Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 month old wakes up for the day at 5. Help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:18 am
My baby doesn’t seem to need sleep! Since he was born he never fell asleep in the stroller or anywhere other than our arms and finally at 4 months old, his crib. He takes 3 naps a day for 45 min if we’re lucky. Goes to sleep for the night at 7/730 and then wakes up around 5 o’clock wide awake talking and squealing. My husband and I are exhausted. He doesn’t even eat when he wakes up, he just makes a racket. If we’re lucky he falls back asleep after 45 minutes of this and then is up again 45 minutes later.

Any tips? Any hope that he’ll be a good sleeper when he gets older? Aside for being severely sleep deprived from a 6 month long sleep debt, I’m worried that as he gets older he’ll get even harder and will want to be out and about so early in the morning.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:25 am
Uh. If he’s sleeping through the night you’re doing better than most of us! Every baby has their thing, sorry!

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:36 am
10 hours is a very normal night for a baby!
You can try switching to 2 naps and pushing bedtime to 8 pm.
Hopefully his naps will get longer if he is a bit more tired, and then slowly push bedtime back by 15 minutes each night until you are at 8 pm. He might start sleeping until 6 am.
Some kids just wake up early though, so if you try this for a couple of weeks and it’s not working, then you this is just something you might have to live with…

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 7:54 am
Sounds like he's sleeping really well at night!!! That's great!! More than any of my babies sleep lol!

Try to get to sleep earlier so you can get up with him at 5.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:12 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
Sounds like he's sleeping really well at night!!! That's great!! More than any of my babies sleep lol!

Try to get to sleep earlier so you can get up with him at 5.

This. I wouldn't make bedtime later. It'll probably cause more sleep disruptions. I'd try a feed and put back to bed in the morning to see if he'll sleep any more.

For day naps try shorter wake windows until he connects his sleep cycles.

But overall you sound pretty lucky. Go to bed earlier and you'll get tons of sleep.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:25 am
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
This. I wouldn't make bedtime later. It'll probably cause more sleep disruptions. I'd try a feed and put back to bed in the morning to see if he'll sleep any more.

For day naps try shorter wake windows until he connects his sleep cycles.

But overall you sound pretty lucky. Go to bed earlier and you'll get tons of sleep.

I can’t get to bed so early because I’m doing things once the kids go to bed! And this kid could be up for hours straight without showing signs of tiredness. We do a dream feed at 11 and he isn’t hungry when he gets up, he doesn’t eat usually.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:28 am
I would try to keep him up later. Push bedtime to 8:30 or 9 and see if that helps. Also make sure you have light blocking window treatments. It gets light super early in the summer!

lucky14

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 9:35 pm
He sleeps from 7/7:30 until 5 with just one dream feed? Honestly- leave well enough alone. I know it's annoying and hard to have to wake up so early (I've been there) but your baby is sleeping SO SO much more than many many others. Seriously just accept that this is actually a GOOD scenario.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:26 pm
You are so lucky that your baby sleeps so many hours straight! My first one was like this and also woke up at 5. It's very early but at least he's on a schedule, be thankful!

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can’t get to bed so early because I’m doing things once the kids go to bed! And this kid could be up for hours straight without showing signs of tiredness. We do a dream feed at 11 and he isn’t hungry when he gets up, he doesn’t eat usually.

I know you don't want to hear your baby is doing "well" when all you want is more sleep! Is there any way to do that stuff before the kids go to bed? If the baby isn't eating during the dream feed, go to sleep before then and see if it even makes a difference. If not, at least you can drop that task. Not all babies eat during dream feeds - mine didn't so I stopped trying.

Ooo I just realized you meant your baby doesn't eat when waking in the morning? That's very strange. Your baby should be hungry.

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:33 pm
At that age I keep bed time at 8 or 9 pm so they wake up at 6. By 1 or so, I move it back to 7, then eventually 6 once they drop their last nap around age 2.5.

And you're going to get a lot of jealous amothers around - never admit your little baby sleeps through the night in a public forum LOL

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:50 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
At that age I keep bed time at 8 or 9 pm so they wake up at 6. By 1 or so, I move it back to 7, then eventually 6 once they drop their last nap around age 2.5.

And you're going to get a lot of jealous amothers around - never admit your little baby sleeps through the night in a public forum LOL

Yeah… I see now that I’m not gonna get sympathy or tips for such an early morning wake up. My understanding was that babies should sleep 12 hours at night, especially since he really doesn’t sleep a lot by day. There were times he went to sleep later, like even 9 and he still woke up so early. It’s hard for me.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:57 am
My oldest did tbe same except also woke up multiple times during the night. It’s extremely hard. I think I’m still catching up on my debt five years later. There isn’t much you can do about it. Try black out shades and/or putting him in his own room even if it means a closet or bathroom (if you live in Brooklyn like me) just make sure to leave tbe door open a crack for ventilation.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah… I see now that I’m not gonna get sympathy or tips for such an early morning wake up. My understanding was that babies should sleep 12 hours at night, especially since he really doesn’t sleep a lot by day. There were times he went to sleep later, like even 9 and he still woke up so early. It’s hard for me.

I sympathize that he definitely should be sleeping more by day and it's impossible to breathe or get anything done when you're baby is up all day. Babies need to learn to connect sleep cycles and sometimes they need help. Our sleep consultant told us to do shorter wake windows because the baby was overtired (until the baby slept longer periods). She also told us to try to get baby to go back to sleep right after the 45 minutes but honestly I didn't have the energy for that. With the shorter wake windows, it really helped.

I don't agree with those saying a later bedtime would help. If your baby has a natural healthy circadian rhythm, listen to it. Most babies need to be sleeping before 8. For many pushing off bedtime will make baby wake more at night and get worse quality sleep.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:57 am
My daughter was basically on that schedule. All I could do was pull her into bed with me and nurse her and cuddle her and hope she fell back asleep until I was ready to get up. Eventually she started sleeping later.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 6:19 am
I'm tired thinking about getting up at 5. Yawn.

Thing is, he's sleeping from 7 to 5 and almost 2 hours cumulative during the day. That seems like a reasonable amount of sleep.

Maybe drop one of the naps and see what happens if you put him to bed at 6:30. Then you can go to bed earlier.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 6:21 am
You have my sympathy. My older ones were great sleepers and we could mold their schedule as we wanted. My baby now wakes up between 5-6. Doesn’t seem to matter when we put him in. Even 6 is too early for me, but 5 is just not manageable. Do you have blackout shades? Not that that majorly helps me, but worth a try.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 8:04 am
My baby did this for a while. I started feeding him anyways even though he wasnt crying and then putting him back in the crib with almost no interaction. Surprisingly, he went back to sleep.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 8:35 am
5am is a good time to wake up. You should learn tk adjust your morning.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

An average night is 10-12 hours. A lot of kids don't sleep 12 hours night.
12-14 hours overall sleep is average. So if your kid is on the lower end of sleep needs, 10 hours during the night and 2+ hours during the day is totally normal.
I do think you might be able to get chunkier naps by going to 2 naps. That helped us a lot. 3/3/4 schedule for wake windows.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics