Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Anyone have recipes for either

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:24 pm
1)chicken/vegetable stir fry- with easy, on hand ingredients? I was looking up recipes online, but most have ingredients that I don't have
2) Southern fried/kentucky fried chicken style chicken- I guess either drumsticks or chicken breast cut into poppers.

Thank you!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:40 pm
What do you have?

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:49 pm
andrea levy wrote:
What do you have?

Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey... I don't have toasted sesame oil or cornstarch, both of which I've seen in online recipes. I can buy but I don't use those for anything else and my apartments tiny not room to have extra things..

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:58 pm
41793371 wrote:
Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey... I don't have toasted sesame oil or cornstarch, both of which I've seen in online recipes. I can buy but I don't use those for anything else and my apartments tiny not room to have extra things..

Do you have potato starch?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:05 pm
Well, those are really basic components of stir fry. Why not just call it teriyaki chicken and call it a day?

As further explanation…

We love roasted sesame oil and use in a lot of things. Cornstarch not. My husband used xanthan gum in a stir fry this Shabbat and it was delicious but we don’t really use it for anything else either. We have space though so no big deal.

The base of most sir fry is garlic, ginger, onions and whatever vegetables you want to put in.

We cook each veg separately on high heat in a cast iron pan so that the liquid dissipates and it gives a smoky taste. Making a good stir fry is not so easy, especially without the basic ingredients. I’m a good cook and it took me years to figure out the cast iron, the high heat, and cooking things separately and then mixing and seasoning after.

The reason I did figure it out was we had a friend who had a Chinese restaurant ( who was Chinese) and he talked about the strong gas burners ( meant for one wok at a time) and the steel woks. The high heat dissipates the liquid and they barely cook the stuff so it comes together nicely. Very hard to do well at home.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:06 pm
Also if you have orange juice, there are recipes for veg and meat that have honey and soy. Google it.

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:07 pm
Starch will make the sauce shiny, thicker... I don't think it changes the taste. The sauce won't stick as well to the chicken or veg, but it still tastes good.
sesame oil changes the taste. I'm sure it's wonderful, but I never had any and haven't had a problem having a yummy sauce

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:40 pm
imanotmommy wrote:
Starch will make the sauce shiny, thicker... I don't think it changes the taste. The sauce won't stick as well to the chicken or veg, but it still tastes good.
sesame oil changes the taste. I'm sure it's wonderful, but I never had any and haven't had a problem having a yummy sauce

How do you make it without either? Would you mind to share your recipe please?

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:41 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Well, those are really basic components of stir fry. Why not just call it teriyaki chicken and call it a day?

As further explanation…

We love roasted sesame oil and use in a lot of things. Cornstarch not. My husband used xanthan gum in a stir fry this Shabbat and it was delicious but we don’t really use it for anything else either. We have space though so no big deal.

The base of most sir fry is garlic, ginger, onions and whatever vegetables you want to put in.

We cook each veg separately on high heat in a cast iron pan so that the liquid dissipates and it gives a smoky taste. Making a good stir fry is not so easy, especially without the basic ingredients. I’m a good cook and it took me years to figure out the cast iron, the high heat, and cooking things separately and then mixing and seasoning after.

The reason I did figure it out was we had a friend who had a Chinese restaurant ( who was Chinese) and he talked about the strong gas burners ( meant for one wok at a time) and the steel woks. The high heat dissipates the liquid and they barely cook the stuff so it comes together nicely. Very hard to do well at home.

I'm going to try my best. The ones online didn't look too complicated..

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 6:53 pm
You can fake a stir fry. Add a couple of tablespoons of oil (olive, vegetable) to a large, heavy pan presuming you don’t have a wok and heat on high. Add salt and pepper to about 1/4 cup flour and toss strips of chicken until coated. Add to heated heavy pan and stir fry. While the chicken is cooking, cut veggies into strips. Good ideas for veggies: carrots, peppers, red onion, snap peas, crushed garlic, water chestnuts, mushrooms, zucchini... when chicken is cooked through, remove from pan and add vegetables in order of hardness (I’d do onions and garlic first, then carrots, then peppers, etc). When vegetables are cooked but not soft, add chicken back to pan. Mix some crushed garlic with teriyaki and honey, or honey and soy sauce, or even honey and mustard in equal parts. Add to pan and toss to coat evenly. When it starts bubbling, it’s ready. Serve over rice or pasta.
Not authentic, but pretty good!

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:54 pm
41793371 wrote:
How do you make it without either? Would you mind to share your recipe please?

Same as someone posted above. Most important part is to cook chicken separate and get rid of all liquid, since you're already going to be working with a thinner sauce.
Also, just be aware that some bottled teriyaki sauces have a lot of sugar/honey added and I use those plain, whereas others taste closer to soy sauce and I'd add honey/brown sugar.

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:56 pm
Thank you!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey