Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
I want to want mashiach but..
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:18 pm
You would think with all that's going in the world, I would want mashiach. But no. I'm scared. Of change and the unknown. Of too much ruchniyus (I look like your typical frum woman but I've been struggling to "find myself" spiritually). Of more halachos and then not having a yetzer hara and then judgement and then everyone dies and olam habah which I try to convince myself is good but not if I'll be in gehinom. I try to tell myself that everyone's been wanting this for forever so it must be good! But that doesn't convince me. And when I think of all the sufferingggg omg so much suffering, communal and personal- I want them to go away, but it's not enough to make me want mashiach. I What should I do??? How can I want it more??

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:35 pm
As a Lubavitcher I am grateful to know that the Rebbe told us how happy and joyous we and the world will be when Moshiach comes.
Holding on to this in these trying times.
May we know only simchos.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:41 pm
What's the alternative? To continue in this world where there is horrible suffering, cruelty, destroying the planet, no truth or honesty, wars, famine, sickness?

Moshiach coming will correct that. If we don't have that to look forward to, then what do we have?

I really don't think extra mitzvos will be a big deal.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
As a Lubavitcher I am grateful to know that the Rebbe told us happy and joyous we and the world will be when Moshiach comes.
Holding on to this in these trying times.
May we know only simchos.

Yeah you need to learn what it will be like when he comes and forget all the scary mussar stuff you were taught.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:47 pm
I'm not interested either. What's life without suffering and without the yetzer hara, without room to grow? That doesn't sound like life at all. And someone who is happy all the time is not happy about it. We see that time and time again. Just my take.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:51 pm
And what's it like for tzaddikim in Gan Eden?
Why would they want moshiach to come?
Aren't they having it all good there already?

Maybe dying and going to heaven is equally as good.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:53 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I'm not interested either. What's life without suffering and without the yetzer hara, without room to grow? That doesn't sound like life at all. And someone who is happy all the time is not happy about it. We see that time and time again. Just my take.

I doubt Hashem made a mistake. I'm sure he has a plan for the times of moshiach and we will have a real life that will be good and happy and not just puppets on a string.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 2:59 pm
Yes what causemommysaid

I do not have to understand it all to know and trust it will be good beyond my wildest expectations.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:00 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I doubt Hashem made a mistake. I'm sure he has a plan for the times of moshiach and we will have a real life that will be good and happy and not just puppets on a string.

I'm trying to trust that.. but I don't really

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You don't have to. It's pretty hard to believe.

I was always taught that in Judaism we focus on olam hazeh anyways. Not some hypothetical wildly different future event.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:34 pm
You know Op I keep thinking about your question.
Such a great question.
Like most people I also don't like change and also am blessed with a great life B"H.
When you write "finding yourself spiritually" I realize that to me moshiach coming and the Geulah Shleimah means we truly find ourselves spiritually. Like we finally reach the point of being who we are really truly meant to be. In sync with ourselves. In sync with revealed G-dliness.
Not like we stay the same as we are now and live in a different world.
Like we get to be who we really are! We get to do that which we are truly intended to do and be!
And the whole world and everyone in it gets to experience and live this joyful purposeful clarity of being that which we are truly created to be.
Like I think it will be astoundingly awesome in ways we cannot even begin to realize now living in our more limited states and mixed up world. What it would be like to be living in a congruous holistic loving non judgemental world.
Talk about true personal growth!
Thank you Op.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You would think with all that's going in the world, I would want mashiach. But no. I'm scared. Of change and the unknown. Of too much ruchniyus (I look like your typical frum woman but I've been struggling to "find myself" spiritually). Of more halachos and then not having a yetzer hara and then judgement and then everyone dies and olam habah which I try to convince myself is good but not if I'll be in gehinom. I try to tell myself that everyone's been wanting this for forever so it must be good! But that doesn't convince me. And when I think of all the sufferingggg omg so much suffering, communal and personal- I want them to go away, but it's not enough to make me want mashiach. I What should I do??? How can I want it more??

So interesting because I thought so much like you. Then about 3 yrs ago something horrendous happened to me. Everything changed after that. The pain I was in and the uncertainty and fear I was living completely changed those feelings. All I desperately was/is Moshiach. But Op I totally understand what you are feeling.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
You don't have to. It's pretty hard to believe.

I was always taught that in Judaism we focus on olam hazeh anyways. Not some hypothetical wildly different future event.

You were taught to focus on Olam hazeh? Maybe that's something you misunderstood?
Since our neshama is clothed in a physical body and sent down to spend time here on earth we have to pay attention to our physical needs. We don't stop eating, drinking or breathing because we're focusing on our souls. We don't let the baby scream and our toddler climb inside the dryer because we're studying the commentaries on pirkei avot. Is that what you meant by focusing on olam hazeh? If that's what you meant then that would be the right thing. But while we're taking care of our own physical needs and those of the people we love, our primary focus is on our spiritual lives, on elevating our neshamot to the highest places we can reach, on our eternal existence long after our bodies cease to exist.
I also have to object to your referring to Mashiach's arrival as a hypothetical event. Something hypothetical would be something we suppose might happen based on things we saw or heard but we don't actually know it's real. Using the word "hypothetical" erases the "Ani ma'amin" that's at the root of our what we believe. We wait for Mashiach every day knowing his coming is as real as the sun coming up in the morning, the only difference being that we can't predict when it will happen.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:09 pm
Chills pansy thank you

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'm curious as to why not.

I guess my question is, if you believe that this very corrupt and messed up world is the best that there is out there, and you believe it was Hashems creation, then why is it such a leap to believe Hashem has a perfect plan for when moshiach comes and it doesn't involve us being stepford zombies who smile on cue?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

We'll have a yetzer hara but it'll be blunted because everything will be so obvious, so bechira will almost not be a factor. But there will still be some level of bechira.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 4:49 pm
I reference this every now and then. Some of the last few posts reminded me of this title.
https://www.amazon.com/Perfect.....58320

browser

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:37 pm
I highly recommend listening to Rabbi Mendel Kessins shiurim. He talks about the current messianic era and yemos hamoshiach- the stages that the world will go through. It's so comforting and uplifting.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:39 pm
Simplistic mashal:

Do you have a baby? If yes picture that love. Hashem loves us even more. Picture your baby wanting to be only in your arms, nowhere else. Being so content in your arms, so happy with your presence, never wanting to leave. That’s what I imagine we will feel like. Embraced in Hashem’s goodness.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 05 2021, 8:43 pm
So beautiful allthingsblue and browser agree rabbi kessin is so illuminating!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational