Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I'm the worst mother. 3yo cursing.
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Zehava

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 2:22 pm
gamanit wrote:
Just an example. I saw a six-year-old girl slapping her mother. That makes sense for a two-year-old. It is not age-appropriate for a first-grader.

I wouldn’t put it so far out of the realm of normal for a six-year-old

gamanit

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 2:32 pm
tp3 wrote:
Ok so how would you "deal with" the situation of a six year old slapping her mother?
To me "deal with" already has negative connotations.

Well for starters I wouldn't just continue to stand there letting myself get slapped. I'd probably hold the child by the wrist to prevent them from doing it again while talking to them. I also just can't imagine my kids doing something like that. It would be completely foreign to them.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 2:50 pm
gamanit wrote:
Well for starters I wouldn't just continue to stand there letting myself get slapped. I'd probably hold the child by the wrist to prevent them from doing it again while talking to them. I also just can't imagine my kids doing something like that. It would be completely foreign to them.

No one is advocating standing there and letting yourself get slapped. At the same time it happens that a six year old gets upset and frustrated and wants to slap. Those two things can be true at the same time.
And just because you can’t imagine your kids doing it doesn’t mean that it’s not age-appropriate or that there aren’t any kids out there who struggle with emotion regulation more than your kids do.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 2:57 pm
gamanit wrote:

Maybe the child has special needs or behavioral issues? Who knows?

tp3

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:14 pm
gamanit wrote:

My 6 yr old would also never hit me. If she was that frustrated she would deserve a hug anyway.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics