Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What has helped with emotional reactivity?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:07 am
My DD is 10 and has a zero emotional regulation in the heat of the moment. This comes out as anger (at sibling) or panic.

For example this morning she was saying she doesn't want to wait outside for too long in the heat at the bus stop. I told her wait inside by the window for a few minutes first.
But before I finish the sentence she was screaming "I CAN'T, I CAN'T, I CAN'T!" Because she was already assuming I was telling her to wait outside, without actually hearing me.

This is just a small scenario of what plays out many times a day.

We've tried counseling, and she's learned all the "tools" so many times to help with calming, but nothing actually helps in the heat of the moment.

She's on cotempla (same as concerta) and a clonidine patch to help with the regulation.

Her school is recommending ABA but I'm not so confident in that route.

Anybody has any advice on something that worked?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:09 am
My son is the same way. Here for the advice.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:10 am
yes.
time.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:11 am
If you are open to trying alternative things, working on gut health, addressing systemic inflammation and craniosacral therapy would be a good place to start. We have seen major improvement in distress tolerance, anxiety, impulsivity and emotional regulation by addressing those biological factors.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:14 am
What helped us was OT and floortime and most importantly deep inner work for myself (therapy and dbt group and Blimy Hellers parenting course)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:21 am
Thanks everyone!

amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
What helped us was OT and floortime and most importantly deep inner work for myself (therapy and dbt group and Blimy Hellers parenting course)

Are you in Lakewood? If yes would you recommend who you used for OT and floortime?

Zehava

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:27 am
Keep searching but I’d pass on ABA. ABA is for dolphins or at best very low functioning kids.
I second blimi hellers course.
I’d go back to the psychiatrist and see maybe her meds or dosage needs to be adjusted.
Look into her diet and see if there’s anything you can tweak. Maybe less sugar/food coloring.
Supplement with vitamins especially B vitamins which are good for the brain.
Physical exercise is great to let out all that energy.
Good luck!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:

Floortime is beautiful and magical and strengthens the parent child bond as you’re an active part of the process.
I’m not in Lakewood but there are threads here that you can check out regarding that

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 2:57 pm
Zehava wrote:
ABA is for dolphins or at best very low functioning kids.

This is incorrect. Please do not make blanket statements like this on public forums.

Zehava

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 3:58 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
This is incorrect. Please do not make blanket statements like this on public forums.

It’s my personal opinion based on experience. Feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)