Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you pack unhealthy snack for your kids school everyday?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 3:54 pm
small bean wrote:
I think it's naive to think if we gave healthy options all kids would just eat it. Some kids will still starve because they don't like it.

I have 8 kids, all growing up with the same exposure to food. None of them eat the same things. Some of them are very hungry and won't eat anything if there's nothing around that they like. Some people don't eat whatever they are given.

Right?
Dh goes crazy when I make scrambled eggs for dinner. He doesn’t get it. But he didn’t grow up in a family of picky eaters. If the only option I give is chicken and rice some of my kids will end up malnourished.
One of my sisters subsisted on a menu of around 4-5 different foods until the age of 13.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 3:57 pm
Zehava wrote:
Right?
Dh goes crazy when I make scrambled eggs for dinner. He doesn’t get it. But he didn’t grow up in a family of picky eaters. If the only option I give is chicken and rice some of my kids will end up malnourished.
One of my sisters subsisted on a menu of around 4-5 different foods until the age of 13.

I wish all my kids woukd eat eggs. Good protien.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 3:57 pm
Ah, the picky eater argument. Ironically, nobody realizes that picky eating past toddler years is generally a direct outgrowth of standard western diets. Either directly or indirectly. Watch the Magic Pill on Netflix to see how quickly an autistic kid started eating real food after subsisting on a diet of McDonald’s chicken nuggets and fishy crackers for years when her parents removed those options. Kids restrict themselves to foods that give them that addictive fix. Sometimes it’s sensory, which is tied right back to gut health. It’s really as simple as that. Maybe a couple of outliers, but not a huge proportion of kids.

small bean

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:00 pm
And btw most important thing to me is my kids don't come home hungry. Kids who hungry don't eat a good dinner. The can't function properly in school and at home.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:01 pm
small bean wrote:
And btw most important thing to me is my kids don't come home hungry. Kids who hungry don't eat a good dinner. The can't function properly in school and at home.
Kids who eat danishes and Pringle’s consistently may not be hungry, but they don’t do well in school either.

keym

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
Kids who eat danishes and Pringle’s consistently may not be hungry, but they don’t do well in school either.

Good to know.
I'll tell my kids who eats 1-2 snack bags a day that they really didn't do well in school notwithstanding what their report card says.

Are you this militant about all other safety needs.
Because I get more irritated about my kids friends who don't wear helmets while biking and roller blading and making comments if my son does wear a helmet.
Because helmet wearing is actually not a sum total thing.
If I wanted to start up with my neighbors, it would be about helmet wearing, and boys hitching, and buckling in the cars.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:11 pm
No, I don’t give my kids junk food on a regular basis, let alone every day.

Healthy eating is a habit, and I like to set up my children with good habits.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:12 pm
Zehava wrote:
Right?

Lol my children eat everything, including beets. However, on Pesach one child who loves variety told me she is afraid ch'v something can happen to her if she continues eating so many beets!

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:13 pm
No, I rarely do.

They get plenty of junk food and nosh at school as part of school activities. I send healthy foods or real foods that they like so they don't only eat junk all day.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:13 pm
jj1236 wrote:
We also send hippeas which my kids love. I also make whole wheat sugar free muffins my kids love too. That's why I think I'm doing a good balance. If my daughter s hungry she'll go into the fridge and happily take an apple. But I will now make sure to ask her morah if she ever starts asking friends for snacks and if that happens I'll reevaluate.

I’m guessing your kids are still little. I started sending these snacks when my kids told me about their schnorring habits. In the younger grades the school had an only healthy snacks rule. Somehow in 3rd grade it went totally out the window and I’m really sad about it. It’s all about the hot sauce and ketchup chips now. And apparently kids bring actual nosh as well.

ora_43

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I agree. Neoongreen, you aren't changing those on your block or your kids schools. Either you can convince your children to follow your healthy ideals or maybe find a like minded community of friends and neighbors?

Is 'don't give candy to other people's kids right before dinner' a healthy ideal now? And here I thought that was just basic normal adult behavior.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:18 pm
Ah, the picky eater argument. Ironically, nobody realizes that picky eating past toddler years is generally a direct outgrowth of standard western diets. Either directly or indirectly. Watch the Magic Pill on Netflix to see how quickly an autistic kid started eating real food after subsisting on a diet of McDonald’s chicken nuggets and fishy crackers for years when her parents removed those options. Kids restrict themselves to foods that give them that addictive fix. Sometimes it’s sensory, which is tied right back to gut health. It’s really as simple as that. Maybe a couple of outliers, but not a huge proportion of kids.

LOL
You really haven’t met my siblings. And as I mentioned we grew up in a health-obsessed household.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:19 pm

Please tell me what ds should eat at school for snack. For sensory reasons, it has to be crunchy. He has braces, so no whole fruit, no carrot sticks, and the like. As per school rules, no nuts or anything containing them. He won't eat anything that goes brown or mushy, even around the edges, and yes, we've tried the rubber band trick. And most importantly, it will be eaten while standing up in the playground or blacktop, quickly, with whatever it's in getting discarded.

So yes, usually chips or thin pretzels or crunchy cookies. I challenge anyone who requires the snacks to be fruits and veggies to help with this.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:19 pm

And here my kids are bored in school because they get the material three days before their friends do.
But I guess you know how they’re doing no better than me?

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:23 pm
Zehava wrote:
LOL
You really haven’t met my siblings. And as I mentioned we grew up in a health-obsessed household.

I believe this. I have a sibling who only ate 5ish foods until she was 12, except for when petch was involved into the equation. She spent almost every day after supper sitting in the corner or at the table because she wouldn't eat her entire supper and then the next morning the same thing.
I'll never do this to my children.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:28 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
They are learning terrible eating habits. At what point will they switch from eating yummy addictive treats all day to eating healthfully?

In the teen years, many girls who are weight conscious start turning to healthier foods and the peer pressure then tilts in the other direction.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:30 pm
Simple1 wrote:
In the teen years, many girls who are weight conscious start turning to healthier foods and the peer pressure then tilts in the other direction.

Oh the high school salad craze

Simple1

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:32 pm
One dd used to happily trade her snack bag for her friends' healthy snack. I didn't know this until one day she came home with leftovers.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:36 pm
Simple1 wrote:

Yup. Thats exactly where my teen is. She has not touched a potato chip in years.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 07 2021, 4:48 pm
I didn't real all of this thread, because the topic makes my blood boil.

Why don't schools have a "no sharing food" policy? All public schools have this, and they are extremely strict about it because there are a variety of allergies, not to mention different religious beliefs. You eat what you bring, or you take a fruit from the "share table". No swapping allowed EVER.

Public schools also don't give out junk on a daily basis. There's a huge emphasis on nutritional education starting in the earliest grades.

For those of you who allow junk, or who allow the schools to give junk, how are your kids coping in school? I wonder how many of you have had the school insist that you get your kids evaluated, put on ADD meds, or who punish your kids for acting out?

How many kids come home and have huge meltdowns because all they've eaten that day is starch and sugar?

Whatever you eat, becomes the building blocks of your body. This is especially true when you are young and growing fast. Garbage in, garbage out.

Since when did we start letting our parenting be dictated by "Everyone else's parents let!"
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children