Home

Bottle feeding

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:15 pm
My baby is 2 months old and she takes forever to drink a bottle. Sometimes can take an hour. She had a tongue tie removed at birth. Anyone else experienced this and know what could be the cause? We’ve tried different branded bottles
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:26 pm
What size nipple are you using?
Maybe she's just a lazy eater.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:30 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
What size nipple are you using?
Maybe she's just a lazy eater.

We’ve tried all different teat sizes. A lazy eater is a thing?
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:42 pm
Is she thriving and growing?
Does she eventually finish the bottle?
Does she fall asleep?
Does she like breaks in the middle of a feeding?
Have you tried the medical hi flow ones?

If she's still growing nicely I wouldn't worry. If she falls asleep before finishing and therefore isn't getting enough calories then I'd recommend trying a hi flow nipple or adding a booster.
Back to top

amother




Firebrick
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’ve tried all different teat sizes. A lazy eater is a thing?


Yes, some babies are lazy eaters. How is her development otherwise? Her head control? Do you think she might be low muscle tone?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:45 pm
nchr wrote:
Is she thriving and growing?
Does she eventually finish the bottle?
Does she fall asleep?
Does she like breaks in the middle of a feeding?
Have you tried the medical hi flow ones?

If she's still growing nicely I wouldn't worry. If she falls asleep before finishing and therefore isn't getting enough calories then I'd recommend trying a hi flow nipple or adding a booster.

I mean she’s growing but I can’t feed a bottle for an hour. It’s frustrating both of us
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I mean she’s growing but I can’t feed a bottle for an hour. It’s frustrating both of us


Have you tried a hi flow nipple?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 4:52 pm
nchr wrote:
Have you tried a hi flow nipple?

What is that? U mean fast flow?
Back to top

mizle10




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:12 pm
How many oz is she drinking?
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 5:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is that? U mean fast flow?


Yes. There are medical ones as well.
Back to top

amother




Whitesmoke
 

Post Tue, Jul 06 2021, 10:26 pm
NICU nurse here. Posting anonymously so I don’t out myself. The most important metric obviously is weight gain, but an hour-long bottle feeding is not normal. Babies typically shouldn’t feed for more than 30 minutes, otherwise they start to burn more calories than they are consuming. It varies a lot by baby- maybe she is taking breaks, napping, easily distracted, using an inappropriate nipple size, etc. An experienced speech therapist can diagnose the problem and point you in the right direction. Just make sure the therapist you consult with is experienced in infant feeding!
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Feeding Therapists- My 18 month old won't eat, what to do?
by amother
19 Sun, Sep 19 2021, 12:01 am View last post
How long does an opened bottle of wine last for?
by amother
6 Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:14 pm View last post
Cereal in bottle-how to do this
by amother
4 Tue, Aug 31 2021, 2:44 pm View last post
Newborn gets hiccups after every feeding
by amother
4 Wed, Aug 04 2021, 10:14 pm View last post
Baby dropped a bottle feeding
by amother
8 Sun, Jul 11 2021, 6:35 pm View last post