Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New tenants trying to move in already
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:40 am
We are moving in 3 weeks. Since giving notice 2 months ago that we'd be out by the end of July, we've had prospective tenants coming by to see the place, which is fine, obviously the landlord needed to line up the next tenant. He signed a lease with the next people about a month ago, for August 1st. The new tenants have since come by a few times to measure stuff, which again, fine, I get they want to figure out where their furniture is going to go.

The last couple of weeks, however, they've been getting increasingly demanding. They wanted us to clear out an outdoor shed as well as one closet inside the house so they could start bringing some of their things. I said no. Then a few days ago, they asked us to relinquish the use of our driveway for the remained of our time here so they could park a storage container there. I said no.

Today I got a nasty call from the landlord saying he was going to start eviction proceedings if I don't cave to the new tenants. I laughed and told him go ahead and good luck with that. We own our new home, already closed, so an "eviction" can't hurt us. Anyway, an eviction procedure takes a lot longer than 3 weeks. I reminded him that our lease does not end until July 31, and we're actually doing him a favor that we'll be out by the 27th. But until the 27th, we are legally the tenants here and we don't owe anyone anything other than keeping the space in good condition and leaving it broom clean once we're out. He and the new tenant are now camping out on the lawn and peeking in the windows and it's really creepy and weird and I'm not sure what to do now.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:42 am
Ugh so Annoying we also had that when moving out that they wanted to put stuff in our apartment and I put my foot down and said no like the movers are going to be coming and stuff will get mixed up and it’s just not worth it.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:44 am
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If you can be accommodating then great, if it interferes with your functionality then put your foot down.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:44 am
Wow this is wrong on every level! What is wrong with people?

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are moving in 3 weeks. Since giving notice 2 months ago that we'd be out by the end of July, we've had prospective tenants coming by to see the place, which is fine, obviously the landlord needed to line up the next tenant. He signed a lease with the next people about a month ago, for August 1st. The new tenants have since come by a few times to measure stuff, which again, fine, I get they want to figure out where their furniture is going to go.

The last couple of weeks, however, they've been getting increasingly demanding. They wanted us to clear out an outdoor shed as well as one closet inside the house so they could start bringing some of their things. I said no. Then a few days ago, they asked us to relinquish the use of our driveway for the remained of our time here so they could park a storage container there. I said no.

Today I got a nasty call from the landlord saying he was going to start eviction proceedings if I don't cave to the new tenants. I laughed and told him go ahead and good luck with that. We own our new home, already closed, so an "eviction" can't hurt us. Anyway, an eviction procedure takes a lot longer than 3 weeks. I reminded him that our lease does not end until July 31, and we're actually doing him a favor that we'll be out by the 27th. But until the 27th, we are legally the tenants here and we don't owe anyone anything other than keeping the space in good condition and leaving it broom clean once we're out. He and the new tenant are now camping out on the lawn and peeking in the windows and it's really creepy and weird and I'm not sure what to do now.

Maybe call the police?

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:47 am
Such chutzpah. Good for you for putting your foot down. Are these people Jewish?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:51 am
Yes, everyone involved is Jewish. Landlord and new tenant are also the same nationality. I wonder if that's why they seem to be very in tune with each other.

Not sure about calling the police. I guess they could make the not-yet tenant go away, but the property does, of course, belong to the landlord.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, everyone involved is Jewish. Landlord and new tenant are also the same nationality. I wonder if that's why they seem to be very in tune with each other.

Not sure about calling the police. I guess they could make the not-yet tenant go away, but the property does, of course, belong to the landlord.
if they're Jewish, then try to avoid getting police involved unless it's a matter of safety. What they're doing is not not right.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:53 am
Crazy! I would just ignore and call the police if you ever feel physically in danger in any way from any of them.

freilich

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 11:55 am
Omg! This would be hilarious if it wouldn't be so disturbing. How crazy can people get? Or maybe entitled is the word here?

Omg again.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:00 pm
I’d call the police. So wrong and so crazy. What are they even thinking?!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:01 pm
Is your new house ready yet that you could tell them that you’ll move early if they cover July rent and last minute moving costs?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Is your new house ready yet that you could tell them that you’ll move early if they cover July rent and last minute moving costs?

No, the people who sold us the house are still living there until the 20th. They are actually paying us rent since the closing. We have a few minor things to do after they move out, which is why we're moving in a week later.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know nothing about laws where you live, but if you are renting the property, it is yours to use without being harrassed.

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 12:24 pm
I’d call shomrim.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:02 pm
Sounds like weird behavior on their part, I've never heard of anyone doing this before. Is there a reason why they're so desperate to have access to the property? Does their lease finish before yours? I just can't understand why they can't wait another 3 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Sounds like weird behavior on their part, I've never heard of anyone doing this before. Is there a reason why they're so desperate to have access to the property? Does their lease finish before yours? I just can't understand why they can't wait another 3 weeks.

If I had to guess, they don't want to pay for professional movers and are trying to move in multiple stages so they can do it themselves. But who knows.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:12 pm
Hang a no trespassing sign and call the cops.
(And obviously don't answer their calls.)

Very creepy and off.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Fabulous

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:13 pm
I would give a warning bec they are Jewish that the next time they are in your property you will call the police. Do you have video cameras?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 1:31 pm
If it wouldn't be so totally creepy and bizarre, it's kind of hilarious.
I would take pics and videos just for evidence, in case this gets any worse. I feel bad for You that this is what you have to deal with together with the stress you already have that often comes along with moving. Good luck!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating