Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Mold in washing cup in bathroom

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:50 pm
How can I get rid of mold in bathroom washing cup? Tia

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:55 pm
Bleach works. Probably CLR too.

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:39 pm
Thank you!!

ddmom

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 6:08 pm
Besides for mold, it's a good idea to bleach all keilim. I heard once that there was a study done and all of them were full of germs!

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 7:47 pm
ddmom wrote:
Besides for mold, it's a good idea to bleach all keilim. I heard once that there was a study done and all of them were full of germs!

"Germs" is meaningless. Everything in the world is covered in microorganisms. The only ones that count are the ones that do damage in some way: those that cause disease, spoilage, stains and foul odors, with those that cause disease being of the greatest concern. The others can be safely ignored. For that matter, we depend on many microorganisms to do things like ferment our grape juice into wine, make our bread rise, convert milk into yogurt and cheese and grain into beer and whiskey.

There's zero need to bleach your dishes if you wash them well in hot water and dishwashing detergent, unless they're stained from things like coffee and deeply-colored vegetables. Even then, baking soda and water or exposure to sunlight will often take care of the stains.

From time to time I wipe out my washing cup with a tissue (Only because the tissue is there, and since it's white, I can see how much grunge is coming off the cup.) Now and then, when the tissue doesn't get everything off, which means the cup is stained and not just coated with slime, I bleach it.

gonewiththewind1

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:05 pm

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:48 pm
How does a cup used for drinking become moldy?

Was it left out for a long period of time? I have discovered glasses that my children left that got moldy but aren't glasses that are used every day or twice a day washed every time they are used?

Is this a communal cup? I would not want the same cup to be used by multiple people. If I wash a cup that only had water I drain it and any tiny bit of dampness would evaporate quickly. However, I would definitely wash it frequently and this is a cup that I only use so I am not concerned with spreading germs.

I would probably switch to inexpensive paper cups like those used at a dental office for sanitary purposes if multiple people were using the same cup in a bathroom. But I also don't have a communal hand towel either.

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:49 pm
SafeAtLast wrote:
Washing cups need to be washed out with a sponge every so often. (As often as the sinks preferably.) Or it turns all gooky.

I literally did not know this. How often do you wash your sinks (bathroom) and with what?
Problem is that I'm pregnant and this stuff all makes me nauseous. No cleaning lady..

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 9:55 pm
Amarante wrote:
How does a cup used for drinking become moldy?

Was it left out for a long period of time? I have discovered glasses that my children left that got moldy but aren't glasses that are used every day or twice a day washed every time they are used?

Is this a communal cup? I would not want the same cup to be used by multiple people. If I wash a cup that only had water I drain it and any tiny bit of dampness would evaporate quickly. However, I would definitely wash it frequently and this is a cup that I only use so I am not concerned with spreading germs.

I would probably switch to inexpensive paper cups like those used at a dental office for sanitary purposes if multiple people were using the same cup in a bathroom. But I also don't have a communal hand towel either.

It’s not a drinking cup. It’s a decorative cup, usually two-handled, used exclusively for netilas yadayim. I’ve seen them made from metal, ceramic, or porcelain. They stay in the sink or near it but very often remain damp for long periods of time and can easily develop mode. Make it a habit to swipe it with Clorox when you clean the bathroom, so that nothing too disgusting develops. Even if you already see mold, Clorox should do the trick.

gonewiththewind1

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:03 pm
[.

Last edited by gonewiththewind1 on Thu, Dec 23 2021, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 10:10 pm
tigerwife wrote:
It’s not a drinking cup. It’s a decorative cup, usually two-handled, used exclusively for netilas yadayim. I’ve seen them made from metal, ceramic, or porcelain. They stay in the sink or near it but very often remain damp for long periods of time and can easily develop mode. Make it a habit to swipe it with Clorox when you clean the bathroom, so that nothing too disgusting develops. Even if you already see mold, Clorox should do the trick.

Ah Ok - I assumed it was a drinking cup as I didn't read the title carefully.

As posted, I have found unpleasant growths in wet glasses my children had "hidden" so mold will grow in a receptacle even when it only has water and no other "food" for the mold to digest.

But as others wrote, cleaning with bleach or really any household cleanser you use for the bathroom as part of a routine will stop it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:28 pm
I wash stuff like that in the dishwasher often - weekly.

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:49 pm
Thank you everyone. This is eye-opening!
How do you, and with what products, and how often do you clean your stainless steel kitchen sinks and shower/bathtub?

Java

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:00 pm
Why don't you just replace it? How expensive could it possibly be...
IMO some things are not worth cleaning lol

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 9:45 am
41793371 wrote:
Thank you everyone. This is eye-opening!
How do you, and with what products, and how often do you clean your stainless steel kitchen sinks and shower/bathtub?

Sink: Mostly an old Scotchbrite or similar scrubbie, dishwashing liquid and hot water. Occasionally baking soda. An old toothbrush to loosen grunge in the crevice around the drain. Even less often, Bon Ami. How often? When my eye is offended.

The way to keep a tub white is what my parents did: scrub with scouring powder every,single,time you use the tub. Their tub was 100 years old if it was a day, and you needed sunglasses to look at it.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 9:55 am
Every other week or so I spray the inside and outside of the cups with Clorox, let sit, and wash out well. I found that it helps to flip the cups over or hang them upside down so the water doesn't pool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry