal.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
To be fair there were some good teachers its just that the atmosphere there feels like camp not school.
There are so many classes that are a joke for example 'French class' half the girls are passing notes and playing games.
There was no real admin. There needs to be strong menaheles/principal.

I believe there are real principals these days... it isn’t what it was when we were there
But honestly, I loved it! Not as a place for growth. But just a fun place. We learned some. We chilled some. We laughed some. Had good extra curricular.
There were some teachers who knew me by name. Many more who didn’t. But it bothered me more while I was there than it does now!

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

The school has no hashkafa or derech is what I mean. They just run with musser.

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:18 pm
My daughter is registered to go in September and this thread is making me have second thoughts.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:39 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
My daughter is registered to go in September and this thread is making me have second thoughts.

Please speak to someone who currently sends, or wait for someone who graduated in the last 4 years to chime in.
The school is very different these days from the school we describe. It underwent a huge transformation a couple of years ago...

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 11:41 pm
I graduated in 98 and have almost no good memories. But from what I hear from friends who send there, the school very much improved. It’s not like it was.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:04 am
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
I graduated in 98 and have almost no good memories. But from what I hear from friends who send there, the school very much improved. It’s not like it was.

BYHS '98 graduate as well! Sad to hear you don't have good memories!

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:04 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:

My nieces all graduated in the last 5 years. They had a very different experience than I did.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 6:19 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:

I was there over 20 years ago. I bet it is nothing like it was in my day. Every single school changed and is not the same as it was back then. Not sure if for the worse or for the better. But you can’t compare.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics